Allure- Azipod repairs?

Recently, I ready that Allure was going to have some slight schedule changes due to repairs being needed on one of her 3 azipods, right?

Being new to cruising, I have no idea whether I'll have any tendency towards motion sickness on a huge cruise ship. My guess is no, but that's not necessarily certain.

I understand that if Allure is sailing with just 2 of her azipods functional, the captain will be less likely to use the stabilizers because they cause too much drag, therefore slowing the ship further.

Watching tropical storm Emily blow in prompted me to ask whether we know if the azipod will be fixed, because I'd like to know if I should give real thought to bringing bonine or something similar.

For those of you who have cruised though higher seas and rough weather, how did it affect you?

Recently, I ready that Allure was going to have some slight schedule changes due to repairs being needed on one of her 3 azipods, right?

Being new to cruising, I have no idea whether I'll have any tendency towards motion sickness on a huge cruise ship. My guess is no, but that's not necessarily certain.

I understand that if Allure is sailing with just 2 of her azipods functional, the captain will be less likely to use the stabilizers because they cause too much drag, therefore slowing the ship further.

Watching tropical storm Emily blow in prompted me to ask whether we know if the azipod will be fixed, because I'd like to know if I should give real thought to bringing bonine or something similar.

For those of you who have cruised though higher seas and rough weather, how did it affect you?

She arrived late Saturday night. It would seem that they worked on the propulsion problems overnight. Allure left about an hour later than usual.

I'm on the Allure right now. There doesn't seem to be an issue with anything. We were originally told we wouldn't sail until midnight because they needed to "do maintenance" but they announced at the muster drill that the repairs had been completed early and we left on time. I'm in a cabin near the front of the ship and barely feel any movement. Feels pretty stable to me :-)!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are prone to motion sickness, absolutely bring your drug of choice with you. Guest services also has some they give out for free, but it is better to bring what you know works best for you.

We have sailed Allure and did not feel a lot of motion but everyone reacts to it differently. I tend to feel motion when I am in the shower or in the theater. I just sailed NCL Dawn last week and ran into many people who were complaining about the seas. One group I saw from my hometown told us it was there first and last cruise because they didn't like the feeling of swaying all the time. We walked away asking each other, what sway?

As far as the azipod issue, nothing has been confirmed as to what is going on. Cruise Critic is great for lots of speculation and at times, bad information concerning problems, so don't worry too much. The cruise line is not going to let their huge investment sail with thousands of people if it is not safe to be on the seas. They will do their best to avoid the bad weather or at least minimize the amount of time you are in rougher seas, if they can.

Just go prepared and try not to read too many reviews from amateur marine engineers.

😂. I'll try to ignore the amateur engineers! Just was trying to gauge whether I need to hedge my bets. I'm 99% sure that both my son and I would actually enjoy a little rocking of the ship, and that neither of us will get sick at all. We've got an ocean view balcony, so we can always sit out there and keep an eye on the horizon if anything starts to feel too wacky. Thanks, all!

I will be on the Allure this Sunday, Aug. 6th. Just received an email last night that there has been a slight change in our itinerary. It seems that we will now leave Nassau one hour earlier and arrive in St. Thomas one hour later than originally scheduled. They said it is due to a "small speed restriction". Not sure what that means, but it sounds like they are having issues with their propulsion and cannot reach their normal cruising speed. Of course, I am not an engineer and do not play one on TV. So, that is purely my assumption...for what it's worth.

Given the time frame in Allure's life, and the time required to complete the work, I would say this was a propeller polishing prior to the required underwater inspection in lieu of drydocking.

As to stabilizer deployment, while many folks on CC believe that they are not deployed often due to drag and fuel consumption, that isn't exactly true. First off, the ships are traveling at slower speeds than before, and stabilizers are less effective at lower speeds. Therefore, they are not always deployed at slower speeds since they won't do much. Most will self-retract below about 6 knots. And unless the ship needs to make absolute full speed to make port, the Captain will deploy stabilizers regardless of fuel consumption if he feels the passengers are uncomfortable. Finally, most cruisers don't know that stabilizers won't stop the ship from rolling, nor will it lessen the degree that it rolls to. Stabilizers require some roll motion to become active, and then they only work "out of synch" with the ship's motion to slow the roll down to a comfortable period, as cruise ships without stabilizers tend to have very quick, or "snap" rolling motion. So, the stabilizers may actually be deployed but the ship is still rolling.