Walking in Skagway... which direction?

go4ak

Our ship will be docked at the Railroad dock from 7:30-5:30.

I'm trying to decide whether to do the walk to the Gold Rush Cemetery or to Yakutania Point.

Interested in scenery and photo opportunities. Wildlife would be a plus - but no bears as I'll be by myself.

They are in opposite directions.

Has anyone done both?

Is one "better" than the other?

How long (time wise) does it take to get to each one?

Is it possible to do both in a day?

Thanks in advance.

I walked from town to the Cemetary ; it was about 1 1/2 miles. I didnt do a RT walk though as i was catching a small plane from the skagway airport after the hike. I walked alone and felt comfortable. To save time, take the city bus to the edge of town and ask the driver to let you off at the closest point.

Look at the Smart Bus web site for bus info and route map.

Havent done Yakutania trail, but there's deatailed info on the skagway web site for distance and time.

I think you can easily do both. Given your preference for scenery, I'd do Yakutania Point and then Smuggler's Cove first. The walk is primarily

flat with beautiful views. It probably takes half an hour at the most, to walk to the trail head, depending on where you dock. I think it's well worth the extra time to do Smugglers Cove - the trail is about a half mile to the point and another half mile to the cove. Once you get to the trail head, it should take about a leisurely hour, with plenty of time for pictures and admiring the scenery.

You can then walk back across the foot bridge and walk along the river or through town to get to the cemetery and Lower Reid Falls. It's about four miles round trip from the dock to the falls, and the entire round trip is about two hours, so you'll even have time to stroll through town! The cemetery is interesting and the walk back to the falls is beautiful.

Google Dewey Lake Trail System and you'll find a pdf file with a description of the trails around Skagway. The National Park Service information center has hard copies of the trail booklet.

A harder hike right near the docks, but beautiful, is to Lower Dewey Lake. It's steep and is about one mile to the lake, and if you go around the lake before you return, it's a total distance of about three and a half miles. I did Lower Dewey Lakes and the cemetery/falls in the same day, and still had time for ambling through town. I did the point and cove on a different trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums