Carnival got me!

fla gang

I don't understand the need for a customer service agent or PVP to have to explain every last detail to someone.

When I was a brand new cruiser. (Which was just 3 years ago...I'm still very new but well informed) I went to Carnival's web site and read FOR MYSELF every word. I took it upon MYSELF to educate MYSELF on all policies.

Since I knew nothing going in, I wouldn't have known the right questions to even ask a customer service agent.

After learning a ton of information on the website, I found this forum and learned even more.

The information is out there. You just have to be willing to look for the answers and then you have no one to blame when something like this happens.

(Which in my opinion is all most people want anyway)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is like blaming Carnival for bad weather on your cruise. Why is it Carnivals responsibility to make sure you aware of penalties on deposits. Do you go through life handing people your money and not reading about cancellation policies. I'm sorry your out your money but this might have helped so it isn't a larger amount next time. I hope you still are able to enjoy some kind of vacation.

I don't think arguing over what is said on the phone matters. What matters is the reservation form, contract and terms of your booking. Make sure you receive them in 24 hours. Read them. Check everything - date of booking, ships, spelling of names, cabin, charges, payment terms, cancellation terms, etc.... If there is an error or change you need make it right away, they will do it. If they don't make the change then cancel and start over.

Caveat emptor applies here.

To me, this is ancient thinking. Especially with a major corporation, one that wants to have to reputation of being reputable, the buyer should not have to think of every proper question to ask to avoid getting tricked.

Now, perhaps they did explain that it was a restricted fare, and the OP missed it, or didn't think it would be an issue. This might be the most likely scenario.

But in general, I think it is a dangerous argument whenever someone says, "You didn't stop me from cheating you, so it is YOUR fault." (I'm not saying that anyone here said that.)

Also, most states (and all Credit Cards) have processes to contest almost any purchase, so once you get the documentation, if you find out it wasn't what you wanted, you can dispute the purchase. Usually the company (if they wish to be reputable) will willingly refund the purchase, as long as you do it in like three days or so.

All the best! It certainly can be confusing.

Ok not saying this is what happened, willing to bet I am close. PVP said, "booking early saver that will be xXxX. Does that work for you." OP replays, " sounds good lets go ahead and book it."

That is the basic outline used by the PVPs. So not asking what is early saver is the fault of the OP.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Forums mobile app

To me, this is ancient thinking. Especially with a major corporation, one that wants to have to reputation of being reputable, the buyer should not have to think of every proper question to ask to avoid getting tricked.

Now, perhaps they did explain that it was a restricted fare, and the OP missed it, or didn't think it would be an issue. This might be the most likely scenario.

But in general, I think it is a dangerous argument whenever someone says, "You didn't stop me from cheating you, so it is YOUR fault." (I'm not saying that anyone here said that.)

Also, most states (and all Credit Cards) have processes to contest almost any purchase, so once you get the documentation, if you find out it wasn't what you wanted, you can dispute the purchase. Usually the company (if they wish to be reputable) will willingly refund the purchase, as long as you do it in like three days or so.

That is why using a TA answers the bell. You have an agent who's job it is to make sure of those things for you. Also, for the record, nobody was cheated.

So I called Carnival and booked two inside cabins. Paid the $500 per cabin, only to have something come up a couple of weeks later that was not going to allow me to go. I called to Cancel the two cabins and Carnival said you lose $50 per person and we can hold the rest of your $500 per cabin for a future cruise. So they never told me when I booked these cabins that they were early saver and non refundable. When I printed the confirmation I never knew I had to read every bit of the fine on the ticket contract all the way to the bottom. That wouldn't have mattered because they had my money end of discussion! So what did I do wrong?

You didn't read every tiny bit of information that is on their website, always ready the fine print, always.

I don't understand the need for a customer service agent or PVP to have to explain every last detail to someone.

When I was a brand new cruiser. (Which was just 3 years ago...I'm still very new but well informed) I went to Carnival's web site and read FOR MYSELF every word. I took it upon MYSELF to educate MYSELF on all policies.

Since I knew nothing going in, I wouldn't have known the right questions to even ask a customer service agent.

After learning a ton of information on the website, I found this forum and learned even more.

The information is out there. You just have to be willing to look for the answers and then you have no one to blame when something like this happens.

(Which in my opinion is all most people want anyway)

This exactly! Even when I call for price drops I make sure they understand that I'm matching with past guest rates only not the cheapest fare available. It's natural for them to want to give you the best rate available however YOU need to be responsible and understand all the rules of that fare. Be accountable and stop blaming others for your decisions!

Except that Carnival didn't cheat. The policies are posted for anyone to read if they choose to BEFORE purchasing a cruise.

Disputing the purchase won't get you anywhere either because Carnival will point out the posted policies to the CC company. A CC company is not going to refund you money because of a customer's failure to read said policies.

Not confusing at all. I would expect all people to research a product before laying down a large amount of money. And unlike a robbery of your home because you didn't lock the doors, this isn't a violation of law.

So I called Carnival and booked two inside cabins. Paid the $500 per cabin, only to have something come up a couple of weeks later that was not going to allow me to go. I called to Cancel the two cabins and Carnival said you lose $50 per person and we can hold the rest of your $500 per cabin for a future cruise. So they never told me when I booked these cabins that they were early saver and non refundable. When I printed the confirmation I never knew I had to read every bit of the fine on the ticket contract all the way to the bottom. That wouldn't have mattered because they had my money end of discussion! So what did I do wrong?

You failed to read the fine print. It's there for a reason, not to protect you, but to protect Carnival from you. So, no big deal, book another cruise and next time, read the fine print.

• 5 months later...

It is YOUR job to read the fine print, your job to read what you are book, your job to do your research before making the commitment, Devil is in the details dear.

And you didn’t handle the details.

This is your love and learn lesson to do a better job next time or get a travel agent who can. *They are free*

There was no fine print to read because I was on the phone and not near a computer. Once I gave her the credit card number it was all over. So you are telling me it's my responsibility to ask them all of the questions. I thought they were to let me know if a certain rate was non refundable or not.

Yes. It’s your money, ask questions.

Isn't the answer clear what you did wrong... this is like talking to my kids. You obviously already know and displayed your ignorance on this matter. Why seek additional punishment by posting this in the first place? Quite the conundrum[emoji848]

Exactly

It is YOUR job to read the fine print, your job to read what you are book, your job to do your research before making the commitment, Devil is in the details dear.

And you didn’t handle the details.

This is your love and learn lesson to do a better job next time or get a travel agent who can. *They are free*

CALM down, this thread is six months old.

Now you know, READ THE SMALL PRINT!;)