How much do your kids spend on board?

Daphne'sMom

My extended family will be cruising on the Magic over spring break. This will be the first cruise for several in our group including my nephew (15), niece (12) and grandson (6). It has been awhile since my daughter was in that age range and I honestly can't remember what we set for her spending limit. I was thinking about getting $100 gift cards for the older two as either Christmas or birthday gifts prior to the cruise to pad their onboard account. Does this seem realistic? I know they could purchase bottomless bubbles and something(s) from the gift shop....

Yes, that helps. I am thinking they might be busy exploring & enjoying the ship and don't want them to have to go shopping just for the sake of using up the money on their account. I don't recall DD spending a lot back when she was that age - in fact one cruise I think she spent most of her $$ on pictures she and her new cruise friends had taken together.

We gave our 13 year old a $200 limit. He could spend it all within an hour of being on the ship, or he could spend it over the duration of a 7-8 day cruise. That was up to him. We rarely saw him on the ship so it was up to him what he did with it. Our 5 year old was with us most of the time so he didn't have a limit. It's not like he could go out and spend a fortune.

We gave our 13 year old a $200 limit. He could spend it all within an hour of being on the ship, or he could spend it over the duration of a 7-8 day cruise. That was up to him. We rarely saw him on the ship so it was up to him what he did with it. Our 5 year old was with us most of the time so he didn't have a limit. It's not like he could go out and spend a fortune.

With us it was a 13 yr old and 5 year old but grandkids. We gave the 13 year old a $200 limit but only put the first $100 on his account. He knew he was getting additional money mid week. We did this to help teach him to budget. He did well. Almost all of his money was spent in the arcade. He did purchase a week long pass to the thrill theater.

I never set a limit with my kids but I don't think either of them spent over $40 on any of our 10 cruises with them. My son never purchased anything other than a ship model to add to his collection. My daughter would buy a few small ($10 or less) souvenirs and a couple virgin drinks. Neither of them were interested in the arcade or candy shop. Neither of them drank pop (their choice). Everything else was basically included.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Youngest I have taken was 15. I told her to get the drinks she wanted (she loves specialty coffees and virgin drinks) and to feel free to enjoy the sushi bar without me, and that if she thought I might question a purchase to check with me first. I can't remember exactly but I think her account came to less than $70 both that year and the next.

I also told her what I was willing to spend on photos and if she wanted more than that she would have to use her own spending money, which her mom had supplied.

I checked her account each night on the tv to be sure there would be no surprises at the end. My biggest surprise was how little she spent.

My 18 year old on the last cruise was given a spending limit of $200. Prior to reaching 18 it was $150.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I must say, I am perplexed at an 18 year old adult with a limit. :confused:

When I cruised as a kid I didn't have a limit but I also really spend much. 1 or 2 virgin daiquiris per day, maybe a keychain/tshirt and a few dollars at the arcade. With the addition of Cherry on Top and milkshakes and things of that nature these days, I think 100-150 for a week is fine.

The 6 year old is too young to be "out and about" without an adult, who can purchase anything for him you want him to have, or that he needs. A young child doesn't need to have any fund on their account..they are on the parent's account!

The other 2 kids are old enough to go places on their own, and what you allow them depends on your pocketbook and spending habits! I'm with some of the others....whatever you give them, let it be up to them when and how they spend it...but when it's gone...oh well! It's a great way for kids to learn to budget their funds!

When it's my money and not his? Why are you perplexed?

My stepson will be 18 this school year. He primarily lives with his mom. She does not allow him to work, as school is him main focus. Therefore he doesn't have his own money, we would definitely put a limit on him if he was to go with us on a cruise (or any vacation for that matter).

My stepson will be 18 this school year. He primarily lives with his mom. She does not allow him to work, as school is him main focus. Therefore he doesn't have his own money, we would definitely put a limit on him if he was to go with us on a cruise (or any vacation for that matter).

Exactly. My son had turned 18 three weeks earlier and didn't work. I used it as a learning tool as I always do. When we first started cruising he'd burn through his money in 2 days. This way he has learned to manage it better. Which is teaching him budgeting. Now that he has his first job I am teaching him how to save and not spend all his money in one fell swoop.

The OP's youngest (grandson) is 6; I'm wondering at what age do you let them have the freedom to go around the ship on their own and carry their own card? My son will be 4 on our next cruise, and obviously that's too young. But what age is good?

When it's my money and not his? Why are you perplexed?

I guess I was just more thinking about the average 18 year old who works and has their own money. The person is adult and I was thinking you wouldn't let an adult spend their own money. Sure I can understand if it's your money, only giving them $X amount.

The OP's youngest (grandson) is 6; I'm wondering at what age do you let them have the freedom to go around the ship on their own and carry their own card? My son will be 4 on our next cruise, and obviously that's too young. But what age is good?

Several threads/debates about this. Some parents are helicopter parents and others aren't. My oldest started going off on his own and spending on his own (with spending limits, as indicated previously) when he was 11 or 12.. There are always those younger running around by themselves also. There's no right or wrong answer. Use your judgement with your kids.

I guess I was just more thinking about the average 18 year old who works and has their own money. The person is adult and I was thinking you wouldn't let an adult spend their own money. Sure I can understand if it's your money, only giving them $X amount.

It's all good. He had only turned 18 three weeks earlier and was still a high school senior.

We budget $25 a day each for the kids to spend. It's already built into the vacation budget, they save a portion of it themselves, and are free to enjoy all the kids stuff onboard that kids like. They don't always spend that much but that is what we budget and what they are told they are allotted. Not everything they enjoy doing costs money but if it does, they have it. I have never cut off charging privileges. They like buying and signing for shakes, etc. After 4 cruises with the kids and a 5th coming up in two weeks, this seems to work out best. We had one hiccup with the arcade where my son went a little bonkers. He learned his lesson. We made sure of it. lol. No issues since.

Whenever you feel comfortable doing so.

For my parents, they allowed me out on my own when I was 11 or 12 which is also when I started cruising. Each child is different, there's no one size fits all answer.

The 6 year old is too young to be "out and about" without an adult, who can purchase anything for him you want him to have, or that he needs. A young child doesn't need to have any fund on their account..they are on the parent's account!

The other 2 kids are old enough to go places on their own, and what you allow them depends on your pocketbook and spending habits! I'm with some of the others....whatever you give them, let it be up to them when and how they spend it...but when it's gone...oh well! It's a great way for kids to learn to budget their funds!

No, 6 year old would not be out alone and about shopping - although he is a charmer;p:rolleyes:. If I give him a gift card, I'm sure DD would make sure balance was used. The older two are the ones I am more concerned about.

It's been some years since we had to fund DD's account and there have been a "few" changes since then. I was concerned about any unused funds from the gift cards being refunded with a remaining balance gift card. I am starting to think cash may be the way to go so they can put what they want on their account or spend some in the ports. I was leaning towards gift cards because I can get them at a discount and they have a picture of the Carnival funnel on them. Ultimately, their parents will be responsible for setting their limits but won't mind if I give them some "discretionary funds".

My extended family will be cruising on the Magic over spring break. This will be the first cruise for several in our group including my nephew (15)' date=' niece (12) and grandson (6). It has been awhile since my daughter was in that age range and I honestly can't remember what we set for her spending limit. I was thinking about getting $100 gift cards for the older two as either Christmas or birthday gifts prior to the cruise to pad their onboard account. Does this seem realistic? I know they could purchase bottomless bubbles and something(s) from the gift shop....[/quote']

My DD will spend probably about $50-$100 on a cruise. She doesn't play in the arcade, but will hit up cherry-on-top for a few bucks. Most of it is on virgin drinks and souvenirs. If she wants anything else or substantial she'll come and ask us.