Do you pack a new item to wear each night on a 14 night cruise?

birdie16

We buy clothing that is lightweight and travels well. We dress in layers. One pair of shoes on our feet, another in the bag, and a small pair of sandals. Everything gets worn multiple times or it does not make it in the bag. Works well for us no matter where we travel. We have no issue with paying for laundry. We don't require dry cleaning because we will not travel with dry clean only clothing.

Aside from one senior on the Noordam who wore a short skirt and gogo boots each day of the cruise my wife and I never took the time to take notes on whether or not people repeated their outfits..

MIX and MATCH, pack light for 2/3 the cruise length and send out your laundry.

bosco

I think I have really noticed what 2 fellow cruise passengers were wearing. One was a man who wore plastic tarps tied around his waist with rope and the other was a woman who wore her life jackets 24/7 for the entire cruise. Other than that, I may take notice of an outfit when I see it, but it is quickly forgotten.

I think I have really noticed what 2 fellow cruise passengers were wearing. One was a man who wore plastic tarps tied around his waist with rope and the other was a woman who wore her life jackets 24/7 for the entire cruise. Other than that, I may take notice of an outfit when I see it, but it is quickly forgotten.

So, you've also sailed with 'Tarp Man'. He is a Dutch school teacher who is known for his tarps. He told one of shipmates that he has 5(?) different colored tarps from which he chooses which one to bring. On our cruise it was his blue tarp. He didn't have it tied around his waist, but rather chained. It was a fairly heavy chain, fastened together by a large padlock. We sailed with him in Northern Europe. Our recent table mates noticed him on a Panama Canal cruise. Like you said, one does notice him.

So, you've also sailed with 'Tarp Man'. He is a Dutch school teacher who is known for his tarps. He told one of shipmates that he has 5(?) different colored tarps from which he chooses which one to bring. On our cruise it was his blue tarp. He didn't have it tied around his waist, but rather chained. It was a fairly heavy chain, fastened together by a large padlock. We sailed with him in Northern Europe. Our recent table mates noticed him on a Panama Canal cruise. Like you said, one does notice him.

On our cruise, he had a blue & a green tarp for everyday wear and a red one for formal nights. I remember the distinctive aroma was as noticeable as the choice of outfits.

Re: laundry...on our last cruise my husband spilled spaghetti sauce on his white sweater (the only one he had brought other than a sweatshirt)...overnight the Dry Cleaning service got it out...perfect. We always use the laundry, but make sure if you have dry cleaning it's separately bagged AND you notify your steward it's for Dry Cleaning only. (And make sure you have written it on the right side of the slip.)

Yes, we wear our hiking shoes that are waterproof, good on cobblestones, etc. on every flight to a cruise, take sandals that go with dressy or not, and comfy shoes to wear on the ship. Off the ship we are always in the hiking shoes. Hubby takes deck shoes for everyday on the ship, and one pair "good shoes" for evenings.

I still pack too much but I have cut WAY down on shoes. I like choices.

As far as remembering what anyone wears, I can't remember what I wear a week later. :loudcry:

One exception was our first cruise. Our table mate wore the same t-shirt with a parrot on it every single night for 12 nights. :o

Cheers, Denise

Just curious. I love to pack light but we are going on a 14 night cruise. Do you wear repeats? I don't want to lug double the luggage I usually do for a 7 night cruise.

As much as I would like to say I pack light, I never do! LOL I spent my Airline career flying with only one bag & a small carry-on.. Got tired of scrimping on clothes & shoes & when we started cruising I packed a lot! .. On our 68 day SA/Antarctica cruise DH & I shipped 3 large bags to the port a few weeks prior to our cruise, carried another large bag in the Limo & each had a carry-on.. On our last 11 day cruise last year, I placed a note on our clothes list which reads "Next time limit ourselves to One suitcase each & One carry-on each" & hope I can do it..:cool:

Need 2 special things to wear for Christmas Eve & Christmas day & two special things to wear for New Years Eve & New Years day..

Really going to try to cut down, because also have two small Christmas trees (in boxes) & a couple of presents to go with us.. One tree is for our Friends & one is for us..LOL

We are very lucky that we live close to the port and can pack as much as we want. I don't pack 14, but at least 7. I like variety!

Like you we also drive to the port, as live on the West Coast of Fla..Therefore we can carry as much as we want but I'm determined to try to cut back this time..LOL Wish me luck!:p

As much as I would like to say I pack light, I never do! LOL I spent my Airline career flying with only one bag & a small carry-on.. Got tired of scrimping on clothes & shoes & when we started cruising I packed a lot! .. On our 68 day SA/Antarctica cruise DH & I shipped 3 large bags to the port a few weeks prior to our cruise, carried another large bag in the Limo & each had a carry-on.. On our last 11 day cruise last year, I placed a note on our clothes list which reads "Next time limit ourselves to One suitcase each & One carry-on each" & hope I can do it..:cool:

Need 2 special things to wear for Christmas Eve & Christmas day & two special things to wear for New Years Eve & New Years day..

Really going to try to cut down, because also have two small Christmas trees (in boxes) & a couple of presents to go with us.. One tree is for our Friends & one is for us..LOL

Like you we also drive to the port, as live on the West Coast of Fla..Therefore we can carry as much as we want but I'm determined to try to cut back this time..LOL Wish me luck!:p

Haha! I am a retired flight attendant too. I spent my career with one suitcase and a large purse. I even went to Hawaii for a week with just a small over the shoulder bag! Not anymore...I need to revisit my packing skills. ;-)

Are we talking hot or cold climate here?

My las 14 day was a Baltic cruise so I packed ...

A pair of jeans as well as the ones I would already be wearing on the plane

7 t-shirts/light tops

A hoodie

Two bikini

Sarong

Pashmina

7 sets of undies

2 gym kits ( leggings and vest type)

2 sports socks

2 other ankle socks

1 black bra, 1 white bra and 2 bralet thingies

1 pair cropped linen trousers

2 sets of pyjama short sets

Converse already on my feet

Fit flops

Trainers

Fancy shoes - pretty vintage things

1 maxi dress

Jacket

A cardigan

Great list! So, I'm going on a 54 day cruise, March/April. Any suggestions on packing for two months...Might be 6 'formal' nights. Judy