Do you pack a new item to wear each night on a 14 night cruise?

birdie16

Mix and match is the key as well as using the ship laundry. I pack for 3-4 days and have clean clothes available every day. Save your suitcase space/weight for souvenirs.

Keep in mind that you will probably never see any of your fellow passengers again so why worry what others may think of seeing you in the same outfit more than once.

I worry about the ship laundry service. I sent a very nice pair of black slacks to the laundry once asking they be dry cleaned, they came back faded and shrunk. Anyone else have a problem like this?

We pack three day's worth of clothes and additional "Gala" attire. No more than three pairs of shoes (total). HAL's unlimited laundry is a great deal even if you have to buy it.

Issues with the laundry? We've had few troubles over the years and the front desk is always most accommodating when there has been an issue. I think the laundry staff is the most under-appreciated on the ship! Ask for extra laundry bags and separate out items that you want special handling - they will do their best.

I worry about the ship laundry service. I sent a very nice pair of black slacks to the laundry once asking they be dry cleaned, they came back faded and shrunk. Anyone else have a problem like this?

Yes. I lost a sport coat and tuxedo vest to accidental laundry instead of dry cleaning in early 2014. I had to file a claim with Seattle because both items were custom made and the ship's reimbursement limit was $100. Fortunately, DW kept the receipts. HAL made me whole with full reimbursement, which made me happy. Sadly, the fabric for the coat was no longer made, so I had to pick something different.

My wife will generally pack different outfits for each night when we sail out of Fort Lauderdale, but that's because we are close to the port. If we were going to have to fly to the embarkation port, we'd definitely repeat. (I repeat, simply because I don't have as many different clothes. When they were handing out closets, I got the smaller ones.)

Are we talking hot or cold climate here?

My las 14 day was a Baltic cruise so I packed ...

A pair of jeans as well as the ones I would already be wearing on the plane

7 t-shirts/light tops

A hoodie

Two bikini

Sarong

Pashmina

7 sets of undies

2 gym kits ( leggings and vest type)

2 sports socks

2 other ankle socks

1 black bra, 1 white bra and 2 bralet thingies

1 pair cropped linen trousers

2 sets of pyjama short sets

Converse already on my feet

Fit flops

Trainers

Fancy shoes - pretty vintage things

1 maxi dress

Jacket

A cardigan

We have done well so far with drycleaning. The day we don't ;) :eek:

As far as packing - we do a lot of 28-35 day cruises with pre cruise and post cruise stays.

I have no problem to repeat clothes. It's a must and can't be avoided. The time of travelling with trunks of clothes as in the days gone by is gone.

You can mix and match but I always have favourites. They are washed/drycleaned by HAL and I just wear them again. I make no apologies for wearing the same, clean clothes ;)

Never, but multiple pairs of shoes in case one pair falls apart. Not interested in wearing running shoes with a dress.......nor heels with shorts...... nor flats with a dress.......

On a 18 day Panama Canal cruise the lady at the table behind my DH, and thus right in my line of view, had a different outfit every night at dinner. Oh, yes she wore the same shoes a few times and carried the same purse once or twice, but that was it. She always looked outstanding! We saw their luggage upon disembarkation and let's just say, they had a lot!

A 14-day cruise will have three Gala nights, so I pack three outfits for those first. That leaves 11 smart casual nights, so I pack 4 outfits for those, and repeat. I generally will cruise for double that time, so just add another smart casual or two to the packing. Three wearing's, or so, is fine.

I could do with less, but I like to have a few choices without getting bored with my clothes. That, plus the daywear, pretty well fills the suitcase.