EZ Air vs Direct

lakes123

Access to EZ Air opened up today for flights for our cruisetour to Alaska on 6/23/18 (fly into FAI, out of YVR). The EZ Air fare is actually $6 more than booking direct. I consider a $6 difference irrelevant. So, what are the pros and cons of EZ Air vs Direct booking. One advantage of direct I see is seat selection - when looking at the EZ Air fares there was a comment that seat selection was just a request to the airline and could not be guaranteed. I'd like to be assured our family of four is not all split up. Thanks in advance.

Access to EZ Air opened up today for flights for our cruisetour to Alaska on 6/23/18 (fly into FAI, out of YVR). The EZ Air fare is actually $6 more than booking direct. I consider a $6 difference irrelevant. So, what are the pros and cons of EZ Air vs Direct booking. One advantage of direct I see is seat selection - when looking at the EZ Air fares there was a comment that seat selection was just a request to the airline and could not be guaranteed. I'd like to be assured our family of four is not all split up. Thanks in advance.

Here are the advantages.......

https://www.princess.com/plan/ezair/

Here are the advantages.......

https://www.princess.com/plan/ezair/

I see all of the advantages bit at the bottom of that page it says seat assignments are not guaranteed. When can I be assured of seat assignment - when I make final payment, 45 days before departure, some other time?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

With flight dates still far out, flexi rate is often cheaper than fixed rate. This way, you are able to lock in your price and still avail of cheaper rates when it comes before the final payment date.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am no expert as our upcoming Alaska cruise next June is the first time I have booked EZ air. We found the EZ air prices more expensive when they first came out as well. The following week I found better flights on EZ air and less expensive by quite a bit over the airline site. We booked EZ air and have since also found a price reduction. We were able to select our seats and they are showing on the airline website also when I look there at our reservation. Hopefully, there will be no problem. I do intend to keep checking both our booking page on Princess and the airline website to confirm everything stays the same, (or take advantage of more price reductions). :)

Is that $6 for FLEX? If so, it'd be totally worth it. If not, I wouldn't do it. Flex allows you to make changes or cancel any time up to 45 days before departure. Booking directly does not give you that freedom unless you book Alaska Airlines, which will refund your money in the form of airline credit to be used within 1 year if you cancel up to 60 days before departure. For booking this far out, Flex is ideal because you could end up with a nice price drop or 2 or 3, and if you don't, you know you have the lowest fare locked in without having to pay until final payment! Also, if you do happen to see some crazy good deal directly through an airline, just cancel your EZ-Air Flex res.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I see all of the advantages bit at the bottom of that page it says seat assignments are not guaranteed. When can I be assured of seat assignment - when I make final payment, 45 days before departure, some other time?

My experiences have been that seat assignments will vary by airline.

Most non-US airlines charge a coach seat reservation fee prior to check-in. Some passengers have used this form to pay for their EZair flights before final cruise payment because their airline required payment to officially issue their tickets before making seat reservations.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=402964&d=1485971097

I'm flying KLM in the Fall & they did not require early payment to go to their website to pay for a non-refundable seat reservation.

Here's another EZair discussion with lots of useful information:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2529934

Edited by Astro Flyer

Depending on airline.......

With base fares there is no gty of a seat assignment flexible or otherwise.

We have ez air bookings currently, 1 no seats available until 24 hours prior and 1 with no seats until check in.

EZ Air is a "bulk" or group ticket that is much more restricted than booking direct. Not much difference until something happens like a canceled flight.

NO Princess will not guarantee to get you to the next port if you book EZ Air. Read the fine print. They will "assist" etc but no guarantees. In fact, for those boarding in Vancouver who miss the ship, it is difficult if not impossible to board in Ketchikan due to federal laws. Boarding in Ketchikan and disembarking in Whittier or Seward means you didn't visit a foreign port, which is illegal.

I think you answered your question. If you want absolute control over your flights and seats given equal in price then go with direct booking. But Caveat Emptor - if for any reason (flight delays, missed connection, etc) and you can't make the ship or tour in time - it will be your responsibility to make arrangement to get to the next port or city on your own dime. With EZair Princess will assist in those arrangements...but can't necessarily guarantee you will get to the next port/city. So if you do book direct then always factor in a 1-night pre tour/cruise stay and always purchase travel insurance to cover any delays. But if you have to fly in the day the tour/cruise starts and/or don't want to purchase insurance - then go with EZair and just work with the airlines to arrange the best seats when available. It could be sooner or later. Even if for whatever reason can't arrange to all sit together in advance; airlines routinely block off sections of seats for airport check-in.

EZ Air is a "bulk" or group ticket that is much more restricted than booking direct. Not much difference until something happens like a canceled flight.

NO Princess will not guarantee to get you to the next port if you book EZ Air. Read the fine print. They will "assist" etc but no guarantees. In fact, for those boarding in Vancouver who miss the ship, it is difficult if not impossible to board in Ketchikan due to federal laws. Boarding in Ketchikan and disembarking in Whittier or Seward means you didn't visit a foreign port, which is illegal.

Exceptions are made in these circumstances.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

We've used EZAir the last four Princess cruises and always selected our seats when reserved. I have seen the "warning" every time, but have never lost seats or had them changed.

Exceptions are made in these circumstances.

Exceptions might be made in these circumstances. I have read on CC of people not being allowed to board in Ketchikan for example. Can't put my hands on the threads right now unfortunately.

if you do book direct then always factor in a 1-night pre tour/cruise stay and always purchase travel insurance to cover any delays.

Not sure why this advice is only when booking direct. I would strongly give that advise regardless of how the flights are booked.

We've used EZAir the last four Princess cruises and always selected our seats when reserved. I have seen the "warning" every time, but have never lost seats or had them changed.
We book EZair for all the "open jaw" flights (different airports going and coming back), as we typically cannot get comparable fares booking directly with airlines.

In addition EZair essentially gives you some travel insurance for the air portion of your trip, so even if it is a few dollars extra like the OP mentioned it is worth it.

As far as seats are concerned, for United, American, and Jet Blue, we have been able to select our seats on the airline websites using the airline locator number provided on the Princess booking. They have not been changed on us.

Other airlines have other rules, but you can go to their website and try to select seats.

Alaska? more flexibility book EZ air as other stated no seats are guaranteed whenever a flight is booked. Jets change, flight schedules change.......always need to check your reservation every so often.

Also, make sure the direct rate you see is not the new economy booking on some airlines....as a few domestic airlines are making you pay up for an assigned seat.

This year we will be using EZair for our 3rd time in 2 weeks. LANtam, China airlines and BA and only one did not let us assign seats for a connecting flight.

Edited by land lover

Alaska? more flexibility book EZ air as other stated no seats are guaranteed whenever a flight is booked. Jets change, flight schedules change.......always need to check your reservation every so often.

I have flown to Alaska for at least 3 cruises. EZAir was always more expensive than what I found by booking direct. I prefer booking direct vs cruise air any day. Way less hassles in case of issues. Check Cruise Air forum for some horror stories about booking cruise air!