Internet questions

arkstfan

Fine print says one device at a time allowed, so if I need to use my laptop do I need to turn the wifi off on my iPad and my iPhone?

If I forget does one get "knocked off" the wifi while the other is accessing? Phones and tablets are bad about polling the server frequently.

Also the mid-tier, that's all the internet except video and calling apps just slower than the top tier which also excludes those services?

Finally Carnival page mentions blocking Netflix, Hulu but not YouTube, is YouTube available?

Once you log onto a different device you will get a screen which says you are logged into another device, would you like to disconnect.

don't know what polling the server means

Yes, my wifes gets mid tier, and I get top tier for work.

The speed is pathetically slow even the top tier. When I ran "whatsmyspeed.com" I never got above 3 Mb. My Iphone is faster at home. We could FB message, but the video was spotty at best. It's best to use the internet not a peak times, like morning or dinner time.

don't know what polling the server means
Many applications, especially on tablets and phones, run continuously or periodically to keep data on the device up to date, and to notify the user when there are changes.

In this situation, once another device logs in, logging the previous device out, that polling of servers by the first device presumably is denied.

Thanks. I didn't figure the speed would be much since most satellite internet is slow then x 3000 passengers.

Better speed in the morning plays right into my hands. :evilsmile:

I'm an early riser and no one I'm traveling with sees a sunrise unless they stayed up all night, so best time for me to do a bit of work.

Youtube works. I don't know if it is supposed to work on the value plan(or at all). Buffering times will vary depending on the speed and your proximity to an access point.

I was in cabin 1206 on the Triumph, and using the value plan, Youtube worked in the afternoon, evening, and overnight hours on the last sea day. Each video took about 15 seconds to load but played straight through after loading. I probably benefited from so few people being on the lowest passenger deck.

I am new to this site. My family & I are cruising in August and I want to find out all I can about communications on board to keep up with each other. We have the Carnival Hub app. We all have FB messenger. We all have iPhones. I want us to be able to text each other from our phones. Do I need to purchase the WiFi pckage from Carnival? We have Verizon service. Incoming text are .05 each, outgoing are .50 each. Best I understand our phones should be put in Airplane Mode, Roaming OFF. I need more clarification for the best way to do this. I have pre-teens, so they need freedom, but they need to communicate with me, regularly.

We have Verizon service. Incoming text are .05 each, outgoing are .50 each.
That's for on-board communications only. And it is only for the text-only SMS messages. MMS message (TXT messages with pictures, sound or video) cost $0.50 incoming and outgoing.

If you want to communicate in ports, and rely on your Verizon Wireless service, there are additional charges. It would cost us (with our plan) an additional $30 for the trip to bring our plan with us onto the land portion of our cruise to Latin America.

Best I understand our phones should be put in Airplane Mode, Roaming OFF.
That would make the phone reliant on WiFi, so you're back to needing Carnival's WiFi Service.

I need more clarification for the best way to do this. I have pre-teens, so they need freedom, but they need to communicate with me, regularly.
Many people have reported that the Social plan, which includes on-ship messaging only, works for them, but others report that the service is unreliable for them.

We have chosen to get the Value plan so keep in touch through Facebook messenger, which from what I've read seems to be much more reliable for more people than the Social plan approach.

Many people have reported that the Social plan, which includes on-ship messaging only, works for them, but others report that the service is unreliable for them.

We have chosen to get the Value plan so keep in touch through Facebook messenger, which from what I've read seems to be much more reliable for more people than the Social plan approach.

The lowest tier plan (Social Media) is not on-ship messaging only. It will include almost all social media apps (FB, Instagram, etc) and iMessage. This also supports FB Messenger, which we use to communicate back home. It is $5 per account per day.

Probably the least expensive option is to use the HUB app, if you are only concerned about communication while on-board. This is the Carnival app and has messaging capability for $5 per device for the entire cruise. You have to make sure that the app is running all of the time, or messages will be delayed.

Yes, OP, keep your phones in airplane mode!! This will avoid a highly surprising bill from your carrier when you return. :eek::eek:

Thank you all so very much. This information is helpful. I am going to do the Verizon upgrade for the week we are on the ocean AND do the Social plan to assure we can communicate. I will continue to look for more input thru this thread. Again, Thanks to ALL of you.

The lowest tier plan (Social Media) is not on-ship messaging only. It will include almost all social media apps (FB, Instagram, etc) and iMessage. This also supports FB Messenger, which we use to communicate back home. It is $5 per account per day.
I've got my levels mixed up. Use of the HUB app is the lowest tier, what they call the Social plan is one level up from that. Sorry for the confusion.

Probably the least expensive option is to use the HUB app, if you are only concerned about communication while on-board. This is the Carnival app and has messaging capability for $5 per device for the entire cruise. You have to make sure that the app is running all of the time, or messages will be delayed.
That's what I was referring to as the questionably reliable plan.

I am going to try the social plan (book early and its only $4.00 a day per person) as I want to share some photos with my family through FB. Yes I know I can wait until I get home but these are going to be special ones of their Dad's ashes being released into the sea through the ships services.

I've got my levels mixed up. Use of the HUB app is the lowest tier, what they call the Social plan is one level up from that. Sorry for the confusion.

That's what I was referring to as the questionably reliable plan.

We all have those days ;)

Thank you all so very much. This information is helpful. I am going to do the Verizon upgrade for the week we are on the ocean AND do the Social plan to assure we can communicate. I will continue to look for more input thru this thread. Again, Thanks to ALL of you.

Since I do not know what Verizon plan you have some of them INCLUDE Mexico and Canada. So while I'm on the ship I've signed up for Ship Wifi but can use my phone normally in the ports. FYI I have an unlimited Verizon Data/Phone/Text plan.

Since I do not know what Verizon plan you have some of them INCLUDE Mexico and Canada. So while I'm on the ship I've signed up for Ship Wifi but can use my phone normally in the ports. FYI I have an unlimited Verizon Data/Phone/Text plan.

Verizon's Travel Pass allows you to use your plan in other countries like you can at home. 4G data speeds now apply only to the first 512MB/24 hours. Speeds are throttled after that. This new limitation was only implemented after unlimited data plans were reintroduced. Grandfathered unlimited plans aren't eligible for Travel Pass.

I have read one report from a blogger that was throttled each day of his land trip even though he thought he didn't use that much data. One comment on that post brought up a possible way around that limit. That person hasn't reported back yet.

Canada and Mexico are $5/24 hours (used to be $2/24 hours) and other available countries are $10/24 hours. All rates are per phone. You need to add Travel Pass to your account before leaving the US. You aren't charged until you use it.

If you pay for a wifi plan, you can text people that aren't on the ship.

I am going to try the social plan (book early and its only $4.00 a day per person) as I want to share some photos with my family through FB. Yes I know I can wait until I get home but these are going to be special ones of their Dad's ashes being released into the sea through the ships services.

You will not be able to share photos on the social plan, only words, it is not really internet

In theory the social plan would be adequate for onboard communications via Facebook Messenger or direct messages via Twitter. (I don't know what a WhatsApp is but its included)
Whatsapp is an texting app that works in most places messenger/twitter dont! We use it because in the children's hospital nothing else works from inside. And it is much faster sending photos! Edited by Ziggy7

Verizon's Travel Pass allows you to use your plan in other countries like you can at home. 4G data speeds now apply only to the first 512MB/24 hours. Speeds are throttled after that. This new limitation was only implemented after unlimited data plans were reintroduced. Grandfathered unlimited plans aren't eligible for Travel Pass.

I have read one report from a blogger that was throttled each day of his land trip even though he thought he didn't use that much data. One comment on that post brought up a possible way around that limit. That person hasn't reported back yet.

Canada and Mexico are $5/24 hours (used to be $2/24 hours) and other available countries are $10/24 hours. All rates are per phone. You need to add Travel Pass to your account before leaving the US. You aren't charged until you use it.

If you pay for a wifi plan, you can text people that aren't on the ship.

This is screenshot from Verizon when I plug in my travel plans13c28cb8e20962fb995c3822de059b7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I noticed that you asked about youtube. If you know which specific youtube videos you might want to watch, you can pay 10$ to get a month of youtube red and download videos for offline use. This is what I do as far as youtube videos. Just in case youtube does not work. I use the social media package for messenger to talk to people back home and then I will hopefully use the hub app for communication. (It was not on my last cruise, but will be on my upcoming one.) If not, I will still use messenger.