Parasailing

Hi

I am in the minority here since I did not like it and would not do it again.

It was a Royal Caribbean excursion to Parasail in St Thomas a few years ago

There were maybe 5 or 6 of us in the boat.

It was either too windy or not windy enough but we could not go tandem. Everyone had to go up alone.

I enjoyed the initial part where you are gently lifted off the back of the boat and up in the air.

Once I was up and it was peaceful, quiet, and beautiful like everyone says.

Except I couldn’t relax and enjoy it. I kept thinking what if the rope breaks and I crash into the water and am tangled up and drown. Or what if a shark is there and eats me. I know my imagination was going a little wild.

But I was thinking why did I think this was a good idea.

When they started pulling me in I was so happy. I even enjoyed the ride back down to the boat.

So I lived to tell the story but am in no rush to do that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did it years ago from Puerto Villarta. We took off from and landed on the beach. I don't like heights and I loved it. It's amazing. And even though the boat is going quite fast, there is very little wind resistance up there, and you're not that high.

If you have done it, did you wonder "why did I think this is a good idea" while you were up there? It is an RCL excursion in CocoCay. I have no problem zip lining but for some reason am a little nervous about this.

Do they take a whole boatload of people at one time and you take turns or is it one boat to a parasail experience?

Except I couldn’t relax and enjoy it. I kept thinking what if the rope breaks and I crash into the water and am tangled up and drown. Or what if a shark is there and eats me. I know my imagination was going a little wild.

Yes, your imagination was.

My only parasailing has been as part of parachute training. :D

If the rope breaks, you float down, as you have a parachute, that is already open. In my training, most times they just slowed down, and you floated down a little slower. All my landings were to the ground or into the water.

There is a slight chance of the parachute settling over you, but all you have to do is push your hands up to make a space. The fabric is porous and air will get in. And the boat will probably be these by the time you land anyway.

Yes, your imagination was.

My only parasailing has been as part of parachute training. :D

If the rope breaks, you float down, as you have a parachute, that is already open. In my training, most times they just slowed down, and you floated down a little slower. All my landings were to the ground or into the water.

There is a slight chance of the parachute settling over you, but all you have to do is push your hands up to make a space. The fabric is porous and air will get in. And the boat will probably be these by the time you land anyway.

The voice of reason.

Where were you when I was up there thinking it was the end?

If you were there telling me this, I may have been able to relax and enjoy. But maybe not, you know how imagination is...once it goes off on a crazy tangent, sometimes it’s hard to get it back under control.

Thank you for explaining.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So you pay twice as much, but get the same ride?

Not a good deal. They should discount the second person, or increase the time.

On the jet skis, a passenger pays a lower fee.

I will pass.

The reason you don’t get double time is because everyone pays the same price for 10 min. If they doubled the time, you and your partner would then get 20 min while only paying for 10 min. Not fair to the others.

My husband has only one arm. Will he be allowed to parasail?

Not sure about that, but depends on the type of harness. If it's like others I have done I wouldn't think it would be a problem as you sit in a harness rather than hang from one. Therefore having one arm shouldn't be an issue. You can book it and ask at the shore excursion desk once on-board and could always cancel.

Do they REQUIRE that 2 go if weight limit permits? We are an odd number of people and I don't care to go up with a stranger.

In my experience, if there is an odd number of people, someone goes twice. Usually someone with the extra person.

Do they REQUIRE that 2 go if weight limit permits? We are an odd number of people and I don't care to go up with a stranger.

In my experience, if there is an odd number of people, someone goes twice. Usually someone with the extra person.

That would be great! Thanks!