Bringing drinks on-board, but not what you think...

GSOTall1

Hello. Obviously sneaking liquor onto cruises is a common occurrence that is a very polarizing topic.

However, I'm not looking to sneak on booze. What do you think the cruise's policy is on soda syrup like the stuff they use for the DIY soda products?

Reason being, I cant stand coffee but I enjoy redbull. As far as I know, the only way I can get redbull on board is to buy it or get it with liquor which doesnt sound as appealing at 6am when I'm about to start working out. I'm getting the drink package but I remember from my last cruise, the only way to get redbull is at the bar and I don't know where this falls in the drink package. It's not mentioned in the soda package or refreshment package and I get mixed results when searching.

If i show up with a sodastream bottle of "energy" (their non-branded redbull syrup) at the port, will they confiscate it?

Before getting lectured on "you should learn to live without it" or anything like that, I'm not looking for life advice. I know Redbull is bad for you.

That's what I'm thinking but it's a strange case because nobody in their right mind would drink soda syrup so i'd call it an ingredient before i called it a beverage. I wouldn't drink it in front of security to prove it's non-alcoholic unless I had some water to dilute it.

The royal caribbean drink policy says that any drinks, including non-alcoholic will be denied at port. Thing is, wine is allowed as well as water bottles and cans of soda as far as i can tell...so what's the difference between non-alcoholic and soda?

I am going to say it depends on the cruise line itself.

I can personally attest that on Carnival and NCL, I was able to bring my own coffee syrup which comes in those big plastic bottles about the size of a wine bottle. I did carry it on and was fully prepared to be questioned about it, but it wasn't given a second look on either line. YMMV though!

Assuming you are asking about your upcoming cruise on Oasis of the Seas (based on your roll call posts):

While RCI's official policy is no beverages can be carried on board other than a bottle of wine or champagne, common discussion is that for non-alcohol enforcement is minimal outside of spring break cruises. But I have also read that porters at Port Canaveral will not accept cases of soda or water as is done at other ports, so you may be limited to however many cans of Red Bull you can fit in your carry on.

Would a bottle of sodastream syrup be confiscated? I'm pretty sure its contents will be examined even if factory sealed. But even if it gets through my guess is anyone would grow quickly tired of reconstituting their own beverages, especially having purchased a package.

And which drink package are you getting? The Soda package or Refreshment package both have a finite list of which non-alcoholic beverages are included. But the Deluxe Beverage Package sates it "includes any single beverage item with a value up to $12". So should be no problem ordering a Red Bull sans booze at any hour. Though best to ask this question on the Royal Caribbean board to be sure.

A couple of years ago, on either Royal or Celebrity (a sister company) I recall seeing flyers on the tables in the buffet for Red Bull. I don't think you'll have any problem ordering it at any bar, and I think you can just ask for it, not as part of a cocktail.

What about ordering it from the bar (unopened) the evening before and storing it in your cabin?

I know it's not what you asked but this might work and it would be on your drink package

This would likely work on Royal Caribbean.

Hello. Obviously sneaking liquor onto cruises is a common occurrence that is a very polarizing topic.

However, I'm not looking to sneak on booze. What do you think the cruise's policy is on soda syrup like the stuff they use for the DIY soda products?

Reason being, I cant stand coffee but I enjoy redbull. As far as I know, the only way I can get redbull on board is to buy it or get it with liquor which doesnt sound as appealing at 6am when I'm about to start working out. I'm getting the drink package but I remember from my last cruise, the only way to get redbull is at the bar and I don't know where this falls in the drink package. It's not mentioned in the soda package or refreshment package and I get mixed results when searching.

If i show up with a sodastream bottle of "energy" (their non-branded redbull syrup) at the port, will they confiscate it?

Before getting lectured on "you should learn to live without it" or anything like that, I'm not looking for life advice. I know Redbull is bad for you.

I think it would be a good idea to post this on the dedicated cruise line forum.

If you're not bringing soda onboard why not bring 12 red bulls instead?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

Mostly for convenience. One can is about the same size and weight as the syrup bottle but the bottle makes 9 liters. I don't plan on drinking THAT much but it makes packing simpler.

I spoke with RCI this morning and they do not allow syrup, soda, etc. If it's liquid meant for consumption offered on board, it can't be brought onto the ship. They did say you can order redbull at the bar but you cannot order a can, it has to be a glass.

Mostly for convenience. One can is about the same size and weight as the syrup bottle but the bottle makes 9 liters. I don't plan on drinking THAT much but it makes packing simpler.

I spoke with RCI this morning and they do not allow syrup, soda, etc. If it's liquid meant for consumption offered on board, it can't be brought onto the ship. They did say you can order redbull at the bar but you cannot order a can, it has to be a glass.

That's the official policy, but plenty of people take on liquids besides the allowed wine, so I wouldn't say it's the worst idea to give it a try, if you don't mind losing the syrup if they confiscate it. R.e. the redbull, I don't drink it so I can't say for sure, but I would think the majority of bartenders would give you a can of redbull.....