Gluten Free Tips

Millygirl

Hi there, I've been gluten free since being diagnosed with Graves Disease two years ago. My first cruise after diagnosis was on Princess. I noted in online check-in that I was gluten free. My first night in the main dining room I found that along with our regular waiter and bus person, I was assigned a head waiter to personally see to all of my needs. This person was amazing and basically fed me for the entire cruise and I never worried about a thing. Last year I cruised on the Carnival Glory. I called Carnival ahead of time and let them know of my gluten free needs. They made note of it and I was told to contact the maitre d when I boarded to get menus ahead of time and discuss GF options. When I arrived I was told that the maitre d does not handle this. I said great, who does? I was told to 'go up to the Lido deck and look around for a Host' to see if they might be able to help me. I'll cut the story short there but needless to say, NO ONE was able to identify what was and was not GF. I ate cheerios for breakfast, salads with no dressing for lunch, and grilled chicken with a baked potato and GF chocolate melting cake all week. I realize it's no ones responsibility to feed me. That was just a nice Princess perk. But, when you go to a restaurant, the waiters usually have a basic knowledge of what dishes have spices or sauces that contain gluten. Even if they don't, they're willing to at least find out for you. And, God Bless the restaurants that have the menus labeled!

I've done the search here and read so many posts of people getting all of their GF questions answered on board and doing really great. So, my question to any gluten free people out there who have cruised Carnival recently and had a good experience, can you recall any of the specific menu items that you were able to order from the American Table and American Feast menus and anywhere else on the ship? Thank you in advance!

Were you able to speak with the Maitre D' directly and said he does not handle dietary restrictions, contrary to what you were told by Carnival staff beforehand?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nope. I never found a Maitre D. I got tired of asking and hearing they couldn't locate him. We were on that horrible construction cruise in February so I wonder if there even was a Maitre D on board. It was pretty chaotic. There was a Host at the entrance of the dining room but she didn't know what to do for me either. Still, I can't imagine a Maitre D would personally handle all food/allergy concerns for every single passenger. I'm sure I wasn't the only GF person on the ship. There's got to be some protocol for pointing people in the right direction. I just didn't have the right people to ask. I ate and I felt fine so it's nothing tragic. I'm just hoping those that have positive experiences can share their knowledge.

Just adding my 2 cents. Mr son and his celiac girlfriend just cruised RCL. She gave them a glowing report. She said the buffet was impossible because of the cross contamination risk, but the dining room staff went out of their way to help her find suitable choices. Most of the food, she said, was very good.. disappointing to hear carnival dropped the ball on this

WoW! I think they should clearly know what is GF and be able to correctly tell you who would know that information. I would write Carnival and ask for their GF menus on that ship for reference. I'm pretty sure they have someone in the kitchen who handles specialty diets! But "who" can only be answered by Carnival ppl I think!

Nope. I never found a Maitre D. I got tired of asking and hearing they couldn't locate him. We were on that horrible construction cruise in February so I wonder if there even was a Maitre D on board. It was pretty chaotic. There was a Host at the entrance of the dining room but she didn't know what to do for me either. Still, I can't imagine a Maitre D would personally handle all food/allergy concerns for every single passenger. I'm sure I wasn't the only GF person on the ship. There's got to be some protocol for pointing people in the right direction. I just didn't have the right people to ask. I ate and I felt fine so it's nothing tragic. I'm just hoping those that have positive experiences can share their knowledge.
My grandson has peanut allergy. They were on the Horizon and my son discussed his son's dietary needs with the Headwaiter and was always given at dinner by the waiter a menu for the following night. They had no problem like you had. The website was very specific to your needs:

• Carnival can provide our guests with meals suited to the following special dietary needs: vegetarian, low-cholesterol, low-fat, low-carbohydrates, low-sugar, and gluten free. Our chefs will make every effort to fulfill your requests, and will gladly prepare freshly-made options that meet your dietary needs. Once on board, we ask you speak with the headwaiter or dining room host in advance, so they can assist in planning your daily meals in the dining room. This will allow us the necessary time to prepare foods, as requested, in a timely manner.

• Gluten-free pizza dough, pasta, bread for deli sandwiches, and hamburgers buns, as well as cake are available upon request. Plus, our frozen desserts and yogurt are gluten-free. All items are freshly prepared and may take a little longer than regular menu items. Gluten-free beer, Estrella Daura, is available for your enjoyment.

Source: https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/dietary-needs.aspx

I have been on several Carnival cruise and had a wonder gf experience. I am Celiac and my Celiac desease is noted in the Carnival website when booking. However on the first day, when the dining room opens at 1 pm for changes, questions etc. I tell them my status, they pull out menus and I order ..after that the server has a note and gives me the next nights menu to order.

On the other hand, I eat very plainly. Mostly salmon or steak and plain salad..my son who is also gf challenged them and order things to be modied..he was happy and not sick.

BTW I enjoyed the steakhouse too

I have never been sick..so I consider this a success.

I sailed on the Sunshine in July. This was my 7th Carnival cruise, but my first since my Celiac diagnosis. I did quite a bit of research, even looked into the frozen drink mix ingredients to make sure they were safe, and it was 'smooth sailing' every day! My waiter gave me the next night's menu and the chefs would modify a dish when needed. The GF melting cake was, IMHO, better than the regular! Ate almost everything at the Steakhouse with no problems. Got a 'naked burrito' (no tortilla) at Blue Iguana almost every day for lunch. Bunless Guy's burgers... asked bartenders to substitute Tito's in vodka drinks, and they took care of me for the rest of the trip.

It's unfortunate to hear about the OP's experience, but mine was very positive.

I have been on several Carnival cruise and had a wonder gf experience. I am Celiac and my Celiac desease is noted in the Carnival website when booking. However on the first day, when the dining room opens at 1 pm for changes, questions etc. I tell them my status, they pull out menus and I order ..after that the server has a note and gives me the next nights menu to order.

On the other hand, I eat very plainly. Mostly salmon or steak and plain salad..my son who is also gf challenged them and order things to be modied..he was happy and not sick.

BTW I enjoyed the steakhouse too

I have never been sick..so I consider this a success.

Thank you so much for responding! I will again get to the dining room as soon as the Fun Times states it's open for special requests. Your experience seems to follow most others in that a Maitre D was present during that time. Again, I'm wondering if because our ship was in such chaos if they didn't even have one on board for that sailing. It was scheduled for dry dock the following week but they started the work early. The whole crew seemed pretty removed from the whole experience like they just wanted to get off the ship already. That was really the only super negative experience we've had on Carnival though. I eat pretty simply too so if I can just know for certain what's what I'll be fine. Thanks again!

I sailed on the Sunshine in July. This was my 7th Carnival cruise, but my first since my Celiac diagnosis. I did quite a bit of research, even looked into the frozen drink mix ingredients to make sure they were safe, and it was 'smooth sailing' every day! My waiter gave me the next night's menu and the chefs would modify a dish when needed. The GF melting cake was, IMHO, better than the regular! Ate almost everything at the Steakhouse with no problems. Got a 'naked burrito' (no tortilla) at Blue Iguana almost every day for lunch. Bunless Guy's burgers... asked bartenders to substitute Tito's in vodka drinks, and they took care of me for the rest of the trip.

It's unfortunate to hear about the OP's experience, but mine was very positive.

Thank you so much for your specifics! I wondered about Guy's Burgers. A lot of places put breadcrumbs in the burgers so it's good to know that's an option!

I was on the Miracle last January and had a fantastic crew with my Celiac! I LOVE salads so that was my go to for all lunches most dressings are fine, breakfast (when not in MDR) just had eggs and fruit, yogurt, and MDR for dinner, had menu each night for the next day. They were great and not one upset tummy. Steakhouse was delish as well. Not a fan of the gf bread though, but they try, the white one is not bad, more of a biscuit texture. The yellow gf bread is kinda yucky... They have a creme brûlée one night in dining room mmmmmmmm!

Sent from my iPad using Forums