Gluten free cruisers... Giovanni's or Chops?

Leaving in NINE :) days on Grandeur of the Seas with my 6 year old celiac daughter. As part of our Costco package we get a voucher for a specialty restaurant and I'm wondering which would have more gluten free (and cross-contamination free) options for her.

Edited by CruiseMelissa

Leaving in NINE days on Grandeur of the Seas with my 6 year old celiac daughter. As part of our Costco package we get a voucher for a specialty restaurant and I'm wondering which would have more gluten free (and cross-contamination free) options for her.

Call the cruise line

Call the cruise line

While that sounds like a good idea, the special dietary department has been sparse on details. They are great at generic answers about putting notes on accounts and advice on talking to the chef but I'm curious what previous cruisers have experienced.

Hi, I also have Celiac but have not sailed on Grandeur. You can email RCCL for special services and let them know.

I think Giovanni's is better, they had more GF options including GF pasta. If my memory is correct, more than half of the side dishes in Chops are not able to be made GF.

For regular dining make sure to tell your waiter as they will bring GF bread and will let you know which options are GF (even though they are also written on the menu with a little wheat sign). They will bring you the menu for the next night so that she can choose ahead (but honestly I'm not sure how well this works as they didn't always have a record of my meal request).

Just like dining out at home, beware of sauces, salad dressings, even the mashed potatoes.

Bon Voyage!

While that sounds like a good idea, the special dietary department has been sparse on details. They are great at generic answers about putting notes on accounts and advice on talking to the chef but I'm curious what previous cruisers have experienced.

Make sure you notify special_needs@rccl.com of the dietary restrictions.

• 10 months later...
They add "instant" mashed potatoes to the regular potatoes. Seriously.

Yeah, I couldn't figure out why my DD was given a baked potato instead of mashed, but didn't ask them. Someone enlightened me on a another thread, but also said that they made fresh mashed potatoes for her if she wanted them. DD is ok with baked, so it didn't faze her.

My wife has Celiac and we ate at both restaurants on Oasis with no issue. I'd say overall the experience at Giovanni's was better, the waiter was very knowledgeable about what she could and couldn't eat and helped her put together a very tasty gluten free pasta dish.

Didn't realize this was a year old thread, sorry! :)

Edited by Argabarga Jones
Old thread!

You will have better menu choices if you speak with the restaurant one day in advance of your dinner reservation. I had very limited choices the first time I dined in Giovanni's GF, no advance notice and menu planning. The kitchen was busy and offered only limited choices.

If you are considering Chef's Table, they can prepare a gourmet

GF dinner that is indeed worthy of the term "gourmet."