If rerouted due to hurricane. ...

tt_moore

We are taking a Western Caribbean cruise that visits Belize, Honduras, and Cozumel the first week in October. In the event that a hurricane detours us to another Port what ports would or could they possibly be? Want to do a little backup research as far as options since we have a four-year-old up to a sixteen-year-old traveling with us and need great Excursion opportunities to entertain everyone. TIA

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

We are taking a Western Caribbean cruise that visits Belize, Honduras, and Cozumel the first week in October. In the event that a hurricane detours us to another Port what ports would or could they possibly be? Want to do a little backup research as far as options since we have a four-year-old up to a sixteen-year-old traveling with us and need great Excursion opportunities to entertain everyone. TIA

I hate to say it, but it depends. It depends on the track of the storm. Sometimes, they will just do the same ports, but in a different order. I get it, I'm a planner, too. Some things, you just can't have a back-up plan for, though.

We were on the Breeze last week on the same itinerary when tropical storm Franklin was going through. It was hitting Cozumel on Tuesday, the day were were supposed to dock. The captain changed up the itinerary so Tuesday was a sea day and we went south to north (Roatan, Belize and then Cozumel on Friday). All port days were beautiful and we had one cloudy, rocky day on Tuesday but not too bad since he was staying a certain distance away from the storm.

Also, we didn't know anything until the captain announced the changes on Monday.

Hope this helps.

BB

Depending on the track of the storm, if they are unable to just reverse the schedule, they would most likely visit other ports that Carnival frequents in the Carribean such as Jamaica and Grand Caymen or Progresso or Cancun.

All great info, thanks. So Carnival has certain ports that it goes to. So it could be any one of those. But they're not likely to grab some random port that they usually would not go to.....is that correct to assume?

Honestly I don't really care where they go or if it's all sea days but I have two in my family who just finished scuba certification so I want to make sure that least we know what our options would be. Thanks so much!!

Depending on the track of the storm, if they are unable to just reverse the schedule, they would most likely visit other ports that Carnival frequents in the Carribean such as Jamaica and Grand Caymen or Progresso or Cancun.

All great info, thanks. So Carnival has certain ports that it goes to. So it could be any one of those. But they're not likely to grab some random port that they usually would not go to.....is that correct to assume?

While they may change ports, most likely they just reverse the ports to steer around the storm. The vicinity of the ports you have listed are kind of together with maybe the addition of Jamacia, Grand Caymen and Progresso (as stated above). Other ports Carnival goes to are way out east (like Virgin Islands, etc.) and they won't divert to one of those unless they change the whole itinerary.

As others have said, you just can't predict a storms path.

We were on a cruise during the hurricane last October. In our case they just reversed the order of the ports.

They will reverse, rearrange, skip or change ports. No way to tell what will happen until it does. They cannot just pick another port and show up. Ships are scheduled into ports very far in advance. It is possible there will be no alternative ports available and you could end up with a lot of sea days.

Honestly I don't really care where they go or if it's all sea days but I have two in my family who just finished scuba certification so I want to make sure that least we know what our options would be. Thanks so much!!

No random ports to offload 3000 people. The ships draw 30' so they can not go anywhere. Don't worry, every port has scuba diving

A couple of years ago a friend and I were on an October cruise that was supposed to do an eastern itinerary. There was a storm heading for Puerto Rico. Right after the muster drill the captain announced that we would be doing a western itinerary instead, Belize, Roatan and Cozumel instead of San Juan, St Martin, Aruba and Curacao. He also said that anyone that did not want to do the changed itinerary could disembark and get a full refund. Since luggage was still being delivered our departure was delayed several hours while those wishing to disembark waited for their luggage and made their way off the ship. We had a great cruise, perfect weather and a couple of extra sea days, which are my favorite.

The key to happy cruising, whether in hurricane season or not, is to be adaptable. All kinds of things can cause changes.

I totally understand your pain as I am a planner - but speaking as someone who has missed multiple different ports for a variety of reason, or been replaced with a different one, there really is no way to plan. We missed St. marten due to swells and an inability to dock from a tropical storm 400 miles away. The water looked calm and we watched the captain try and try again to dock. We finally left. First report was just going to have a sea day. A day or two later we learned we would go to Grand Turk on the way back. Mad rush to shore excursions desk to see if they had any excursions - and total chaos upon arrival. All the planning in the world would not have helped me because there I had no way to set up a private excursion and through the ship was just nuts and not worth the headache. BUT... We got off, walked the beach and played in the port. Now one of our favorite stops.

My advice is to to worry about all the possible options...because as you can see from above, your could end up at any number of ports, and it would be last minute anyway and impossible to plan. Just board the cruise and enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Last August, there was a Hurricane in the Gulf (the name is slipping me) that slammed Grand Cayman, and our cruise, which was supposed to be Miami-Sea Day-Grand Cayman-Sea Day-Sea Day-Miami, became Miami-Key West-Sea Day-Nassau-CocoCay-Miami. By hitting Key West first, we were able to make our way out of the vicinity and move towards the Bahamas. Something also was stopping us from doing Labadee and Falmouth, I believe at the time the storm was going there too, so the ship stayed closer to Florida, near the Bahamas.

Funny thing about the whole thing is that the calmest water I've had on any cruise were the waters on that cruise! :D Moral of the story, it will be storm-specific, and there is no way to predict it. You will likely find out when you are boarding the ship during embaraktion, so the plus is that you can use the data on your phone to possibly book some or move around some private tours, which is good, so you don't have to buy a wifi package if you don't want to.

Be sure if you booked any scuba trips outside of Carnival that you aren't on the hook for payment if you miss port. I know when our Grand Cayman dive was cancelled, Carnival refunded the excursion to our onboard account. However, that was Carnival's excursion and the dive company was the one that cancelled, due to rough waters.

Last October we had the itinerary reversed due to Hurricane Matthew. We left Galveston on Sunday and weren't told until Monday that our itinerary was being changed. Sometimes they can't or don't make the decision until last minute. Every situation is different so you really can't have a backup plan. Other than to just go with the flow.

Be sure if you booked any scuba trips outside of Carnival that you aren't on the hook for payment if you miss port. I know when our Grand Cayman dive was cancelled, Carnival refunded the excursion to our onboard account. However, that was Carnival's excursion and the dive company was the one that cancelled, due to rough waters.

All reputable shore excursion companies are well aware of sea conditions and if a ship is going to miss a port. They will all refund your money no problem. As a matter of fact the shorexcursioner only takes 10% up front and it is fully refundable. Generally the Harbour Master will close sea based shore excursions.

We missed a port almost 2 years ago in November. We were supposed to go to St. Thomas but got rerouted to Amber Cove, even though it "technically" wasn't fully open. So all those shops there weren't open, and I don't think any of the activities near there were open yet either. They may have had the zip line running though. We just booked a day at a nearby resort to kick back by a pool for awhile. We didn't really want to do much anyway, and had planned on going to Magen's Bay in St. Thomas, so we did this resort pool as it included drinks/food and the beach nearby.

Oh, we were rerouted because of a Tropical Storm, not even a hurricane, and it wasn't that bad. The captain said we would have a little rough seas that night, but it wasn't bad at all. And we knew I think 2 day before our port, so we didn't have a lot of time to decide what to do, but we made it work.

No one here can tell you what the Captain will decide.