Do you have to insure the full cost of a cruise?

Say you book your own travel insurance, and the cruise is $5k.

Can you only insure it for say, $2.5K? Yes if you need a refund of the fare you're only going to get that $2.5k back, but I'd assume you still get all the same medical coverage as if you insured the full rate?

Obviously you can't do this with NCL's insurance, but on sites where you have to enter the amount of your cruise, is this an option anyone has ever utilized?

Can you only insure it for say, $2.5K? Yes if you need a refund of the fare you're only going to get that $2.5k back, but I'd assume you still get all the same medical coverage as if you insured the full rate?

Obviously you can't do this with NCL's insurance, but on sites where you have to enter the amount of your cruise, is this an option anyone has ever utilized?

Yes you can. Our TA did it for us in May. TA always uses a 3rd party insurer. You do not have to include port taxes and fees in your total cost. Also, if you prepaid tips or took either drink or food package that can be excluded as well.

MARAPRINCE

I think the best advice with any insurance is always full disclosure - even if you think it is not relevant. Call the insurance company and ask if thy will cover part of the trip cost. My experience is that the cost increase is marginal - I had to upgrade our annual insurance to cover a expensive trip and it was about £30 more each to move up to the next level of cover.

Probably depends on the fine print but I've always been taught that if you insure only a portion of something and have a partial loss, that partial loss is reduced by the proportion of insurance you took out. So if you insure half of the value of your house and have a fire that costs you half the value of the home, you only get reimbursed for 1/4. But not really sure if travel insurance works differently.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

As a lawyer, I would say "of course you can insure for an amount below the cost!" An insurance policy is really nothing more than a contract, albeit for a specified risk shift allocation.

That said, I would warn you to be very clear what you are asking for and make sure the provider offers such a policy. Paulras is correct, typically insurance companies are insuring a fixed set of costs collectively, not individual cost pools. If you insure for 1/2, many will write a policy to cover 1/2 of your losses. In other words, you are agreeing to pay 1/2 of your loss (as a result, of course the premium is lower).

If you want to insure for half you should be very clear what you want it to cover and at what % you want it covered. You may find that providers will not offer that kind of bespoke policy. They will, however, most likely offer you the option of taking the 100% policy with a higher deductible (which will have the same effect to the premium).

Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some insurance companies will let you do this. Most won't.

Best to check with insurance company as to what their policy is.

You might want to ask that question of insurance broker at insuremytrip.com or at theinsurancestore.com

I normally insure the trip with a very low $ amount to get medical and trip delay/missed connection. Twice we have had to file claims for weather delay and plane mechanical delay. Both claims were paid. We were not concerned about cancellation, mainly medical claims.

I normally insure the trip with a very low $ amount to get medical and trip delay/missed connection. Twice we have had to file claims for weather delay and plane mechanical delay. Both claims were paid. We were not concerned about cancellation, mainly medical claims.

I know from experience you can get a policy to cover just these two items as I had to do it a few years for my mother when we were traveling to Mexico (Medicare would not cover her outside the US). In fact, I only wanted medical, NOT the travel delay coverage as she would be with me and I can cover all that. Unfortunately, the insurer would not write a medical-only policy.

For the third party coverage that our agency sells, you can get a policy that covers a minimal amount (set by the insurance company) but this policy gives you 100% coverage for medical costs and med evac. We call it "minimal coverage" and it covers only $300 of your paid travel costs, but it covers 100% of emergency medical/dental, medical transport, travel delay, baggage loss/damage.

What's important to remember about this is that the biggest difference is that the pre-existing condition waiver that comes with purchasing this policy before final payment IS NOT included with this minimal coverage option. You need to insure the full non-refundable cost of your trip to get that.

But for someone who is not worried about recouping the actual cruise costs, but wants medical and travel delay coverage, this is a great option.

You have to be careful with this. According to Steve at TripInsuranceStore.com (the firm I buy my insurance from), under-insuring your non-refundable portion of your trip can affect things like your medical coverage and the pre-existing conditions waiver. See this page for a discussion of it: https://tripinsurancestore.com/how-travel-insurance-pre-existing-medical-conditions-coverage-works/

I know from experience you can get a policy to cover just these two items as I had to do it a few years for my mother when we were traveling to Mexico (Medicare would not cover her outside the US). In fact, I only wanted medical, NOT the travel delay coverage as she would be with me and I can cover all that. Unfortunately, the insurer would not write a medical-only policy.

You can actually get a medical only policy. I think they are mostly offered by specialty companies. I've used geoblue. Was able to get 2 weeks of their highest level coverage (was going very far off grid) for $30.

I received an email from NCL for my upcoming cruise. They offered me something called essentials travel protection plan. Cost is $25/per person for a 14 night very expensive cruise. I already have a total plan with an outside insurance company so didn't look into it but the email says it's underwritten by transamerica and covers medical, enroute (travel delay) and baggage protection. Letter stated it was something new NCL was offering. Signed by Vivian Ewart /Vice President of passenger services. title of email was, "important information about your upcoming cruise."

Add: re the outside plan I purchased through travel guard: I asked and was told that i must insure all costs that are non refundable the day I leave for vacation. The dsc, port fees and certain other costs of the cruise are refunded if you don't get on the ship. Those can add up and bump cost of policy. I read all the fine print in the travel guard gold policy and it's cumbersome at best to understand all the fine print. I've read accounts of people just insuring the entire trip. I think it gets murkier if you got on the ship and then had to leave vacation early. It's going to be a big enough pain at that point to deal with any refunds and so perhaps best just to be dealing with one company.

Biggest fear is claim denial should something go horribly wrong like medical or something big ticket and I wasn't insured properly. They don't make it easy to figure out.

Edited by littlelulu01

I received an email from NCL for my upcoming cruise. They offered me something called essentials travel protection plan. Cost is $25/per person for a 14 night very expensive cruise. I already have a total plan with an outside insurance company so didn't look into it but the email says it's underwritten by transamerica and covers medical, enroute (travel delay) and baggage protection. Letter stated it was something new NCL was offering. Signed by Vivian Ewart /Vice President of passenger services. title of email was, "important information about your upcoming cruise."

Add: re the outside plan I purchased through travel guard: I asked and was told that i must insure all costs that are non refundable the day I leave for vacation. The dsc, port fees and certain other costs of the cruise are refunded if you don't get on the ship. Those can add up and bump cost of policy. I read all the fine print in the travel guard gold policy and it's cumbersome at best to understand all the fine print. I've read accounts of people just insuring the entire trip. I think it gets murkier if you got on the ship and then had to leave vacation early. It's going to be a big enough pain at that point to deal with any refunds and so perhaps best just to be dealing with one company.

Biggest fear is claim denial should something go horribly wrong like medical or something big ticket and I wasn't insured properly. They don't make it easy to figure out.

That's a very surprising price....are you sure it's not 25 per day? If this is for real, do you have a link? For 25 I'll be buying it as well!!

Edited by nansi
adding a link: https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/booksafe

That's a very surprising price....are you sure it's not 25 per day? If this is for real, do you have a link? For 25 I'll be buying it as well!!

Medical and baggage insurance isn't super expensive. And I'm assuming the coverage isn't great. I was able to get 2 weeks of million dollar medical/$0 deductible for $30. And I'm sure 'essentials' isn't that; but the price sounds plausible. Most of your trip insurance cost is for cancellation coverage.

It says $25 pp total, not per day and it's for a 14 night in a suite so an expensive cruise. I think the trip insurance I purchased through travel guard was over $600. I'm attaching a portion of email not sure if it will post:

f you have any questions or would like more information about Essentials Travel Protection Plan, please contact your personal travel consultant at 1-866-234-7350.

We are looking forward to welcoming you onboard.

Sincerely,

Vivian Ewart

Vice President, Passenger Servicesimagegif

Medical and baggage insurance isn't super expensive. And I'm assuming the coverage isn't great. I was able to get 2 weeks of million dollar medical/$0 deductible for $30. And I'm sure 'essentials' isn't that; but the price sounds plausible. Most of your trip insurance cost is for cancellation coverage.

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/booksafe

Depends on your age and the price of the trip.