Tandoor assistance Magic or other similar ships

Kermit426

This is so critical. Also, if you don't know any Indians, you can check to see if Indian families eat there. If so, then it probably has good food. However, that begs the question: Is Tandoor good because it is a rarity or because its food stacks up against the "good" Indian food nchikk referred to?

The food at the Tandoor and in the MDR (Indian Vegetarian Dinner) is very good and offers authentic flavours. The majority of the chefs onboard are Indian. However it may sound, I do not claim to be an expert on the subject of Indian cuisine, but I have been eating it for more then 50 years. And I'm Indian.

The food at the Tandoor and in the MDR (Indian Vegetarian Dinner) is very good and offers authentic flavours. The majority of the chefs onboard are Indian. However it may sound, I do not claim to be an expert on the subject of Indian cuisine, but I have been eating it for more then 50 years. And I'm Indian.
Super! I've read good things about it, but I also read good things about the "Mexican" food served at Blue Iguana Cafe. :) For someone who enjoys the authentic flavors, it is a disappointment to encounter dishes that have been too heavily Americanized, whether they be Indian, Mexican or Italian. (I'm much more of the opposite perspective with regard to Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese and Thai food: I'll stick with the Americanized versions. :))

The chutneys (chutnies?) are my favorites with Indian food, and they have a nice selection at the Tandoor. The only reason I go to the MDR is for the Indian Vegetarian off the daily menu, and the portions are huge. Where I live, there is no Indian food. While visiting England last spring I went wild, and ate "a good curry" almost once a day for two weeks. The Indian food on Carnival easily matches good Indian food found in a restaurant.

Before you eat it on a ship, maybe try it at home. Is there an Indian restaurant near you? Most likely, if there is one (or more), they'll have a lunch buffet. Go. Try the lunch buffet. You can try several different items (for less than the price of one entrée) and see what suits your tastes. If, by chance, you know any Indians, ask them what restaurants they prefer. Yes, there are good and bad Indian restaurants, and we would be honoured to point you in the right direction.

I respectfully disagree.

Why pay for food at a restaurant that someone might or might not like when he/she can try Tandoor for free? All one has to do is take little bits of everything and go back for what is delicious.

Before you eat it on a ship, maybe try it at home. Is there an Indian restaurant near you? Most likely, if there is one (or more), they'll have a lunch buffet. Go. Try the lunch buffet. You can try several different items (for less than the price of one entrée) and see what suits your tastes. If, by chance, you know any Indians, ask them what restaurants they prefer. Yes, there are good and bad Indian restaurants, and we would be honoured to point you in the right direction.

Don't spend money at a restaurant, just try a small amount of what is offered! The selection varies daily. You can also get the veggie Indian plate at dinner. I think the Liberty had the Tandoori station too.

DH is from India and he's always at Tandoor Grill for lunch. We're on Dream 9/17 and you'll find us there every day when they open. The kabobs they make are very tasty and not overly spicy. Years ago I learned to eat Indian food by mixing yogurt into anumythibg that had a sauce until my taste buds got used to the spices. Food is different throughout India and there are some things even he doesn't like because it's so different from what he grew up eating. Drink water, tea, coffee or beer with Indian food since sodas can make the hot taste hotter. There are usually different dishes to try each day. Try a little and see if you like it.

Cherie

DH is from India and he's always at Tandoor Grill for lunch. We're on Dream 9/17 and you'll find us there every day when they open. The kabobs they make are very tasty and not overly spicy. Years ago I learned to eat Indian food by mixing yogurt into anumythibg that had a sauce until my taste buds got used to the spices. Food is different throughout India and there are some things even he doesn't like because it's so different from what he grew up eating. Drink water, tea, coffee or beer with Indian food since sodas can make the hot taste hotter. There are usually different dishes to try each day. Try a little and see if you like it.

Cherie

Can you tell me if Indian food is generally made with a lot of dairy, like butter or milk? I do see about the yogurt sauces... but how about other things like rice and kabobs will I run into dairy trying those things?

Sauces could have butter, cream, yogurt, etc but not sure about kabobs. Many times kabobs are marinated in a spicy yogurt sauce before being grilled. The cooks there would be more than happy to tell you what marinade they use. Rice is usually steamed and seasoned or steamed and stir fried. My husband is lactose intolerant but doesn't seem to have issues with yogurt since whey is usually drained out in the process of making yogurt. If you are a true allergy and not just lactose intolerance I would definitely get there shortly before they open so you can ask those questions. There is also a main chef that is over all of the restaurants who would be the best person to ask about ingredients. We have had the pleasure to talk to him on several cruises about the Indian food they serve on the Dream. I believe if you ask guest services they can help you get a time to see him about your questions.

Cherie

Ok, I'll admit it...I've always been to much of a wimp to try Indian food. However after all the posts I have read about people loving Tandoor, I think I have may been missing out on something great. Looking for suggestions and descriptions of some of your favorite items you have had at Tandoor. What did you love, and what would you suggest for someone to try for the first time?

If you are not use to it BEWARE you may need some pepto.

Sauces could have butter, cream, yogurt, etc but not sure about kabobs. Many times kabobs are marinated in a spicy yogurt sauce before being grilled. The cooks there would be more than happy to tell you what marinade they use. Rice is usually steamed and seasoned or steamed and stir fried. My husband is lactose intolerant but doesn't seem to have issues with yogurt since whey is usually drained out in the process of making yogurt. If you are a true allergy and not just lactose intolerance I would definitely get there shortly before they open so you can ask those questions. There is also a main chef that is over all of the restaurants who would be the best person to ask about ingredients. We have had the pleasure to talk to him on several cruises about the Indian food they serve on the Dream. I believe if you ask guest services they can help you get a time to see him about your questions.

Cherie

Thank you! Starting researching new food now.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Forums mobile app

I LOVE the Tandoori Grill!!!1

Matter of fact I love it so much I pick my cruises based on whether the ship has it or not.

When I booked the Vista I just KNEW being a new ship she would have tandoori (original layouts showed it I believe) Was disappointed to find out they scrapped the Tandoori.

Wish they would have it open for lido dinner.

There is an Indian vegetarian dish on the MDR menu every night, fwir. Isn't that also available on the buffet for dinner?

No :(

At times it's on the lunch buffet rotation on the longer cruises. Always look forward to that on ships without the Tandoor.

Just looked at the new breakfast menu.

There is a lentil and rice crepe filled with potatoes, peas and kale. Sounds kind of Indian inspired. Almost a Dosa Masala.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums