Galveston weather concerns

Latest chapter:

Well, after a couple of calls to RCI which were of no help whatsoever, we headed to the airport. About half way there I got an alert saying that the second leg of our flight into HOU was cancelled. We are back home and I am on hold with the airline trying to get the first leg cancelled and possibly rescheduled. If RCI would just say that they are going to offer some compensation if we cannot get there it would be a lot less stressful. I asked the RCI "Resolutions agent" what happens if I fly into the hurricane zone and the ship cannot dock. Any compensation? Cannot answer. What happens if my flight gets cancelled and the ship does dock? Will I lose my money? Can't answer. Are you going to do anything for people who are having problems but trying to make the cruise that is allegedly on schedule? No answer. So you are saying that I need to fly into a hurricane area or risk losing my cruise? Basically yes. But you put the safety of guests first? Absolutely. So telling them that their cruise is on schedule and they need to go into the vicinity of a hurricane and related storm activity is looking out for their safety? No answer to that question.

I guess I don't understand the argument that the cruise line owes you something if your flight is cancelled and the cruise ship is able to dock, or or that the cruise line owes you something if you choose to fly into a hurricane situation and the ship isn't able to dock. Neither the cruise line or the airline has any control over the other's decisions. To expect either of these independent companies to reimburse you for a decision made by the other is unreasonable. That's why you purchase travel insurance to cover these types of unexpected situations.

Let me save a few people some typing:

We sailed during hurricane season which is completely insane which makes it all our fault.

We did not buy the cruise specific insurance and depended on trip insurance that we did not completely research which makes it all our fault.

We have to expect this sort of thing and RCI is doing things perfectly according to "standard practice" so we have no basis for complaint.

I hope that covers it but probably not.

I know you already know this, but ignore the people who want to blame you, tell you that it's your fault for not buying insurance, or just rub salt in the wound in general, etc. It's not their anniversary vacation that they've saved and planned for! There are no guarantees for any cruise, and it's fine to understand that you have to roll with the weather, but it's the way that RCI is handling this that's not ok in my book. And this is coming from someone who is an RCI advocate!

I guess I don't understand the argument that the cruise line owes you something if your flight is cancelled and the cruise ship is able to dock, or or that the cruise line owes you something if you choose to fly into a hurricane situation and the ship isn't able to dock. Neither the cruise line or the airline has any control over the other's decisions. To expect either of these independent companies to reimburse you for a decision made by the other is unreasonable. That's why you purchase travel insurance to cover these types of unexpected situations.

They may not "owe" him anything but why not do the right thing and at least let him reschedule free of charge now and relieve all the anxiety? It's ridiculous that something like that hasn't been offered to these people less than 24 hours before they're supposed to board the ship.

Does everyone really think that all the people that work at the port, will be able to get to the port, and resupply the ship if the ship can even get into port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Indeed! We have a saying in my part of Florida: If you think the hurricane was bad, wait til you see the aftermath. The aftermath, for anyone who hasn't been through it and wonders what it's like, it's bad. Hot, humid, no power, no gasoline (can't pump without power), no functioning traffic lights, debris everywhere, stores closed, roads closed, etc. etc. Now Galveston may not have had hurricane force winds (I haven't seen that info), but even tropical storm force winds have brought about many of these conditions (particularly debris in the roads closing roads). Add to that the predicted rains and flooding, and I just don't know what on earth RCI is thinking.

If you are referring to EBFURR, they have indicated that they did not purchase insurance.

I was referring to the coverage provided by their credit card which they indicated they do have, but aren't sure how it works.

ITINERARY UPDATES

August 26, 2017

Liberty of the Seas is keeping a safe distance behind the storm and is currently making her way back to Galveston. Our intention is to keep with our original schedule return to Galveston on Sunday. However, because of the path and progression of Hurricane Harvey, the situation remains uncertain and the Port of Galveston remains closed. We ask that guests scheduled to sail on Liberty of the Seas tomorrow not proceed to the port until we let you know it is okay to do so.

We will provide you with another update on August 26 at 9 p.m. CT.

Latest Track

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/152744.shtml?cone#contents

Sounds familiar. :cool:

Indeed! We have a saying in my part of Florida: If you think the hurricane was bad, wait til you see the aftermath. The aftermath, for anyone who hasn't been through it and wonders what it's like, it's bad. Hot, humid, no power, no gasoline (can't pump without power), no functioning traffic lights, debris everywhere, stores closed, roads closed, etc. etc. Now Galveston may not have had hurricane force winds (I haven't seen that info), but even tropical storm force winds have brought about many of these conditions (particularly debris in the roads closing roads). Add to that the predicted rains and flooding, and I just don't know what on earth RCI is thinking.

This webcam doesn't seem to show any of what you said:

http://www.galveston.com/murdochsvideocam/

Geez, I guess Galveston Cruiser (who lives there) is right........:confused:

I think most of us agree that the issue is RC not allowing EBFURR to rebook onto another sailing that is going to have an empty cabin they can take tomorrow.

Carnival is offering refunds rather than telling people that they have to fly into a dangerous situation or lose all their money and they have three ships out there, RC only has one!

I guess I don't understand the argument that the cruise line owes you something if your flight is cancelled and the cruise ship is able to dock, or or that the cruise line owes you something if you choose to fly into a hurricane situation and the ship isn't able to dock. Neither the cruise line or the airline has any control over the other's decisions. To expect either of these independent companies to reimburse you for a decision made by the other is unreasonable.

It's correct that a cruise line doesn't have control over an airline flight, or vice versa, but this is a hurricane situation that affects BOTH the cruise and the flight, and RCI is basically telling it's passengers that they MUST fly into a hurricane area, or lose out on their cruise. You don't think that's just a tad irresponsible? Carnival is letting passengers cancel or re-book, which seems reasonable in this situation. This isn't like there's a snowstorm in New York and a few guests can't get a flight out to Houston, this is Royal Caribbean telling 3,000+ passengers to fly/travel into a designated "state of disaster" area, or lose all of their money. That's ridiculous. It's reasonable to ask that RCI at least give passengers the option of rescheduling.

They may not "owe" him anything but why not do the right thing and at least let him reschedule free of charge now and relieve all the anxiety? It's ridiculous that something like that hasn't been offered to these people less than 24 hours before they're supposed to board the ship.

No argument there, RCI should have made a decision by now regarding options for passengers in the event they are unable to stick to the Sunday schedule. My response was because the poster seemed to feel they were owed something by the cruise line based on flight issues.

ITINERARY UPDATES

August 26, 2017

Liberty of the Seas is keeping a safe distance behind the storm and is currently making her way back to Galveston. Our intention is to keep with our original schedule return to Galveston on Sunday. However, because of the path and progression of Hurricane Harvey, the situation remains uncertain and the Port of Galveston remains closed. We ask that guests scheduled to sail on Liberty of the Seas tomorrow not proceed to the port until we let you know it is okay to do so.

Well, it's about time! So, does this mean they're finally letting guests reschedule??

Yes, the cruise line does not owe him anything. But they can easily show good customer service and be sympathetic to the situation. RCL is not showing any sympathy at all right now. As I said earlier, as soon as Carnival gave their customers yesterday the option to cancel for future cruise credit. RCL should've done the same thing. People pay attention to these gestures and will remember these when booking in the future. It also make good business sense for RCL to give their customers this option under the current circumstances. I guarantee you he is one of at least a few hundred customers in the same delimma right now. Royal Caribbean needs to step up to the plate.

Well, it's about time! So, does this mean they're finally letting guests reschedule??

Perhaps at 10 pm est 9 cst they can request a refund or credit but as of now they wish to keep people in a stressful, dangerous situation on the ropes for a few more hrs....

I think the overwhelming consensus is that RC is not handling the situation with safety in mind or properly.

Perhaps at 10 pm est 9 cst they can request a refund or credit but as of now they wish to keep people in a stressful, dangerous situation on the ropes for a few more hrs....

I think the overwhelming consensus is that RC is not handling the situation with safety in mind or properly.

What a joke and hardly factual. Every action to date has been based on passenger safety.

Since the general consensus seems to be that the ship won't dock on time tomorrow, you could always drive in. We drove back to Houston from Orlando last month in one day, not fun but we made it in 16 hours. Maybe look at what a one way rental will cost so that you can still fly back next week.

Remember that several posters on this thread don't think that the weather or the situation here is that bad...

What a joke and hardly factual. Every action to date has been based on passenger safety.

I think the key word is passenger safety..no disagreeing there but EB is not a passenger who they are asking to go into a natural disaster so you can cruise with us, which he is willing to do but only because they won't provide him with credit or the option to go out at another port.

I think the key word is passenger safety..no disagreeing there but EB is not a passenger who they are asking to go into a natural disaster so you can cruise with us, which he is willing to do but only because they won't provide him with credit or the option to go out at another port.

Actually....as stated in the previous post...they are saying "stay away until further notice".

In reality, they're leaning towards safety above all...which of course puts them in a no-win scenario.

Looks terrible :). All those cars driving casually down the street and the folks walking around d on the beach.

But if you look at the Strand you can see standing water which extends down to the terminals and open air parking:

http://www.galveston.com/strandvideocam/

Probably not too bad - until it rains some more:(

Edited by pspercy

Actually....as stated in the previous post...they are saying "stay away until further notice".

In reality, they're leaning towards safety above all...which of course puts them in a no-win scenario.

They have said to not come to the port which is closed anyway!