Galveston weather concerns

The principal reason (but not the only one) is to avoid hurricane season and the sweltering Caribbean during that time period.

Where they are repositioned is determined for business / economic reasons. The two get blurred together by some folks.

So, if the weather was not bad in the Caribbean during the summer, RCI would not move their ships to Alaska and Europe where they could make more money?:confused:

Biker, who doesn't have enough popcorn for this thread.

Both airports are completely shut down?

So, the cruise line knows that a ton of its passengers can't arrive a day early into a major disaster area and is still not willing to work with them at this point?

That information is readily available on the airline websites.

Your second question...the answer has not yet been factually determined...it's pending.

I want to know if someone cancels right now are they being guaranteed future cruise credits.

Yes or no? Because ANYTHING less is may result in thousands of people entering a FEDERAL DISASTER area.

Now tell me, pretty please with sugar on top, what about THAT statement is incorrect?

Perhaps asking the cruise line your question(s) would be the right thing to do.

So, if the weather was not bad in the Caribbean during the summer, RCI would not move their ships to Alaska and Europe where they could make more money?:confused:

Not exactly (in the Avis commercial voice...).

They would reposition ships differently, but still move some regardless. Alaska and Europe also have limited seasons for viable cruising.

EZ Cruise parking lots are high and dry. :)

Quick question for anyone familiar with Galveston:

For future reference; I know that there are several paid parking lots to choose from near the port, including the Port of Galveston lots, the EZ Cruise lot, and I think one called Cruise Park. Of the options, which one might be the least likely to get flooded? (In other words, which is on highest ground, if there is such a thing as "high ground".) I know there's also the option of the parking garage, I'm just wondering about the surface lots. I wasn't sure if EZ Cruise is the highest, based on Ladysilver's post, because it seems like they're all in the same general area. Thanks!

Thanks to all of you who expressed concern and understanding. I did stay on the boards because I was also watching the weather radar and there was some good info posted here at times that helped. The lowing off steam helped a little with the stress as well. I have wound up cancelling flights and hotel for tonight - I will get a refund even though it was past cancellation deadline - thanks Hilton. Southwest customer service has been outstanding trying to get us to HOU. RCI has been terrible, which I know makes some heads spin but that is the way it is. I have no idea what tomorrow brings but I am done for today.

Bring in the Royal cheer-leading squad. You guys look cute in those skirts.;p I jest. Free speech for all, even if I disagree.

Thanks to all of you who expressed concern and understanding. I did stay on the boards because I was also watching the weather radar and there was some good info posted here at times that helped. The lowing off steam helped a little with the stress as well. I have wound up cancelling flights and hotel for tonight - I will get a refund even though it was past cancellation deadline - thanks Hilton. Southwest customer service has been outstanding trying to get us to HOU. RCI has been terrible, which I know makes some heads spin but that is the way it is. I have no idea what tomorrow brings but I am done for today.

Bring in the Royal cheer-leading squad. You guys look cute in those skirts.;p I jest. Free speech for all, even if I disagree.

No worries...glad you are being made "whole" through your diligent work. Perhaps this "episode" gets finalized for you tomorrow.

Wishing you (and anyone else affected) well. It's the blame birds that need harvesting.

Agina (for the 3rd time now)...that's why airlines have been cancelling flights to the area as well already...unless one drives (and those folks on the ground are the best informed)...you can't get there by air anyway...and the port is in line with that reality.

That information is readily available on the airline websites.

Of course it is but you said:

you can't get there by air anyway

So I figured you knew for a fact that I wouldn't be making my way to Houston/Galveston, a major disaster area, from out-of-state.

My new concern is getting trapped on Galveston island should we actually make it in to port. The official city site says a great deal of roads are impassable and are expected to worsen with additional rain. How are we supposed to disembark if we can't pick up our parked cars and/or reach Houston?

I hope they come to their senses and announce with the 7:00PM update we're diverting to New Orleans.

How are you going to pickup your parked car from New Orleans?

Watch the radar. So far things look good. I like the MyRadar app.

Alaska and Europe also have limited seasons for viable cruising.

The West Coast of the USA has viable cruising weather just about all year long yet there's not a single ship there (except a few Explorer coastals) - why is that?:confused:

Flew into Houston just fine this morning and sitting in our airbnb in Galveston right now. Some roads were flooded coming in once we got on the island, but Broadway was pretty much clear and the area we are is totally fine (up by the med school).

Weather is quite nice at the moment - sun is actually peeking through some clouds. If this dry pocket holds I'm pretty optimistic that the schedule may hold.

If another 10 inches of rain drops, though, I can't see anyone making it to/from the port. For now I think everyone is holding and waiting to see if the rain winds up coming in force again.

Coast Guard just gave a news conference - he says they are meeting twice a day with cruise officials and city officials to try and identify a window when they can get them in. He also said he believes that RC has plans in place to dock elsewhere in case they cannot get in to port. It was just live on Fox 26 if you want to try and find it.

offered as a data point and nothing more

looked at MarineTraffic a few minutes ago and saw the Galveston/Bolivar ferry was underway ....

This may indicate the port survey, required by USCG Captain of the Port before reopening the port, is underway .....

Until COTP can assess port conditions with respect to aids to navigation and channel depths (can change due to storm water moving bottom) the port stays closed ..... don't matter what the roads look like to us!!!!

*** consistent with what I see in the immediately preceding posts ... which happened as I was typing . / . /

If you can sea the live radar right now. Honestly now would be the window the Liberty could dock, too bad they're still ways away. Plus port is closed anyways. The radar future on KPRC shows more rains coming to Galveston tonight. Right now was the break period.

I feel terrible for you guys. You know maybe you should just wait, take the full refund which I'm pretty sure will be offered and forget about it. Make a reservation in one of those great hotels in uptown Charlotte and make a reservation at Morton's Steak House and have a great bottle wine and celebrate your anniversary, just the two of you..don't invite Harvey!! LOL:')

PS have your husband buy you a nice little piece of jewelry at Perry's Emporium!!!

The West Coast of the USA has viable cruising weather just about all year long yet there's not a single ship there (except a few Explorer coastals) - why is that?:confused:

The West Coast has such stringent EPA regulations regarding ships so it is not worth while to sail from there.

Itinerary Updates

s.gif

s.gif

Itinerary Updates

August 26, 2017

Liberty of the Seas is keeping a safe distance behind the storm and is currently making her way back to Galveston. Our intention is to keep with our original schedule return to Galveston on Sunday. However, because of the path and progression of Hurricane Harvey, the situation remains uncertain and the Port of Galveston remains closed. We ask that guests scheduled to sail on Liberty of the Seas tomorrow not proceed to the port until we let you know it is okay to do so.

We will provide you with another update on August 26 at 9 p.m. CT.

s.gif

The West Coast has such stringent EPA regulations regarding ships so it is not worth while to sail from there.

So, then why do they bother with any Explorer Coastals?

How about Australia? It has viable sailing weather all year round. Why not post one or more ships there year round like Florida?

I would agree with this post if all things were equal.....meaning both cruise lines had ships coming in at the same time. But they didn't. Carnival had 2 other ships scheduled to port in Galveston days before RCI's ship was scheduled. This meant Carnival had to make a quicker decision. Comparing CCL's to RCI's reactions to this dilemma really is an apples to oranges comparison.

If this logic actually applied, Carnival would have offered the option to cancel with refund ON THE 2 CRUISES LEAVING ON SATURDAY ONLY. They didn't. They offered it on all 3 cruises! They could have waited to offer the same plan to Breeze cruisers- they didn't. Why can't RCCL offer the same to LOTS cruisers? Just take the pressure off people like EBFURR? You can't get into Galveston so we're giving you the option to cancel and reschedule without penalty... allow anyone local or already in place near Galveston sail whenever the cruise ship makes it into port?

It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth... I was considering RCCL for my next cruise (I like Carnival but not married to 'em) but now I'm not sure...

Limited itineraries that pass the distant port rule. It got more difficult after several ports in Mexico experienced high upticks in violent crime and ships cancelled port calls there. While some cruise to enjoy the ship, others use it as a floating hotel to experience the ports. Many people don't care to take cruises that visit their own backyard.

If you're basing that on a couple of posts making the (wrong) claim that they encouraged going to the port...you have been misinformed. A few other folks pointed out the error.

The exact opposite has been the case - a focus on safety. The ship was steered away from the hurricane, and those on the next cruise have been told to stay away for now. If you read back several posts....you'll see that Royal Caribbean actually told people NOT TO GO TO the Galveston port until further notice - the responsible thing to do.

Unfortunately this is exactly why reading posts with mis-information results in confused or misinformed consumers.

Yes- they (finally) told their cruisers to stay away from the port. Today. But they STILL haven't told them what they plan to do if the cruiser doesn't have enough time to make it to the port by the time LOTS is ready to sail!!! That is unfair!

Limited itineraries that pass the distant port rule. It got more difficult after several ports in Mexico experienced high upticks in violent crime and ships cancelled port calls there. While some cruise to enjoy the ship, others use it as a floating hotel to experience the ports. Many people don't care to take cruises that visit their own backyard.

Sorry if it was not obvious - my point in this whole thread is that weather is NOT the main reason RCI moves its ships around - money is.