Galveston weather concerns

I think Carnival Valor and Freedom just announced they will let the next cruise go on but will be shortened. They will prorate the cruise fare. Meanwhile passengers can choose to cancel themselves and receive a future cruise credit. I'm sure RCL will probably do something similar.

The Port stated at the Mayor's newscast they are closed until Tuesday. Working with Pilots when ships can be brought in. Stay in touch with your cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you saying they may be bringing the ships into a closed port if it stays closed until Tuesday?

Edited by Coopdog08
Mistake

The Port stated at the Mayor's newscast they are closed until Tuesday. Working with Pilots when ships can be brought in. Stay in touch with your cruise line.

According to our Captain the Sunday "window of opportunity" was identified by the port in conjunction with RCI Miami. A lot can change between now and Sunday but I don't think he/they would outright make that up.

RCI has one ship to worry about while CCL has three necessitating different strategies.

Some of my greatest adventures in life have been when things haven't gone as planned. Cheers to the optimists on this thread, and best wishes to those on board and those trying to get on board.

Until your flight is cancelled, I would proceed as if it isn't. Until your cruise is cancelled, I would proceed as if it isn't. These storms and their resulting impacts can be highly erratic and wildly unpredictable. Here's hoping for sunshine and calm seas on Sunday (which is entirely within the realm of possibilities).

Well, that is our strategy. Our early Saturday flight was cancelled but they moved us to a later flight at no charge and said that if the cruise is cancelled or moved we can get a full refund. Love Southwest! Phone calls to RCI say that the cruise is still scheduled, so if we do not go with that and stay home we lose it all if they manage to make it. Carnival has told their passengers not to go to Galveston unless they hear differently and offered refunds/credits (according to a post with an image of of the announcement). The only option we have is to go with what RCI tells us which as of 30 minutes ago was that our cruise will sail.

To all you experts and "concerned" citizens who are not cruising this weekend nor live in the area: You have nothing at stake here and your opinions and advice mean nothing to me, nor am I a "fool".

updated 1 hour 11 minutes ago

HURRICANE HARVEY IMPACTS FLIGHTS AT THE HOUSTON AIRPORTS

Over the next few days, severe weather caused by Hurricane Harvey may impact flights at IAH and HOU. The Houston Airports advises passengers to stay in touch with their air carriers for the most accurate information regarding specific flight status.

UPDATED 8/25/2017 at Noon

Flights at the Houston airports are being affected by Hurricane Harvey. The reported affected flights are as follows:

IAH - 47 Cancellations, 46 Delays

HOU - 54 Cancellations, 40 Delays

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, that is our strategy. Our early Saturday flight was cancelled but they moved us to a later flight at no charge and said that if the cruise is cancelled or moved we can get a full refund. Love Southwest! Phone calls to RCI say that the cruise is still scheduled, so if we do not go with that and stay home we lose it all if they manage to make it. Carnival has told their passengers not to go to Galveston unless they hear differently and offered refunds/credits (according to a post with an image of of the announcement). The only option we have is to go with what RCI tells us which as of 30 minutes ago was that our cruise will sail.

To all you experts and "concerned" citizens who are not cruising this weekend nor live in the area: You have nothing at stake here and your opinions and advice mean nothing to me, nor am I a "fool".

This is why we only fly southwest as long as it's a city they fly to. They are the best airline imo. If you do make it to H Town tomorrow, try to book a hotel that's not in an flood prone area. Wish you luck on Sunday, or even Monday/Tuesday

http://m.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/As-Hurricane-Harvey-arrives-here-are-areas-11958173.php

From Royal Caribbean 3 minutes ago:

Hello, this is Royal Caribbean International.We would like to provide you with important information regarding your Sunday, August27, sailing onboard Liberty of the Seas.

We are actively monitoring path and progressionof Hurricane Harvey. At this time, Libertyof the Seas will keep her original schedule for Sunday’s turnaround inGalveston, Texas. Should we make any changes to Liberty of the Sea’s itinerary, we will make sure to inform ourguests and travel partners.

Royal Caribbean will provide you with anupdate tomorrow by 12:00 PM CT. We appreciate your understanding andcooperation.

Are you saying they may be bringing the ships into a closed port if it stays closed until Tuesday?

It was stated that the port is working with Pilots. The decision to bring in the ships/or not will occur at some point. No one can predict today what opportunity will arise over the next few days. They are in constant communication.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The theory about the "window" to turn next week's Liberty cruise into a 4 or 5 day cruise is interesting. That said, the window would have to be open long enough to unload 3,200 +/- passengers and luggage, reload 3,200 passengers and their luggage, and re-provision the ship with fuel, food and supplies. And the Port of Galveston will not re-open until it is safe to do so.

As a Diamond Member on RCL and the equivalent level on Princess, I never forget that the bottom line is naturally the main thing in any business, especially publicly traded companies.

As to the above comment "If you cruise on Sunday-which you probably won't-do you even want to?

I love to cruise, but a cruise in the middle of a hurricane does not sound like a good time."

Actually, long ago when Vision of the Seas was only a year or two old my wife and I were on her on a very rough winter North Atlantic crossing. As we left Stavanger, Norway the Captain announced it would be rough for a few hours and then the storm would veer away. What actually happened was we had 50 foot seas and 84 knot winds for the next 4 days. The Captain had to keep the bow headed directly into the huge waves and so we ended up in Halifax vs. Boston, but we didn't care. It was the most fun cruise ever! Lots of breaking glass at first, but then all the liquor and other breakables were placed on the floor. Lots of dishes broke in the kitchen.

Everyone adapted and it was a long cruise with veteran cruisers so not too many got seasick and the stage shows with dance numbers were delayed because the stage was going up and down 50 ft. So, we had singers and comedians. After that experience, anytime we encounter 10-20 foot seas and most freak out, we just laugh and enjoy the ride.

For years after that we would discuss this crossing with RCL captains and staff captains and they all had heard about it,

The only bad part was that even though a new ship, in 50 foot seas Vision of the Seas creaked and groaned so much and so loudly that it was hard to sleep until we adapted.

Another thing to keep in mind is neither RCI or CCL can disgorge thousands of passengers in Galveston to trap them there in unsafe or impassable conditions. The PR disaster would be similar to the guy bloodied and dragged off the United flight.

So there's "getting in" and getting in practically.

The theory about the "window" to turn next week's Liberty cruise into a 4 or 5 day cruise is interesting. That said, the window would have to be open long enough to unload 3,200 +/- passengers and luggage, reload 3,200 passengers and their luggage, and re-provision the ship with fuel, food and supplies. And the Port of Galveston will not re-open until it is safe to do so.

As a Diamond Member on RCL and the equivalent level on Princess, I never forget that the bottom line is naturally the main thing in any business, especially publicly traded companies.

As to the above comment "If you cruise on Sunday-which you probably won't-do you even want to?

I love to cruise, but a cruise in the middle of a hurricane does not sound like a good time."

Actually, long ago when Vision of the Seas was only a year or two old my wife and I were on her on a very rough winter North Atlantic crossing. As we left Stavanger, Norway the Captain announced it would be rough for a few hours and then the storm would veer away. What actually happened was we had 50 foot seas and 84 knot winds for the next 4 days. The Captain had to keep the bow headed directly into the huge waves and so we ended up in Halifax vs. Boston, but we didn't care. It was the most fun cruise ever! Lots of breaking glass at first, but then all the liquor and other breakables were placed on the floor. Lots of dishes broke in the kitchen.

Everyone adapted and it was a long cruise with veteran cruisers so not too many got seasick and the stage shows with dance numbers were delayed because the stage was going up and down 50 ft. So, we had singers and comedians. After that experience, anytime we encounter 10-20 foot seas and most freak out, we just laugh and enjoy the ride.

For years after that we would discuss this crossing with RCL captains and staff captains and they all had heard about it,

The only bad part was that even though a new ship, in 50 foot seas Vision of the Seas creaked and groaned so much and so loudly that it was hard to sleep until we adapted.

This reminds me of what happened to Anthem of the Seas leaving from NJ, captain risked it and sailed into a storm even though it was known beforehand. People got injured and sick, Passengers later complained that RCL should've cancelled the cruise. Well im sure had thsy cancelled it, an equal number of people would've complained.

I have an employee on the Carnival ship that was scheduled to dock tomorrow. I signed up for alerts as if I was on the next cruise on that ship. The update I received from them at 12:35 indicated the port "is expected to remain closed to all marine traffic until the storm has passed and a port assessment has been completed."

Another person that works for me has a niece on the Carnival ship scheduled to dock on Sunday. She just received a text that they announced that ship will be heading to NOLA for food and water...expected to arrive tomorrow around 1:00 and only be in port a couple of hours.

If the Captain is expecting a "window of opportunity" he is apparently more optimistic.

Please keep us updated on your "adventure". GL, just a "concerned citizen".

Hi, I'm with NBC 5 in Dallas/Fort Worth. We'd like to chat with you about potentially being stuck at sea because of Hurricane Harvey. Would you mind sharing your email address with us, so we can contact you? Thank you!

Hi I work in Travel and Tourism in CA if you need a report please don't hesitate to email me at daielonn2002at yahoo.com. I have relatives in Houston TX. What I say to people is to be extra prepared for unexpected delays due to the weather. I usually travel during April or November to avoid the hurricane season. What I suggest people is to ensure that they take all necessary precautions and to not travel during such an event. Always have dollar bills , extra gas as ATM machine and credit cards will be down and gas stations can be closed. Never leave without at least a 12 tank of gas.

I have traveled to Houston South Padre Island and Galveston in May 2008 so I know the area well. The highway between Houston and Galveston will be crowded. If you are stuck on the ship they will work with you to make all necessary arrangements but its good to have a good Travel Insurance like Allianz that covers any interruptions. But even with a good Travel Insurance you need a good Homeowneres Insurance and Auto insurance.

Safety first and if you miss a cruise as a result you can always reoook on a new cruise.

This reminds me of what happened to Anthem of the Seas leaving from NJ, captain risked it and sailed into a storm even though it was known beforehand. People got injured and sick, Passengers later complained that RCL should've cancelled the cruise. Well im sure had thsy cancelled it, an equal number of people would've complained.
During a storm, a ship at sea is much safer than a ship in port. The captain wasn't "risking it" - he was actually protecting the asset.

So both carnival ships will refuel and reload on food at NOLA tomorrow, which will allow for them to stay at Sea for days if necessary. So then what happens if Liberty couldn't make their window on Sunday? Wouldn't they run put of food and fuel?

Another thing to keep in mind is neither RCI or CCL can disgorge thousands of passengers in Galveston to trap them there in unsafe or impassable conditions. The PR disaster would be similar to the guy bloodied and dragged off the United flight.

So there's "getting in" and getting in practically.

If the storm passes and the ship is able to get into the port safely, but disembarking passengers cannot safely leave due to ground conditions or closed airports (and there are likewise no arriving passengers ready to board), the ship will likely remain in port as a floating hotel for the few days it takes to regroup. That's exactly what happened during Andrew in Miami.

During a storm, a ship at sea is much safer than a ship in port. The captain wasn't "risking it" - he was actually protecting the asset.

Eh not in this case as the storm wasn't in home port (NYC/NJ) area. They hit the storm off the coast of South Carolina on their way to the Carribean. And it was well forecasted ahead of time. The captain cant go around it, so he decides to go through it. So in this case it had nothing to do with protecting the ship.

So both carnival ships will refuel and reload on food at NOLA tomorrow, which will allow for them to stay at Sea for days if necessary. So then what happens if Liberty couldn't make their window on Sunday? Wouldn't they run put of food and fuel?

I'd imagine we're taking on extra provisions here in Cozumel. We're only at sea for one day before reaching Galveston. We could probably make three if provisioned correctly.

In these situations you have to trust the cruise lines know what their doing.