Age where photo Id is needed to get back on ship

Canadianmama3

My oldest is 16 and doesn't have his licence yet. At what age do they require you to have photo Id to get back on the ship?

I don't want to bring his passport off and the only thing he has with his photo on now is his health card (Ontario). He should have his beginners license by our march cruise. But just want to know if it's needed. If it is I can make certain he gets it before we leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My oldest is 16 and doesn't have his licence yet. At what age do they require you to have photo Id to get back on the ship?

I don't want to bring his passport off and the only thing he has with his photo on now is his health card (Ontario). He should have his beginners license by our march cruise. But just want to know if it's needed. If it is I can make certain he gets it before we leave.

My daughter uses her school picture ID. Although, in all of our cruises, they've never asked to see our ID's, only the ship card.

My daughter uses her school picture ID. Although, in all of our cruises, they've never asked to see our ID's, only the ship card.

They also have school Id so that's good to know. We were asked for photo Id in Nassau so I want to be prepared just in case.

Hopefully he'll have his license by then but you never know.

Never take your passport off the ship! Drivers license and Sign & Sail card.

I think they announce that all kids under 16 no need for photo ID.

The reason they do this is to make sure that if you lose your S&S card, like on an excursion, some stranger cannot get onto the ship with it. It is just for security to match your face to the ship's computer.

Someone posted here last year - the man and his daughter swapped S&S cards by accident. He tried to get back on ship, using her card, and they wouldn't let him. Luckily he had a drivers license, so they believed his story when his face matched and it said he was the father of the girl whose card he had.

robin

Why on earth would anyone leave their passport in their safe on the ship while going ashore? What good is it if you have a medical emergency, legal issue or whatever while in a foreign port? If you don't make it back to the ship, being in a foreign country without a passport can be a game changer, to say the least. What's the point of even having a passport if not for the aforementioned reasons?

Why on earth would anyone leave their passport in their safe on the ship while going ashore? What good is it if you have a medical emergency, legal issue or whatever while in a foreign port? If you don't make it back to the ship, being in a foreign country without a passport can be a game changer, to say the least. What's the point of even having a passport if not for the aforementioned reasons?

You are advised to leave your passport on the ship. We have our passports because we are Canadian and need them to enter the US but many Americans don't even have a passport with them when they cruise.

I'm more concerned with losing my passport in port then having an emergency. If there is an emergency we can contact the Canadian consulate for assistance and our passports can be obtained from the ship. Worst case would be a delay of a few days to get our passports back to us, versus losing them completely.

It's more important to have travel insurance which we always do.

To get back on the ship you just need your sign and sail card, I never had to produce an ID getting back on the ship while in port.

For other needs:

From the Carnival website:

Domestic Cruises (including Canada) that do not include travel to Cuba

For cruises that begin and/or end in a U.S port, the following WHTI-Compliant Documents are acceptable for cruise travel. These standard forms of documentation will enable the Department of Homeland Security to quickly and reliably identify a traveler. If a picture I.D. is not affixed to the WHTI-compliant document, a picture I.D. is required (a valid, unexpired government-issued photo I.D. for all guests 16 years of age or older). If the cruise includes air travel to or from Canada, a valid, unexpired U.S. passport is required.

US Customs and Border Protection site: U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL), a government-issued birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) or passport, and if 16 or older, a government issued driver's license, picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth.

If you have an emergency, you can contact the port agent (the number is in the Fun Times - take that ashore with you) and the ship can retrieve your passports. If you left behind at a port, one of the ship's officers will retrieve your passports and any obvious medication in your room and leave those items with the port agent.

To get back on the ship you just need your sign and sail card, I never had to produce an ID getting back on the ship while in port.

For other needs:

From the Carnival website:

Domestic Cruises (including Canada) that do not include travel to Cuba

For cruises that begin and/or end in a U.S port, the following WHTI-Compliant Documents are acceptable for cruise travel. These standard forms of documentation will enable the Department of Homeland Security to quickly and reliably identify a traveler. If a picture I.D. is not affixed to the WHTI-compliant document, a picture I.D. is required (a valid, unexpired government-issued photo I.D. for all guests 16 years of age or older). If the cruise includes air travel to or from Canada, a valid, unexpired U.S. passport is required.

US Customs and Border Protection site: U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL), a government-issued birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) or passport, and if 16 or older, a government issued driver's license, picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth.

Actually when we were in Nassau they were asking people for Id at the port. The cruise lines do tell you to bring photo Id with you. I'm just not certain of the age.

Can you get a local government ID?

In California we can get a State ID thru our Department of Motor Vehicles. Looks just like a driver's license.

Can you get a local government ID?

In California we can get a State ID thru our Department of Motor Vehicles. Looks just like a driver's license.

We can. But if we have to go that route I would just make him get his learners permit before we go. I'm guessing he will have it. But just trying to figure out if it's a "must" or not.

I'm one who think it's better to err on the side of caution.

In Europe I'll carry a laminated business card sized copy of my passport info page. Used that for ID several times with no issue.

You are advised to leave your passport on the ship. We have our passports because we are Canadian and need them to enter the US but many Americans don't even have a passport with them when they cruise.

I'm more concerned with losing my passport in port then having an emergency. If there is an emergency we can contact the Canadian consulate for assistance and our passports can be obtained from the ship. Worst case would be a delay of a few days to get our passports back to us, versus losing them completely.

It's more important to have travel insurance which we always do.

Didn't read thru all post BUT we made a copy of passports and have never been questioned.

Photo ID is required of 16 year olds, but we always have govt photo ID for all of our kids when we are off the ship. It has just always seemed like a smart idea. I have been off the ship on many port days where the crew instructed us to bring photo ID with us, so definately be prepared if you don't want to carry passports ashore.

This is directly from the Carnival website:

Photo Identification

A non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

• Driver's License
  • Driver's Permit
  • School/Student I.D. (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)
  • Government-issued identification card (city/state/federal)
  • Government-issued Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST) - for photo identification use only

Your son's school id will suffice.

Actually when we were in Nassau they were asking people for Id at the port. The cruise lines do tell you to bring photo Id with you. I'm just not certain of the age.

We had same situation in Nassau. My friend only brought ship cards and had to go to another very long line to get back on. I agree to get him an ID card, and didn't realize until recently that we should not take out passports off with us. We have been getting then stamped but now we have been to most places multiple times so no longer need that. We have been taking our passports off with us but may need to take another form of ID and just keep them in the safe.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

16 and older are supposed to have ID. 15 and under need ID to prove they don't need ID. It is kind of a Catch 22. It has to be a government issued ID, so a school ID will work.

Here is what I could find on the Carnival website (it really doesn't answer the question) ...

Required Documentation & Identification

Please note that travel documentation requirements vary by destination and change often. It is the responsibility of the guest to provide valid travel and medical history documents required for air travel, debarkation at various ports of call and re-entry into the appropriate country of origin.

Your Sail & Sign Card will serve as your identification card when you re-board the ship in a port of call. Remember to take it with you whenever you go ashore. You will be required to show it to a Carnival security officer in order to re-board the ship.

https://www.carnival.com/legal/shore-excursions-terms.aspx

Never ashore without passports, safely tucked away, of course. We don't keep passports with money, cards, etc., just in case. Thieves probably don't want to get that personal!

We've seen more than one occasion where somebody is sick/injured/fall-down-drunk/oblivious of ship time and wind up in-country without a passport. It's a big fat hairy deal. In fact we're somewhat paranoid about getting "left behind" . That will ruin your day fer-sherr !!

I won't take passports off the ship. They stay in the safe. I'm talking about when we are in port.

I ALWAYS take my passport off the ship. Won't do me one bit of good in the safe when I have a heart attack (God forbid, or any serious condition) and need to be transported to a hospital and miss the ship sailing. Try flying back into the US or Canada without one........TAKE IT WITH YOU. A photo copy won't work.

If I get off the ship I will have a credit card and my passport.

I don't understand why a person would have a passport to prove their identity in a foreign country and then lock up that passport where they have no access to it while they are in a foreign country.

I would not want to be detained in another country and even less would I want my kid detained in another country without proper identification.

What if your kid is accused of shoplifting or matches the description of someone who did something and the also has no proper id?

I am thinking that police anywhere would not be too impressed by a library card or a school id as proper identification.

A sixteen year old boy may be seen as a man.

It is just too old to be unprepared.

My twenty year old daughter was left on the dock in Nassau.

It was not something we thought would happen.

The ship did not wait even one minute.

Scary things can happen fast.

But she did have a credit card and her passport.

Stuff happens that we do not expect.

Seriously.

Be careful and be prepared.

I am not going to get into the passport debate, do what you think is best and deal with whatever consequences.

There seems to be some confusion over what you need to get back ON the ship at a port vs what you need to get TO the ship. I can't recall a port where the port security didn't require a photo ID and the ship's card to enter the port facility. Once inside the port the SHIP only needs the ship card, as they have your photo in their system and they match the face on their computer screen to your face.

In the past we sailed with our then 16 yo son who did not yet have a DL. Every port was fine with his school photo ID, but we did have his passport in case that wouldn't satisfy the port security people.