Itinerary Change

Vict0riann

We just had an email from HAL to say our New England/Canada itinerary had changed - one hour earlier in Charlottetown and one hour later for Quebec. I imagine it is because Canada has lowered the speed limit in the Gulf of St. Laurence. So many whales are being killed this year! I'm happy HAL has complied with the the new regulation!:)

We just had an email from HAL to say our New England/Canada itinerary had changed - one hour earlier in Charlottetown and one hour later for Quebec. I imagine it is because Canada has lowered the speed limit in the Gulf of St. Laurence. So many whales are being killed this year! I'm happy HAL has complied with the the new regulation!:)

It certainly sounds like this change is to comply with the new regulations. That's a good thing. There are not enough of these whales left to risk another one being killed.

Good to hear, Ann - thanks :)

I think the speed limit now is 18 knots - I had thought that "Scenic cruising" in the Gulf probably would have been even slower than that, but evidently not, and we are going to need a little more time, perhaps for the nighttime speed.

We had the same email this morning. Are you on the Zuiderdam NY departure 9/10?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Or the October 7 Montreal-Fort Lauderdale? We got the same email for our cruise.

It is good to know that HAL is complying with the new speed limit.

Sad so many whales have been killed.

HAL has been sailing slowly in this area for years in order to protect the endangered right whales . It might be new Regulations from Canada for sailing in S t. Lawrence and good for them if so. We have to protect those incredible animals.

HAL has been sailing slowly in this area for years in order to protect the endangered right whales . It might be new Regulations from Canada for sailing in S t. Lawrence and good for them if so. We have to protect those incredible animals.

While the ships have been sailing slowly, it is not slow enough. The whales have for some reason chosen to migrate closer and 13 have been lost. There are only slightly over 500 of this species left in the world.

Canada closed fishing operations a month early in an effort to protect them and now has legislated new lower speed limits in this area in an effort to protect them.

Canada is very protective of their wildlife.

While in Banff a earlier this year, we learned they fenced off the highway so they have no road kills. Then they wildlife had issues with not being able to cross the highway, so they built overpasses and underpasses for them to get across. He said we can't see these overpasses and underpasses from the road. I guess we go over a high spot and they run through a tunnel or something.

While the ships have been sailing slowly, it is not slow enough. The whales have for some reason chosen to migrate closer and 13 have been lost. There are only slightly over 500 of this species left in the world.

Have you some information a bout which ships (if any) struck those whales? How do You know how slowly HAL ships are sailing? fIf any cruise line, shipping company is violating the regulation, it would seem investiagations would disclose that. :cool:

Canada closed fishing operations a month early in an effort to protect them and now has legislated new lower speed limits in this area in an effort to protect them.[/quote I wonder why they just now legislated the slower speed? U.S. did so long ago.] U.S. has banned cod fishing for not only commercial fishermen, but also recreational f ishing. U.S is very on top of protecting the oceanlife in our region. ;)

Edited by sail7seas

Have you some information a bout which ships (if any) struck those whales? How do You know how slowly HAL ships are sailing? fIf any cruise line, shipping company is violating the regulation, it would seem investiagations would disclose that. :cool:

Canada closed fishing operations a month early in an effort to protect them and now has legislated new lower speed limits in this area in an effort to protect them.[/quote I wonder why they just now legislated the slower speed? U.S. did so long ago.] U.S. has banned cod fishing for not only commercial fishermen, but also recreational f ishing. U.S is very on top of protecting the oceanlife in our region. ;)

Oh for crying out loud Sail, please get the quote straight and do not mix mine with yours.

I live here and pay attention to the news.

There have been protective measures in these waters for years - but they just got more protective. The whales have MOVED. No one knows why nor could predict it. Most stay here - close to us.

I am planning to sail from Montreal to Boston. Will HAL depart Quebec City an hour earlier and arrive PEI an hour later ? Will HAL then plan to arrive in Quebec anhour earlier and depart PEI an hour later to make the amount of time in these ports the same as advertised? These are two ports I would love to spend as much time as possible.