New Cruiser - Solo single male mid 30s

mcwilcr

Hello Everyone, I had some other vacation plans go bust for this winter and decided Ive never taken a cruise so lets change that. I'll be traveling solo and am a single straight male in my mid 30s with a fairly active lifestyle. I've done a bit of research trying to find my best options and am working with an agent as well and she has given me a few options and has promised a few more to come today. here is what she has found for me so far

Carnival Conquest

11/25/17 for 8 days Eastern Caribbean leaving from Ft Lauderdale, FL

1/6/18 for 8 days Southern Caribbean leaving from Ft Lauderdale, FL

Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas

11/24/17 for 10 days Southern Caribbean leaving from Ft Lauderdale, FL

1/26/18 for 10 days Southern Caribbean leaving from Ft Lauderdale, FL

A few of my requirements as I see them:

1) not necessarily looking for a singles cruise but would be nice if there is a higher likelihood of single travelers around my age

2) would prefer not to be overrun by families and kids

3) want a fun Itinerary with lots of opportunity for exploring (hiking, snorkling, kayaking, etc) in port as well as fun activities on board

4) best bang for my buck? drink packages, food packages, etc.

5) Would prefer to leave from florida because it looks like leaving from other places has half of the itinerary stopping at ports in the US...

I have also been looking at other cruise lines like NCL. No concrete dates in mind but I want to do something this fall/winter if possible.

now that Ive laid out some background, here are my questions:

Of what I have listed in the first 4 options, which will I likely have more fun on and have more of my so called requirements met?

Other things I should be looking for?

alternate recommendations for cruise line, month, itinerary?

Thank you all very much in advance! these boards have been of tremendous help researching for this trip.

Choosing cruises longer than 7 days and during times of the year when the kiddos tend to be in school gets around the ship being overrun with families and children. Looks like the cruises you're considering do that. On a 10-day cruise on any line you're going to tend to run into an older passenger mix. I love the Southern Caribbean, but either Eastern or Southern will be good.

Roz

Choosing cruises longer than 7 days and during times of the year when the kiddos tend to be in school gets around the ship being overrun with families and children. Looks like the cruises you're considering do that. On a 10-day cruise on any line you're going to tend to run into an older passenger mix. I love the Southern Caribbean, but either Eastern or Southern will be good.

Roz

Thanks, Roz. By older do you mean generally older than myself? a wide age demographic is fine with me but I would like to hopefully have a large number of passengers around my age. Sounds like for what I want maybe I should stick with more than 7 less than 10?

Thanks, Roz. By older do you mean generally older than myself? a wide age demographic is fine with me but I would like to hopefully have a large number of passengers around my age. Sounds like for what I want maybe I should stick with more than 7 less than 10?

The 10-12 day cruises I've taken tend to be more in the 40s-70s range, but on most cruises, you'll still find a wide range, from infants to those 90+.

Roz

:') Single staight male in his mid-30's that can afford to cruise solo ... can I introduce you to my daughter LOL

Whatever you do, I'm sure that you'll have a great time. 7 day cruises tend to attract a very mixed demographic and if you choose to cruise while school is in session, there will be fewer families with children on board.

:') Single staight male in his mid-30's that can afford to cruise solo ... can I introduce you to my daughter LOL

Whatever you do, I'm sure that you'll have a great time. 7 day cruises tend to attract a very mixed demographic and if you choose to cruise while school is in session, there will be fewer families with children on board.

lol, Thanks. I've just never been on a cruise before and I don't feel like waiting for someone to go with me. besides, I enjoy solo adventures; I get to do anything I want to do. Seems like general consensus is that the 7-8 day cruises are going to be more the demographic I'm looking for.

I notice you did mention NCL

The newer larger ships for Norwegian have solo cabins which might be something you might want to look into as you won't be paying the single supplement (basically paying for both beds in a cabin). There is also a solo cruiser coordinator who will make group reservations for the solo cruisers for dinner and some shows. Its a great way to be part of a group so you're not eating alone.

NCL does offer a "free" drinks package -- you just pay about $100 taxes on the package and you have unlimited drinks under $15 which is not a bad idea at all.

The larger newer ships will also offer more activity options as well, water slides, rock climbing walls, zip lines etc.

I'm not sure what day Thanksgiving is this year, but be warned that if cruising that week you might find a lot of children/families on board for the holiday sailing. You want to book a week or two before a holiday or after the holiday to get a cheaper fare as well having fewer children on board.

Whatever you choose have a super time!

good point, thanksgiving is the 23rd this year so the week after should have the kiddos back in school right? seems like there is a lot going for the NCL offerings. Solo cabins and lounge are the main reasons I was looking at them in the first place but a newer ship with more to do sounds nice too. lots to think about

Has your agent been on the ships she's recommending? Did she consider your activities in selecting ports? If so, I'd stick with her advice. Ignore marketing hype, look at the total price, especially if you book packages. Be wary of "no single supplement", it's built in to the price of solo cabins. Your agent should also explain all the extra charges you can expect.

Port stops are not geared to active, self-reliant singles, it's hard to organise your time efficiently if you're not familiar with the port. Sometimes the ship's tours are the most cost-effective solution, sometimes not. Remember you MUST be back to the ship on time.

Hello Everyone, I had some other vacation plans go bust for this winter and decided Ive never taken a cruise so lets change that. I'll be traveling solo and am a single straight male in my mid 30s with a fairly active lifestyle. I've done a bit of research trying to find my best options and am working with an agent as well and she has given me a few options and has promised a few more to come today. here is what she has found for me so far

Carnival Conquest

11/25/17 for 8 days Eastern Caribbean leaving from Ft Lauderdale, FL

1/6/18 for 8 days Southern Caribbean leaving from Ft Lauderdale, FL

Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas

11/24/17 for 10 days Southern Caribbean leaving from Ft Lauderdale, FL

1/26/18 for 10 days Southern Caribbean leaving from Ft Lauderdale, FL

A few of my requirements as I see them:

1) not necessarily looking for a singles cruise but would be nice if there is a higher likelihood of single travelers around my age

2) would prefer not to be overrun by families and kids

3) want a fun Itinerary with lots of opportunity for exploring (hiking, snorkling, kayaking, etc) in port as well as fun activities on board

4) best bang for my buck? drink packages, food packages, etc.

5) Would prefer to leave from florida because it looks like leaving from other places has half of the itinerary stopping at ports in the US...

I have also been looking at other cruise lines like NCL. No concrete dates in mind but I want to do something this fall/winter if possible.

now that Ive laid out some background, here are my questions:

Of what I have listed in the first 4 options, which will I likely have more fun on and have more of my so called requirements met?

Other things I should be looking for?

alternate recommendations for cruise line, month, itinerary?

Thank you all very much in advance! these boards have been of tremendous help researching for this trip.

I've done a few singles cruises(with a group )..they were fun and met new friends..but I liked the ncl epic with the solo lounge as well or better with less expense..i'm doing the epic again this nov. met a new friend last nov. who is booking again also...I prefer the epics solo cabins...IMHO..also the drink package as a perk can't be beat..