Boston -> Rotterdam is $$$?

geomancer

Just a question of curiosity. I leave near Boston so I've been keeping on eye on cruise options that I wouldn't have to fly to, and this is one that interests me far more than the New England ones (I live here, so not as special as it would be for visitors ;) ). It would be flying home though (they have a 38 day round trip option, but I can't take that much off work in a row ;) ).

However, this itinerary seems to be significantly more expensive per day than most everything I've looked at. Like me, do a lot of others find this to be far more interesting and thus it has lots of demand? Or is there something else that drives it up?

Assume you are referring to the "Voyage of the Vikings" sailing?

This is HAL's most popular sailing and it sells out early every year. People love it though as you get to places no other cruise goes.

Pricing dictated by demand so they can commend a higher per diem.

Okay, yeah, I figured. It *does* look interesting. I wasn't sure if it was just popular, or if there was something else (extra small ship, or outrageous port fees somewhere, etc).

Hopefully it's still around once I retire, it seems perfect for a big hurrah once I'm done working. But that's 30 years to go ;) I could squeeze the one-way in though after my daughter leaves the nest...

Thanks for the info!

Might consider doing the opposite direction. While still expensive but not as expensive as Voyage of the Vikings, the Viking Passages from Rotterdam to Boston was a great cruise (especially with the four? 25 hour days included). We did that cruise this year and had a great time. We spent three days in Amsterdam before the cruise to help with jet lag from the west coast US.

I assume HAL gives preference on cabins to those wanting to do the round trip. Is that correct?

Roz

What do you mean by gives preference? Preference in what way?

We wanted to do Boston t o Rottererdam one year for VOV , wanted a Neptuune Suite and had no difficulty booking it for the one way..

They have blocks of cabins for the full and the two segments. Princess does this regularly . The best cabins are saved for the full cruise.

The Npeptune suite we had booked for one way segment was mid ship (port), right across from Neptune Lounge. A great cab in in great location.,

They have blocks of cabins for the full and the two segments. Princess does this regularly . The best cabins are saved for the full cruise.

Actually, from what I have seen from doing several collectors' cruises, the better choices are on the segments. No idea why, but they are. I have asked for a cabin to be pulled out of inventory for the two segments so I could have it on the Collectors.

This time we plan on a B2B and the choices were very good IMO.

Might just be my experience though on certain cruises.