Convertor for Blow dryer in Italy

Bobkat26

Ok so I am really confused. Can someone tell me what convertor to buy to use my blow dryer and flat iron in Italy. The Airbnb we are staying says I need a transformer 220V. I am so confused when I look on Amazon. Anyone have any recommendations?

Any help appreciated.

Kathy

Ok so I am really confused. Can someone tell me what convertor to buy to use my blow dryer and flat iron in Italy. The Airbnb we are staying says I need a transformer 220V. I am so confused when I look on Amazon. Anyone have any recommendations?

Any help appreciated.

Kathy

Hi,

Please take a look at your blow dryer and flat iron and look at any tags or information written on them. Some of them have a switch on them as well that allows them to work on either voltage ( I have a dryer that does that). If you have one of these all that you will need is just a simple adapter plug that will let you plug in your device in it and the other side of the adapter has different configuration of prongs that will fit the 220 outlet. You will need to move the switch on your device from 120V to 220V.

If you do not have such a device than you need a transformer that will change the voltage from the 220V to 120 volts.

They come in different sizes and you need to buy one that can handle the requirements of your devices for the amount of the current usage ( amperes or watts ). Some dryers can draw as much as 1500 watts so the transformer needs to be at least 1500 Watts or more. The bigger the transformer the heavier and more expensive.

This page on Amazon shows some options.

https://www.amazon.com/Simran-THG-200-Transformer-Converter-Conversion/dp/B005GHGOAC/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1504019771&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=transformer%2B220v%2Bto%2B110v&th=1

I'd recommend buying a dual-voltage travel dryer, or buy a 220 v dryer once you get there, if you travel often in Europe. If you try to use a 110 v dryer on 220 voltage, even with a transformer, it won't work very well, and is likely to melt/blow up.

Yes, don't count on your appliances working as they do at home even with the corrected voltage. I have friends with "challenging" hair who brought their own massive power blowers (I swear you could use these things outdoors like leaf blowers) but they did not have the same power when used with the convertor. Lots of braids, buns and topknots on that trip.

Yes, don't count on your appliances working as they do at home even with the corrected voltage.

That's because electricity in Italy is set at 50cps instead of the 60cps in the U.S. So even if you have a transformer that converts 220-230 volts down to 110-115, the electric motor in a hairdryer is only going to be working at 5/6ths of its normal speed. Same problem with electric clocks. Buy a hairdryer in Italy.

Believe me, you do not want to pack a transformer big enough for your US appliances all over Europe. By the way, the transformer is the only device that will do what you want to do. The tiny voltage converters sold online or in various shops do not have the capacity for your hair dryer, etc. They will fail, or worse, burst out in fire and/or smoke and make a mess.

The best advice, already given here, is to invest in dual voltage devices OR wait until you get overseas and buy what you need over there.

We barely averted a lot of fire and smoke on our South American trip last winter. My wife was preparing to use a hair straightener...and I happened to notice (I got an attaboy for this). As I am electrician, I knew what might happen, so we explored the tiny print on the device and discovered that it was 120v only.

Happily that item came home unscathed, but also unused. :cool:

Buy a dual voltage travel dryer. T3 has a good one. I've had it for close to 8 years now. I take it with me when I know there won't be one where I'm staying. Best thing - I can use it at home, too! When I go with the girlfriends on a weekend, 6 girls sharing 1 bathroom - I can use that dryer anywhere there is an outlet!!

When purchasing a new hair dryer especially the ones that are very 'powerful' be aware of the "Watts" or amperes /amp that they use. In US most of the outlets in the residential homes are rated and wired for 15AMP usage . There are also some outlets wired for 20AMP usage. Make sure that the powerful dryer that might be using as much as 1875 Watts is plugged in the proper outlet. !875 Watts is more than 15 AMPS so it should not be plugged in a 15AMP wired outlet.

Most likely your dryer and iron are compatible with 110V/60Hz and 220V/50Hz. There should be a tag on the cord that states if they are compatible. If the cord is attached to a rectangular plastic thing (aka brick) it may be there. Or it may be on the unit itself.

If you see 220V/50Hz you're good to go and all you need is an adapter for the plug.

By the way, if you don't see 220V/50Hz, I would buy one in the US that does say that instead of trying to deal with it in Italy.

Most likely your dryer and iron are compatible with 110V/60Hz and 220V/50Hz. There should be a tag on the cord that states if they are compatible. If the cord is attached to a rectangular plastic thing (aka brick) it may be there. Or it may be on the unit itself.

If you see 220V/50Hz you're good to go and all you need is an adapter for the plug.

By the way, if you don't see 220V/50Hz, I would buy one in the US that does say that instead of trying to deal with it in Italy.

Be careful with that generalization about dryers and irons. It's true for electronics nowadays. But, dryers and irons are not electronics.

I did a quick search on Amazon and found this dual voltage hair dryer. There are probably more and I'm not endorsing this one but just as an example....

https://www.amazon.com/Vidal-Sasson-VS784-1875W-Travel/dp/B000PXYCHE/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1504185678&sr=8-2&keywords=110%2F220v+hair+dryer

FWIW I looked at my wife's hair dryer and it's not dual voltage. So if you buy one before you leave make sure it is dual voltage.

I did a quick search on Amazon and found this dual voltage hair dryer. There are probably more and I'm not endorsing this one but just as an example....

https://www.amazon.com/Vidal-Sasson-VS784-1875W-Travel/dp/B000PXYCHE/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1504185678&sr=8-2&keywords=110%2F220v+hair+dryer

FWIW I looked at my wife's hair dryer and it's not dual voltage. So if you buy one before you leave make sure it is dual voltage.

Thank you for coming back. I looked this morning at my full-size T3 (NOT my travel one). It has the "block" at the end, but it definitely NOT dual-voltage (only the 110-60 marking). The "block" actually has a "circuit breaker" push button thingie...