Navigator vs Freedom

Hi, we are considering a southern Caribbean on either Navigator or Freedom for 11/2018. We sailed on the Freedom in February and LOVED ❤️it. DH wants to stick with what we know but I would rather choose the Navigator as it sails from Miami (no airfare for us) and it goes to Labadee. So I want to make sure I know what might be different and as I am trying to search I think I am running into old info.

Is there one more signature restaurant on Navigator (Izumi) or did that replace one of the signature restaurants we are familiar with from Freedom?

All the following questions are about Navigator:

Is there a Johhny Rockets?

Is there an Sorrento's pizza?

Does the Cafe Promenade serve Starbucks coffee like the Freedom?

Any other big differences I might need to warn DH about?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, we are considering a southern Caribbean on either Navigator or Freedom for 11/2018. We sailed on the Freedom in February and LOVED ❤️it. DH wants to stick with what we know but I would rather choose the Navigator as it sails from Miami (no airfare for us) and it goes to Labadee. So I want to make sure I know what might be different and as I am trying to search I think I am running into old info.

Is there one more signature restaurant on Navigator (Izumi) or did that replace one of the signature restaurants we are familiar with from Freedom?

All the following questions are about Navigator:

Is there a Johhny Rockets?Yes

Is there an Sorrento's pizza?No, not that I remember.

Does the Cafe Promenade serve Starbucks coffee like the Freedom?

Any other big differences I might need to warn DH about? No Cantivlevered hot tubs and a smaller solarium.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'd happily sail either ship again.

With regard to the coffee beans used at Cafe Promenade, you cannot depend on the brand. Could be Starbucks, but could also be something else like Seattle's Best, Illy, Lavazza, etc. Same with Freedom too. Could change any time.

I was on Navigator in July and will be on Freedom in a few weeks. I'd choose Freedom personally as Navigator was looking quite tired (and a few things in our cabin were broken/not working and needed to be fixed or replaced) could definitely benefit from a refurb in my opinion. Saying that there's not much difference between the two classes of ship, minus a few things (there's no cupcake cupboard on Navigator for instance) but if it is more convenient and less expensive for you (due to not having to fly) then give Navigator a try.

We did Liberty a few times (sister ship to Freedom) and will do Navigator for 3rd time in a few months, love the specialty restaurants on Navigator they have one more than Liberty, they have Chops, Giovanni's Sabor and Izumi, have not done Labadee in about 20 years and very curious about all the changes since

I love the Nav. Liberty used to be my favorite ship in the fleet before I sailed MJ but Navigator was top notch overall. I have 2 more cruises booked on Nav and thinking of booking 2 more if prices work for me. I love Izumi (will eat there 3 times on a 7 day cruise!).

It's definitely an aging ship, though, but all of my favorite ships are aging ships. The staff make up for it.

We would sail both. We picked Freedom over Navigator for our next southern because of the itinerary. While I can appreciate the difference in flights, we also enjoyed our last stay in San Juan before the cruise.

I would way the pricing and the stops. Only you can decide how that works best for you. I believe that the FOS is taking over for the AOS out of Puerto Rico and that allows you to go much farther south in the Caribbean. We did the AOS in late July and loved our stop in Curacao (our first time there).

You can get similar pizza and coffee on both (as Bob mentioned the beans can change depending on the timing). We have been on the FOS 3 times and loved it. We sailed the NOS for 8 days over the New Years' and had a blast.

I really think that, again, look at the pricing and the stops and go with what works best for you. I really do believe that you will be more than fine with either of these 2 ships.

The tired comments were not evident to us. A lot of that depends on your cabin. When we were on the AOS last month, we had new carpet and chairs in our cabin that looked better than any we have ever had on any ship. I have never seen a RCCL ship that was not in good repair.

I would way the pricing and the stops. Only you can decide how that works best for you. I believe that the FOS is taking over for the AOS out of Puerto Rico and that allows you to go much farther south in the Caribbean. We did the AOS in late July and loved our stop in Curacao (our first time there).

You can get similar pizza and coffee on both (as Bob mentioned the beans can change depending on the timing). We have been on the FOS 3 times and loved it. We sailed the NOS for 8 days over the New Years' and had a blast.

I really think that, again, look at the pricing and the stops and go with what works best for you. I really do believe that you will be more than fine with either of these 2 ships.

The tired comments were not evident to us. A lot of that depends on your cabin. When we were on the AOS last month, we had new carpet and chairs in our cabin that looked better than any we have ever had on any ship. I have never seen a RCCL ship that was not in good repair.

Yes definitely varies per cabin. Our cabin on Adventure in Feb was in very bad need of refurb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been on both in last year and a half. I am booked on each in the next five months. So it is clear that I am very comfortable on either. I really didn't see any difference between our cabins in terms of condition. Both appeared in great shape to me and honestly even when each was new you could find things that were wrong if you looked. Each has small details that the other doesn't have. The peek-a-boo bridge on Navigator is neat, if it is open. The slightly expanded spaces on Freedom can also be nice, ie the extra space on the Royal Promenade and the extra space between the curtain and the sliding glass door of a balcony can be useful. But really the experience is almost identical, at least in my experiences on each. As you can see in my signature I have been on each a number of times. It would be fair to say that each are among my favorites and I think you would do almost equally well on either.

We have been on both the Freedom and the Navigator. We're rebooked on the Navigator for our next cruise partly because of the ABC itinerary. We did miss sorrentos but we liked that the slightly smaller size of the Navigator made it feel a bit less busy. It is no less grand than Freedom though and is a beautiful ship and we can't wait to go back.