Private Excursions out of Kahului, Maui

ride4806

We will be arriving on POA and unfortunately most of the excursions that I am interested in leave from the other side of the island and folks will not pick us up and we can not make it over in time to make an 8am start time. Despite a great deal of research I have been unable to find very few reasonably priced options and DH does not want to rent a vehicle because there is not where to park on this side of the island. Could any of you folks offer any ideas for us-we are traveling with our 10 year old granddaughter who is a real nature lover and her parents. I know at the top of all our lists is to go on a whale watch but at this point I am just pretty much in search of a few reasonably options for private tours Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Despite the overnight parking issue in Kahului, it still could be your best option or as Silver recommended to a least rent for one day. Parking at the airport a couple of miles from the ship and using their shuttles or transportation services (taxi/Lyft) would still be better & less expensive than a private tour.

Public transportation isn't a good option & a rental car is the best way to enjoy 2 days here on the Valley Isle. In South Maui between Wailea & Makena there are numerous beaches (some with tidepools to explore) and further south is the lava from dormant Haleakala's last flow in the late 1700s. Our granddaughters are similarly aged and when visiting us enjoy all of those things & also the Maui Ocean Center aquarium located in Ma'alaea.

I think that not having a private tour isn't a bad thing because it's easy to navigate around Maui which is something I couldn't say about touring around O'ahu. ;)

Your roll call lists the cruise as March 10-17. If that is correct, consider renting a car for Sunday only (so no worries about overnight parking) and just driving over to Ma'alaea Harbor to do an afternoon whale watch out of there.

I will check with my Daughter or SIL and see if they are interested in driving DH, is not but thanks for that idea, we did not even consider that option. I appreciate your input! Cruiser Bruce -I corrected my signature thanks to your comment, we are cruising in March so are hoping to catch some whales in Hawaii. We were lucky enough to see them when we were up in Alaska so are hoping to see them down here.

I appreciate your input! Cruiser Bruce -I corrected my signature thanks to your comment, we are cruising in March so are hoping to catch some whales in Hawaii. We were lucky enough to see them when we were up in Alaska so are hoping to see them down here.

Ok...had me wondering...I was sure I read "4/18"...March is a different topic. And the kind of whale action you see in Hawaii is far superior to what you typically see in Alaska.