When to Disembark

tmariebolz

If you're going to self carry your luggage off the ship, would you have to be out of the room earlier or later? I did the "herded into a big room and then wait" thing 16 years ago, and dont want to do it again LOL I also dont mind missing breakfast the last day either...

We did the herded into a large room years ago ONCE for self debarkation, no need to do it now. We go for breakfast, then return to cabin and join the line of already departing people. We do it for our own convenience, not because we have an early flight, therefore once they start calling numbers we can join the end of the line w/o a problem. If you need to be off the ship, so early that you have to line up even before the are letting people off the ship, then you may be herded into the MDR to keep the walkways clear -- until they can begin to let people off the ship.

If you're going to self carry your luggage off the ship, would you have to be out of the room earlier or later? I did the "herded into a big room and then wait" thing 16 years ago, and dont want to do it again LOL I also dont mind missing breakfast the last day either...

Self-assist disembarkation is earlier than normal disembarkation.

Self-assist disembarkation is earlier than normal disembarkation.

Thank you....maybe we will have the crew collect our luggage then lol...we're not in a rush to catch a plane, we'll be driving home directly from the pier. we'll have to see what instructions they actually give us while on the ship.

We do self-disembarkation. Aug. 27 on Oasis, that was possible only until 7:30 am. They released us from the ship at 6:30 am, we were through customs at 6:40, and on the bus to go to the Orlando airport at 6:45. After 7:30am, customs was not willing to expedite re-entry to the U.S.

For us, the elimination of the line at customs makes it worth exiting early. In the Aug. 27th case, we were incredibly lucky because our return flight had been cancelled and early arrival at the airport resulted in our getting the last two seats on another flight; the next option was 6:00 pm the next day. The last time we didn't self dis-embark on the Allure, they lost one bag. It took over an hour to locate it. After that, self-disembarkation became our preferred choice.

to do what? there will literally be zero of the service and goings on you have been experiencing. you will be herded into your departure lounge and expected to disembark ASAP

Agreed. No need to hang around. Best you'd be able to do is sit around and watch people. All the good memories you just created will just turn into watching the staff clean and set up for your replacements. I'd hate to see that personally.

I've done self assist disembarkation almost everytime I've cruised. I've had to take later flights before and as well all know, FLL doesn't allow you to check in for your flight until 2 hours before it's scheduled. So sometimes I will try to drag out our time on board, the latest has been 11, I think that was for the cruise in Europe. Typically you can get away with around 10. On my cruise on Oasis we sat near the exit and just watched the lines, waiting for them to just about disappear before we jump in line to leave.

As mentioned, breakfast opens early in both the WJ and MDR on last day.

IIRC, 6AM on the Grandeur last week.

Nobody was off the ship before 8AM due to clearance.

As far as I could tell, most all of the luggage was waiting after immigration to grab at 8AM.