Alaska Itinerary...How does this sound ?

Louand66

Being you are open to a car rental do consider it. You can do well with the smallest cheapest car available. :)

Have you already determined what you are doing at Denali? Have you researched fully, all the other areas available via driving, now that you have a LOT more open to you with a rental car? I'd suggest not, jumping into the "common" popular areas, and instead, look at what is along the way, and be certain, you have the interests in the areas (not just choose them because they are "familiar". ) A necessary reference I'd suggest is you getting a copy of THE MILEPOST. It's essential for a detailed complete guide of possibilities. Knowing what you are near, then gives you the opportunity to find out more and determine if of your interest.

I would also suggest, being you are open to more time- then take advantage of it. :) I'd especially suggest a closer look at some time in Seward (not a "day trip") since you list "wildlife" as an interest. I'd also suggest considering a boat tour of Prince William Sound, since you are sailing out of Whittier. Spectacular scenic opportunity - superior to anything seen from your cruise ship, and easy add on. :)

Don't underestimate distances, which appear, early in your posts. Being conservative with time estimates is needed.

Looks more than likely we will be driving now. I assume there are plenty of petrol stations. Also how does it work if you breakdown with a hire car.

We have nothing planned either in Denali or on the way to or back from so are open to any amount of ideas or suggestion.

These forums really are a wealth of information and we are very grateful.

Love the budget queen email address as we are having to watch our pennies very much

Alaska isn't one town after another; you can drive many miles without seeing a town and services. But with a small car you won't have to worry as much about petrol. For instance it's about 240 miles from Anchorage to Denali so you can make it there on a tank of gas, but, if you choose to make a detour and visit Matanuska Glacier or Independence Mine, you would definitely need to refill somewhere.

I've come close a couple of times in a motorhome but they only get 8-11 mpg.

A brief description for the Parks Hwy drive from the Milepost:

https://www.themilepost.com/highways/parks-highway/

or this driving guide from Bells:

http://www.bellsalaska.com/highway/parks-highway/anchorage-to-wasilla/

I've never had a breakdown in a rental car. I always use the majors like Enterprise, hertz, etc and they stock newer cars. My only hiccup with a rental was when i crunched the fender of a motorhome. It was driveable and i had the extra insurance so as we drove thru Anc on our way back from Valdez we stopped at their shop for repairs. ooooops.

Thanks,

Im definitely taking the extra insurance. So am I right is saying the drive from Anchorage to Denali Park is approx 5-6 hours ??

If we want to break it up can you recommend any good places to stop along the way for a bit of sight seeing for may be an hour or so.

yes 5 or 6 hrs is a good plan for drive time. Once you get out of Anchorage it's only a 2 lane hwy all the way to Denali, so you can be slowed down by road construction, slow moving RVs, etc.

Look at the 2 links i posted earlier for Bells and Milepost, for some stopping points. My personal fave is just outside Anchorage -- the Spirit Houses and Orthodox Church in Eklutna ,only 5 minutes off the hwy exit.

https://www.eklutnahistoricalpark.org/

Other stops incl Thunderbird Falls, Eagle River Nature Center for a short trail, the Iditarod Museum in Wasilla, Talkeetna for lunch since it's the halfway point.

There are dozens of web sites in the HELPFUL RESOURCES thread below that willl help you with your research and planning .....

Edited by mapleleaves
talkeetna

Thanks,

Im definitely taking the extra insurance. So am I right is saying the drive from Anchorage to Denali Park is approx 5-6 hours ??

If we want to break it up can you recommend any good places to stop along the way for a bit of sight seeing for may be an hour or so.

Just some questions , only to offer direction? Have you looked carefully at activities in Denali and have determined your interests and have plans there already? Otherwise, I would question, why are you going there? (I'm seeing way too many people simply just making "lists" with no idea "why". A poor planning route in my opinion. It is grossly superior to find the activities things you want to see and do- first- then route to those areas. just my opinion) Especially a poor choice for Denali with those, who claim they do not want to be on buses- so why go there? I'd never recommend including a Denali visit unless you get to at least Eielson and have 2 nights there. Again, just my opinion. I can't see investing 12 hours transit, to/from Anchorage, and not getting in the park???

As I'll always mention= there are numerous areas of Alaska, each very different from others and each worthwhile with interests. A significant problem seen over and over on thei board is the underestimation of time and distances. Please keep that in mind. Time is your best friend and less, frequently offers "more". ::)

I only hope for a fantastic well planned trip for you.

Someone called Carrentals.com are doing a Mitsubushi Mirage for 24.27 $ per day.

Pick up from Anchorage Downtown 906 E 5th Ave, Anchorage,AK99501 and drop pff the same place.

Would that do it or would I need something bigger or different. There are 2 of us.

Thanks

This is a booking agent, there are only 3 downtown Car Rentals I have used. You also might want to look direct with the vendors, since that is a simpler transaction.

Your point is extremely well made. We have been considering going to Denali park because its Denali and not really done much homework about what to do when we are there.

Our thinking was enjoy the scenic drive there and then spend the next 2 days doing bus trips. Does that make sense to do ? I assume given our timescales we could travel less distance and look to do the same things ? Also where is Eielsen

Finally whats the difference between a booking agent and a down town car rental please.

Thanks for your kind replies

Your point is extremely well made. We have been considering going to Denali park because its Denali and not really done much homework about what to do when we are there.

Our thinking was enjoy the scenic drive there and then spend the next 2 days doing bus trips. Does that make sense to do ? I assume given our timescales we could travel less distance and look to do the same things ? Also where is Eielsen

Finally whats the difference between a booking agent and a down town car rental please.

Thanks for your kind replies

http://www.nps.gov/dena is very informative. Take some time and consider looking at the activities, maps, programs, museums etc.

Booking agents aren't the vendors. "Carrentals" is a middle man who will just book you with Avis, Enterprise etc, getting a commission.

I don't know all of your reasons for that itinerary...it looks pretty good, tho other posts reveal adjustments that need to be made.

Mine....fly LHR>ANC (Icelandair, Condor) and eliminate the day of connections you have listed for Seattle.

Someone ride the issue of border security and having to do this several times. What that a problem for you. What was your major reason for flying straight to Anchorage.

Thank you

Budget Queen, you mentioned a boat trip out of Prince William Sound.

I have had a look at Kenai Fjords who do cruises at 8:00am and finish at 12:30am.

So we would stay in Whittier the night before and hopefully leave our luggage at the hotel. Are the hotels near where the day cruises go from.

Is this a company you have travelled with ? Does this makes sense from a logistical point of view.

Fly to Anchorage

Drive to Denali Park 3 night

Drive to Anchorage. Drop off car

Day trip from Anchorage to Whittier

Sty overnight in Whittier

Boat day trip

Cruise..

Many thanks

You have not said how you plan to get from Anchorage to Whittier. There is a lot to see between Anchorage and Whittier including a slightly out-of-the way side jaunt to Seward. Plan to drive from Anchorage to Seward and then back to Whittier and plan to spend a few days at least on that part of the trip.

DON

Whittier is only 60 miles from Anchorage, but it takes 1 1/2 hrs to get there because you must go thru a long tunnel just before town. The tunnel is used by vehicles and trains, so its only open once an hr in each direction.

With the proposed itinerary, you could reach Whittier by train, bus, or transfer (many transfers only go to whittier on cruise days tho). Most of the transportation options will get you there in time for the day cruise. So you could choose either day to tour PWS.

Go to the HELPFUL RESOURCES thread to get the whittier web site, and tranfer options.

You have not said how you plan to get from Anchorage to Whittier. There is a lot to see between Anchorage and Whittier including a slightly out-of-the way side jaunt to Seward. Plan to drive from Anchorage to Seward and then back to Whittier and plan to spend a few days at least on that part of the trip.

DON

Hi, donaldsc, We are returning our car Anchorage and then doing the Anchorage to Whittier Wildlife tour which leaves at between 12:00-13:00.

Thanks