Trying to choose a cruise/budget minded

sunflowers6

About Us:

We are both 43 years old, with a dream to visit Alaska. It has been suggested taking a cruise would be a good way to visit for the first time. This will be my second cruise (Carnival cruise to Western Caribbean in 2015.) Husband has never cruised and isn't entirely convinced cruising will be his type of vacation (but he just hasn't done it yet!) We can travel anytime in June or July of 2018 (max of two weeks.)

Budget:

Budget is a concern. For this trip, I think we can only afford the airfares (from Denver), cruise (interior room) and excursions. Our ideal vacation would include a land package but we will have to return for another trip to explore Denali (at least this is what I believe.)

Interests:

Wildlife, nature, scenery, 'experiencing' different excursions, being active, Glacier Bay, train ride, possibly renting a car as hubby likes to drive.

Questions:

Seattle vs Vancouver. Seattle appears to be cheaper and are all return trips. We have already visited Seattle before and Victoria, B.C. It would be nice to see different sights. If we left out of Vancouver, we would also be able to enjoy a one-way cruise. Are cruises out of Vancouver more expensive or is it just the airfare (for Vancouver, Anchorage etc.) that costs more?

I will have more questions to follow, but for now am just trying to decide which cruise would be a good fit for us.

Thank you in advance!

The main advantage of Vancouver is the true Inside Passage (very scenic) and more likelihood of see Glacier Bay. As to price difference, you just have to do the research to find out which is cheaper, cruise fare wise.

Airfare with a trip involving Vancouver and Anchorage will likely be higher than a roundtrip flight, but some careful shopping may prove me wrong.

There are a few RT cruises out of Vancouver. If flights to YVR seem high, look at Seatac......you can the the train from seattle to Vancouver , the Amtrak Cascades. Or Greyhound Bus, Bolt bus, or Quick Coach.

As for excursions, you can spend $2 to $2000 at eah port. Since money is a concern, maybe budget for one special tour and economize at the other ports. Ie drive to the yukon in skagway or in ketchikan do a walking tour of the town and visit a totem park. Look at past trip reports (posted above) to see what others have done.

If your husband isnt into cruising, consider DIY land travel instead. Fly RT to Anchorage then rent a car and stay in hotels or cabins, or, rent a RV. You can do day cruises out of Seward, Whittier, or Valdez to enjoy sealife and glaciers. Certainly requires more planning than a cruise, but you'll see more of Alaska.

There are numerous budget options to consider. First- how much time can you invest? It may be possible to do some mainland touring?

Since you are open to driving, an add on, with a Denali Park visit can be the bargain jackpot for wildlife. I'd suggest a last week of May north bound cruise to either Seward or Whittier, then a round trip Anchorage rental car. If it can be decided on to go ahead with planning, looking for car rentals now can be most cost effective. Open to basic lodging? Will offer more favorable rates.

Determine- what you want then consider trying to work it out perhaps? Several expert planners on this board with great ideas. Maple is a "winner" for reasonable itineraries. :)

I travel very cheaply in Alaska. My money is freely spent on my tours, but as mentioned, there are many enjoyable actives that are low cost and free.

Just completed a land/cruise tour (July 31-Aug 11) on RC Radiance of the Sea. We booked this cruise 18-months prior when RC was running a buy-one, get one 50% off sale, for a total cost of $7200 with trip insurance. I paid a little something ($300-$500) every month until it was paid in full. Add in another $1500 for airline travel, round trip RI to Seattle, and two one way fares, Seattle to Fairbanks and Vancouver to Seattle. $150 for baggage on Alaskan Airlines. Hotels, food, optional land tour activities, tips, etc was another $1300. Expensive, yes, but a trip of a lifetime.

I should have done extensive research on Cruise Critic prior to booking the land portion with RC. So many people who have booked on their own saved a lot of money by doing so, shore excursions included.

If you decide to do a land tour the one thing I will suggest is to do it prior to sailing.

Karen

About Us:

We are both 43 years old, with a dream to visit Alaska. It has been suggested taking a cruise would be a good way to visit for the first time. This will be my second cruise (Carnival cruise to Western Caribbean in 2015.) Husband has never cruised and isn't entirely convinced cruising will be his type of vacation (but he just hasn't done it yet!) We can travel anytime in June or July of 2018 (max of two weeks.)

Budget:

Budget is a concern. For this trip, I think we can only afford the airfares (from Denver), cruise (interior room) and excursions. Our ideal vacation would include a land package but we will have to return for another trip to explore Denali (at least this is what I believe.)

Interests:

Wildlife, nature, scenery, 'experiencing' different excursions, being active, Glacier Bay, train ride, possibly renting a car as hubby likes to drive.

Questions:

Seattle vs Vancouver. Seattle appears to be cheaper and are all return trips. We have already visited Seattle before and Victoria, B.C. It would be nice to see different sights. If we left out of Vancouver, we would also be able to enjoy a one-way cruise. Are cruises out of Vancouver more expensive or is it just the airfare (for Vancouver, Anchorage etc.) that costs more?

I will have more questions to follow, but for now am just trying to decide which cruise would be a good fit for us.

Thank you in advance!

It's more expensive to sail out of Vancouver but for the but extra cost it's very worth it. Much smoother sailing as you do the inside passage both ways and it leaves for a little longer time in the Alaskan ports.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Forums mobile app

About Us:

Budget:

For the love of all things holy (or not....) PLEASE budget for one night hotel and meals pre-cruise. Please.