Pearl or Bliss?

kevin1514

I am looking at booking a cruise to Alaska next August and am torn between the Pearl and Bliss. My wife and I are in our early 30's, but aren't big into nightlife and are travelling with her parents in their late 60's. We really are more into the food experience and sightseeing. I'm a little worried the Bliss is so big that it will be crowded, but am also worried if I don't go on the Bliss I might miss an experience being on a new ship. Anyone have any thoughts?

NCL Bliss - new activities and new restaurants on board this cruise ship. New water slide, a racetrack, a laser tag, etc.

If you are not much into these things, then maybe go with NCL Pearl. There are a bunch of reviews on NCL Pearl but with NCL Bliss - of course there are none right now. For people in the late 60's maybe the NCL Pearl would be best for them.

Experience on a new cruise ship - well if this is the case, if possible maybe plan another cruise with NCL Bliss if you can afford to. You can purchase the cruise next certificate.

I haven't experienced ships the size of the Bliss, do they feel crowded?

Based on Escape (same class), it depends on where you are. Some parts are packed, some are empty. With a huge ship, there are always places to Escape (pun) the crowd. Even some of the sundecks are fairly empty while those by the pool are packed. Some restaurants are empty while others have a long wait.

Elevators?.....yeah, there will be a wait. Only the stairs are a way to avoid that.

I am looking at booking a cruise to Alaska next August and am torn between the Pearl and Bliss. My wife and I are in our early 30's, but aren't big into nightlife and are travelling with her parents in their late 60's. We really are more into the food experience and sightseeing. I'm a little worried the Bliss is so big that it will be crowded, but am also worried if I don't go on the Bliss I might miss an experience being on a new ship. Anyone have any thoughts?

Based on your description of your travel preferences and group, I would go with the Pearl. The Pearl has always been our favorite NCL ship. The smaller ships "feel" less crowded to us, even though it's all relative.

Yes, the Bliss will be a new ship with all those activities, but you will likely not be out on deck to use them much.

However, there is one caveat: If your budget runs to Haven suites, I might go with the Bliss, which will have the better Haven that the larger ships have, the excellent Haven restaurant, and the dedicated Haven observation lounge, which you would definitely use a lot.

Finally, no matter which ship, I would strongly suggest that you pick the itinerary which includes Glacier Bay. That is an amazing place, not to be missed.

Definitely book the Bliss. There will be something for everyone. The only drawback is that you will be gong to the Sawyer Glacier. Which is fine. We will be on the Bliss in September.

I vote for the Pearl and Glacier Bay. We loved our Alaskan cruise on her and finally, we will be sailing on her again for a Pacific Coastal next year. The Pearl never felt crowded. We sailed in a mini suite on her and enjoyed every second, never once feeling over whelmed with too many passengers and sometimes never a wait for the main dining venues. We did not have any issues with reservations for the specialty restaurants either. It is hard to tell about the Bliss as larger ships can be crowded in certain areas. The larger ships have many night time venues though if you are not interested in going to them I would not spend the money to sail on the larger ship. I agree that on the large ships if you can I would book the Haven just for an uncrowded place to enjoy the cruise especially the Haven restaurant. I think I read the Bliss will have more cabins in the Haven so I have no idea if this will make a difference to your Haven experience.

I think I read the Bliss will have more cabins in the Haven so I have no idea if this will make a difference to your Haven experience.

Bliss will have fewer suites than Escape.

Escape: 95 suites total

55 inside of the Haven

40 outside of the Haven

Bliss: 80 suites total

50 inside of the Haven

30 outside of the Haven

I'd pick the Pearl and Glacier Bay. The Bliss will have more dining options but the Pearl has some nice speciality options too. Missing out on the glacier bay day is an Alaska cruise deal breaker for me.

The Pearl has an absolutely wonderful spa (extra fee that is worth it) although the Bliss spa will undoubtedly be nicer and more expensive. The Pearl is a large ship with plenty of viewing areas indoors and on deck. The ease of getting off the ship in ports without twice the passengers onboard is also a big bonus.

Pearl will have activities such as trivia and production shows worth seeing and you can just show up take a seat no pre planning needed. Bliss will probably have a notch higher caliber of shows but many will require advance reservations. Certainly the Bliss is bigger, newer and will have more to do onboard. I'd like to try out a big new ship like the Bliss on a pacific coastal sailing where you are out at sea, don't have the same jaw dropping beauty to watch so have time to take in more of what the Bliss has to offer.

We have been on one of Royal Caribbean's mega ships and it was simply too big for our taste. My husband swore off cruises afterwards and it wasn't until we sailed on the Pearl to Alaska and glacier bay that he became a fan again. The Pearl was just right for us and is my favorite ship of any I've sailed. Not sure if the Bliss will have a full promenade deck but the Pearl has one on deck 7.

Of course it is always fun to be on a brand new ship and yes, there will be more entertainment and specialty dining rooms but Alaskan cruises are very port intensive. so I am not sure the extra features of a new ship would influence me. OP, you are right about the crowds. We have now been on 3 mega ships, 2 NCL and one Princess. for us the mid sized ships are much more fun and there is plenty to do. I would take the Pearl. We have sailed her 3 times and will again in 2 months. Of course this is just my opinion. Either one would have its pros and cons. I do notice a few people have suggested you plan to dine in the really upscale restaurants, you get a spa package, etc. This is fine if you are planing on spending so much extra money. For many the cost of the cruise is all they want to deal with, plus as I mentioned an port intensive cruise is very different from a ship that spends most of its time at sea.

Of course it is always fun to be on a brand new ship and yes, there will be more entertainment and specialty dining rooms but Alaskan cruises are very port intensive. so I am not sure the extra features of a new ship would influence me. OP, you are right about the crowds. We have now been on 3 mega ships, 2 NCL and one Princess. for us the mid sized ships are much more fun and there is plenty to do. I would take the Pearl. We have sailed her 3 times and will again in 2 months ... plus as I mentioned an port intensive cruise is very different from a ship that spends most of its time at sea.

Agreed

The Bliss Haven observation area eats a few suites (2 DOS, 4 OS) and there are fewer H9s on Bliss (6 vs 13). There are also fewer H7s on Bliss. There is no "real" H8 on Bliss. What Bliss calls a H8 is really just a H7 with a connecting balcony.

We might try the Bliss in 2019. The DH wants to do the Panama Canal Miami to Los Angeles in 2019 to celebrate his birthday. The only issue is his birthday (June) is not during "canal" time so he is thinking about it. We know we want to book a Haven for that long cruise no matter which ship we sail on.

I can't help but wonder how much use one would get out of a Vibe pass on an Alaska cruise, especially if it's raining. And I seriously doubt the race track would be running in the rain, either. Since Alaska gets a lot of rain( it poured during our cruise in August both in Juneau and Ketchikan), it's something to keep in mind when considering the Bliss. Just saying.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app