Station Pier Fire

reports of a fire at Station Pier. causes suspicious.

Everyone safe. Article says significant internal damage, but no impact on Spirit operations (Spirit sails from opposite side to majority of cruise ships).

First cruise ship due 12 October.

http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/switchboard-sparks-fire-at-melbourne-pier/news-story/00935d289aa3ea5780d0c6d64d72c7bd

reports of a fire at Station Pier. causes suspicious.

Everyone safe. Article says significant internal damage, but no impact on Spirit operations (Spirit sails from opposite side to majority of cruise ships).

First cruise ship due 12 October.

http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/switchboard-sparks-fire-at-melbourne-pier/news-story/00935d289aa3ea5780d0c6d64d72c7bd

Wow I hope all is well.

I read the link-it seems a switchboard short circuited and caused the fire. The attending fire crew/s found asbestos in the building so they would have to follow certain protocols for the removal. Possibly it would have changed their firefighting tactics-I honestly do not know, just guessing.

The Spirit referred to is the Melbourne to Tasmania ferry (embarrassingly I cannot remember whether it docks at Launceston or Devonport-and I'm an Australian!)

This cruise is my Dream 60th Birthday Present to myself, I shall be following with interest.

I read the link-it seems a switchboard short circuited and caused the fire. The attending fire crew/s found asbestos in the building so they would have to follow certain protocols for the removal. Possibly it would have changed their firefighting tactics-I honestly do not know, just guessing.

The Spirit referred to is the Melbourne to Tasmania ferry (embarrassingly I cannot remember whether it docks at Launceston or Devonport-and I'm an Australian!)

This cruise is my Dream 60th Birthday Present to myself, I shall be following with interest.

The article also says - Police will investigate a suspicious switchboard fire.

Hopefully your cruise will not be affected and that you enjoy your present immensely.

I quite like the old place. No bells and whistles, just the bare necessities. Seems to work ok and boarding is quite organised especially as the Spirit of Tas is in at the same time and traffic is like a barn dance when both are boarding or unloading at the same time.

Not sure from the TV whether the fire was in the Spirit terminal or the O'seas one next door. Couldn't tell from the pictures.

It is in a good place with the light rail/tram right at the dock. And oh crochetcruise the Spirit goes to Devonport nowadays. Used to go to Burnie then changed to Launceston and now Devonport. Nothing to be embarressed about.

Nope I love Station Pier - don't think it has changed much since I arrived in 1951!! :)

The article also says - Police will investigate a suspicious switchboard fire.

Hopefully your cruise will not be affected and that you enjoy your present immensely.

Thank You! It shouldn't be, unless there's another fire-the birthday's not unless 2022. I'm keenly watching the pricing-would prefer the Golden Princess, the Caribbean or Grand would also do, as they have the Handicapped Accessible Window Suite which is much cheaper than a Penthouse Suite!

I actually liked the historic feel of it. Interesting to see how things were for a change instead of just artificial concrete and glass with a facade.

same love the old look its historic i am sure its heritage listed too