Pacific Eden

megsie

Just looking for any fresh reviews of Pacific Eden since the latest refurbishing in Singapore.

We have planned an extended family short cruise later in the year. Some of the family are reading reviews and a bit nervous.

We've been on Pacific Aria (and Volendam - same size) and they weren't too bad at all.

Told them a lot of reviews are usually from those who haven't enjoyed their cruises and for a variety of reasons.

But hoping some of the previous problems as per reviews have been fixed.

I think you are right, people who are unhappy are more likely to go and post a review. I was on the Eden in December 2015 and at the time there was a lot of negativity around it but I thought that was a bit rich. It isn't my favourite ship because it is smaller than the others I have been on and so there seemed to be fewer activities, but that said if I saw a good deal I would go on it again any time. My partner, who would say I drag him from pillar to post doing activities, really liked it.

Thanks for that, Suzanne.

We indeed got an excellent price with the kids cruise free as well. The family were hoping for Ovation but as it's Nan's shout, Pacific Eden it is and the destination Tangalooma is always great for kids. :D

I have just spent 9 nights on Eden from Cairns to PNG round trip which is my 3rd time on this ship.

I really enjoy the ship and after the refit has had a bit of refurb in the way of new carpets in a few public areas and deck 10 staterooms and also the marquee has had a full refurb along with the Dome which look great now.

Couldn't fault the ship or staff as usual service was great and food pretty damn good. (don't forget you are not on a Cunard or RCI/Celebrity and set your expectations accordingly) We ate at the Waterfront most nights and enjoyed all bar one meal which wasn't bad, just not to my taste. Dragon Lady is awesome but be prepared to line up at 7:30am to get a table and Angelo's pretty good too. We ate breakfast in the pantry every day and the food was always fresh, hot and tasty.

To be honest I think you will find most f the negative reviews are from people who set their expectations too high, or will let one less than perfect experience drag down the whole trip and get the negative nancies on over anything.

You are on a cruise ship that is nearly 25 years old so it won't be perfect or at the same standard as Ovation OTS but it's still a nice ship.

Depending on the ages of the kids there may or may not be enough onboard activities to keep them occupied on sea days.

Thanks for taking the time to reply monolith77, good to hear of your experience.

I'm sure the family will be fine on Pacific Eden. I quite like the smaller ships (and the big ones), we're on a cruise together and I'm sure that's the main thing.

Maybe Ovation next year as an option for the family as there are quite a few special anniversaries, birthdays etc to celebrate.

We also liked Eden. We went in with realistic expectations and everything was fine. If we had wanted to pick holes in things we could have (inconsistent MDR service, no seats for trivia, bad cruise director) but none of those things were enough to spoil an otherwise very fun and relaxing cruise.

Just looking for any fresh reviews of Pacific Eden since the latest refurbishing in Singapore.

We have planned an extended family short cruise later in the year. Some of the family are reading reviews and a bit nervous.

We've been on Pacific Aria (and Volendam - same size) and they weren't too bad at all.

Told them a lot of reviews are usually from those who haven't enjoyed their cruises and for a variety of reasons.

But hoping some of the previous problems as per reviews have been fixed.

The Aria isn't the same size as the Volendam. The Pacific Aria used to be the Ryndam, a smaller vessel than the Volendam. We've been on both, and loved the Ryndam. When she was with HAL her capacity was a couple of hundred less passengers than with P&O, but I believe she still has the fabulous HAL beds, which are superb. We sailed with P&O Australia once and swore never again, but the Aria or the Eden could certainly tempt us.

Granted the Volendam is 50 feet longer and 5000 tonnage more than Aria.

But the general setup on board is very very similar, even the staterooms on Aria are the same as on Volendam - no refurbishing to most as yet.

P&O have refurbished most public rooms nicely on Aria but the olde worlde style (as on Volendam is no longer there). Only cruised on Volendam

and P&O Aria, not when it was with HAL.

I think HAL did a lovely welcome back brunch, a nice afternoon tea service and good meals. But it wasn't necessarily the cruiseship for us although it was nice and with great crew and service.

But on P&O if you watch the sales and offers mostly you won't be charged the premium prices as per HAL. And expect a mostly younger clientele.

Granted the Volendam is 50 feet longer and 5000 tonnage more than Aria.

But the general setup on board is very very similar, even the staterooms on Aria are the same as on Volendam - no refurbishing to most as yet.

P&O have refurbished most public rooms nicely on Aria but the olde worlde style (as on Volendam is no longer there). Only cruised on Volendam

and P&O Aria, not when it was with HAL.

I think HAL did a lovely welcome back brunch, a nice afternoon tea service and good meals. But it wasn't necessarily the cruiseship for us although it was nice and with great crew and service.

But on P&O if you watch the sales and offers mostly you won't be charged the premium prices as per HAL. And expect a mostly younger clientele.

We've cruised once on the Ryndam and twice on the Volendam, most recently in February. The Ryndam was quite a different vessel, with a totally different feel. For a lot of HAL regulars, she was a favourite - at least amongst those of us who could never afford the Prinsendam - and a lot of people were really sad when she was transferred over to P&O. HAL is indeed pricey, though, and we've ended up cancelling a Konigsdam cruise for May of next year and opted for a Celebrity one instead at half the price. If I had a young family I'd probably not cruise with HAL, but we don't have a problem with the age group on there, and most of the friends we've made on board (from UK, the USA, Canada and Ecuador) have averaged out to the 50s age group. As you say, the service with HAL is fantastic, the afternoon teas superb, and that welcome aboard lunch for Mariners a really nice touch. I'm certainly up for an Aria or Eden cruise - just love those blue bottoms - but a cruise two years ago on the Pacific Pearl was pretty offputting. The room was okay (I wouldn't put it higher than that), but most of the food in the dining room was pretty disgusting. Even the Salt Grill was a real disappointment. All that aside, still better than a day ashore.

Just got off the Eden after the PNG cruise. Have written a review but they usually take a few days to show on the site. Have travelled on MSC, HAL, Princess and this was my second on P&O. Don't worry, we found it a lovely ship, good staff, food ranged from ok to wonderful (Waterfront is best to eat at). Everywhere I go/stay there are negative reviews, but I think if you go in a positive frame of mind you will have a good time. Some people seem to go on holiday looking for something to complain about. Then they wonder why the staff aren't friendly :-)

Thanks Daisy4235 and everyone for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated, will show the family.

Also for what I can remember about the library on the HAL now P&O ships, the lovely cafe and library sitting area as was is now the Blue Room.

A nice space but not the same as before. There is a small area at the rear of the blue room with some comfy chairs but the shelving with a few books looked for decoration only. I did find this space a nice quiet spot during the day though on Aria.

Regarding the library, there is a book trolley in the atrium deck 6 where you can swap books. There are plenty of quiet bars for reading during the day. I forgot to mention in my review that the beds were the absolute best ever. I have never had such a comfy bed, I wish I had checked the make and model. I slept like a baby. The wine probably helped lol

We also have just returned from 9 nights aboard Pacific Eden. The first time for us on a larger ship than what we normally cruise on. The P Eden exceeded our expectations - albeit we were in the Penthouse Suite which was delightful. Embarkation & Disembarkation was a breeze - top marks to P & O for the way it was handled in Cairns. The food on board was pretty good - highly recommend Salt, Dragon Lady & Angelos. Reservations recommended. The Pantry offered food for all tastes. We did find the Waterfront a bit of a hit and miss with the food and service. Throughout the ship the service was great. The ship was presented very well, and what did stand out was, that there always seemed to be a quiet area to sit. The shows and entertainers catered for all tastes. we have no hesitation in recommending Pacific Eden.

Regarding the library, there is a book trolley in the atrium deck 6 where you can swap books. There are plenty of quiet bars for reading during the day. I forgot to mention in my review that the beds were the absolute best ever. I have never had such a comfy bed, I wish I had checked the make and model. I slept like a baby. The wine probably helped lol

A library trolley is not much but still better than nothing. As for the beds, I would rather sleep well than to ever want to sleep like a baby, wetting yourself and waking up hungry, no thanks.

Did 4 days in May from Perth (alas no more Perth short cruises - so sad) it was Mothers day on the Sunday - no chance of getting in the Dragon Lady or Waterfront :( would have taken 4 days to get a booking ;p All good though - the pantry was great. Not that we are late eaters - but there is a takeaway place on the pool deck which opens at 11.00am to early hours and the prices were reasonable and the menu pretty good - ideal for late diners and midnight snackers, as the Pantry closes at 9.00 ish. Cabins roomy, we always go inside, cheap and cheerful. It's the quick and the dead for the quiz nights on deck 8. Get there early :D

Edited by dizzy1948

I am surprised you couldn't get into the waterfront restaurant for 4 days.

We did try on the Saturday - too late - then of course it was Mothers day on Sunday - which we tried hard to get in, to no avail. We didn't try for Monday, only the Saturday and the "special day". We may have got in on the Monday, but we didn't bother as we were getting off on the Tuesday. You can book it from your cabin in the morning - which we did try Sat & Sunday. It was a 4 day'er with a special day, maybe on "normal" days you may not have to book, doesn't hurt to check though.

If we are lucky enough to get the cruises out of Freo again - we will book. We were only trying for the nights - so I may have been a bit misleading - not on purpose of course;p