question about upsells

StormySeas

this is only hypothetical but if I were offered an upsell, what should I consider before accepting? I know price is a factor but how much would be a really good deal? is location a factor for you? we've never cruised in a suite before and have not been offered an upsell to one but I have gotten a free upgrade from inside to ocean view before. Sailing in a suite would be sweet! ;p so if I am offered, what advice do you have?

this is only hypothetical but if I were offered an upsell, what should I consider before accepting? I know price is a factor but how much would be a really good deal? is location a factor for you? we've never cruised in a suite before and have not been offered an upsell to one but I have gotten a free upgrade from inside to ocean view before. Sailing in a suite would be sweet! ;p so if I am offered, what advice do you have?

We have been offered two upsells and took them.

TA called us and we had a couple hours to decide.

Both on Oasis class ships.

The first one was years ago on Allure

We booked a GS and were upselled to a CL1 for $750 (3 adults)

The next year on Oasis we were in a GS and upselled to a CL2 for $600 (3 adults)

We were not far up in the C and A loyalty levels at those times, I think platinum and emerald.

Now we are addicted to the crown lofts.

Enjoy

far too subjective.

. you have to factor in the extra perks that suites get such as the Lounge access and on those ships with one, the suite only restaurant.

plus, are you talking about going from say an OV to a full suite? the price jump is significant there so any upset would have to be pretty decent per day cost . but a jump form a Junior suite to a full suite.. I probably personally would not pay more than $100 per person for a 7 day cruise.

You're thinking too hard about this. There are thousands of passengers on the ship. The odds that you will be offered an upsell are slim - maybe 1:50, if that. Generally they start from the top down - as John mentioned they'll try to upsell suite and JS guests into higher suites first and then they'll work their way down (balcony to JS, OV to balcony, etc).

Only you can say what the upsell is worth to you. To me, I'd want at least 50% of the retail price difference (so if it is $1,000 to upgrade, I'd need it to be less than $500 for me to take the upsell).

My mom & sister took an upsell offer last month on their 3 night cruise from an interior to a balcony for $150 total. Pretty good deal, IMO.

thanks for the advice. we are booked in a balcony room on Freedom in November. I know we probably won't be offered an upsell. (we've never gotten one before) I just like to be prepared....

If you're on Liberty, as your signature suggests, Suites are sold out on that sailing, so don't hold your breath. Same for the Nov 25th FOS.

Suites seem to seem to sell out fast my Oasis Nov 2018 cruise does not list anything above JS, Liberty seem also to sell out really quick, I doubt you will have much time to decide. WE just book the GS.

I'm curious if the new deposit rules for Suites will change this.

Under the old on board booking rules, we used to book a suite and then change it to a balcony, because we'd get the max OBC and there was no penalty for "downgrading".

Sailing on Oasis in 30 days using a booking we made on board back in November 2015 - was originally a booking in a GS on Anthem that we've changed several times.

OP, just be aware that if you upgrade from a non-suite to a JS or up you will not get double points because of a discounted cabin rate. That being said I am sure mainly would gladly take a suite over a balcony at the lower rate.

The process is not as organized as I've read reported on NCL, but you can try calling C&A.

Has anyone ever had any success doing this? I am regretting not booking a full suite for our November Aos cruise but when I looked to upgrade prices had gone up so much it would have been double to go from a JS to a GS. I should have just paid the difference in the beginning. It's our first cruise so live and learn.

Has anyone ever had any success doing this? I am regretting not booking a full suite for our November Aos cruise but when I looked to upgrade prices had gone up so much it would have been double to go from a JS to a GS. I should have just paid the difference in the beginning. It's our first cruise so live and learn.

Try calling Crown & Anchor 2 weeks out and see. No harm. I haven't seen any stories of anyone being successful initiating the call to Royal.....usually it happens because Royal called them.