Radiance or Ovation

Currently booked on a 9 day Cruise on Radiance of the Seas departing 13th December 2017 visiting Tasmainia, Adelaide & Melbourne. . Original plan was to spend the week over xmas with Dearest Daughter who moved over there in January.

Now that she has returned home to Blighty, we have no reason why we can't change to the Ovation of the Seas 12 night New Zealand cruise departing 17th December 2017, which means we will be on a cruise for Xmas day.

Just looking for advice on which would be the better cruise.

I doubt if we will travel this far again so this will be a once in a lifetime opportunity to Visit Sydney & New Zealand.

DW and I love the Radiance class of ships. We haven't been on Ovation OTS yet but I'm keen to try it when the price comes down. Ovation is a newer ship and is much larger with more "bells and whistles".

It depends what you are looking for in a holiday. Personally, as much as I love cruising I'm not sure I'd fly half way around the world to spend all my time on a cruise ship (and then face a long flight home :eek:).

If you're unlikely to come back this way again, I'd be inclined to do some land based sight seeing. What do YOU want to see and experience in Australia?

Having said all of that, I think it might be nice to be on a ship for Christmas Day but be aware that you'll cruises that sail over Christmas and/or New Years Eve tend to be more pricey due to high demand. Also it's School holiday time so you can expect lots of kids onboard. Many Australian businesses close down between Christmas and New Year too.

Two other things to bear in mind:

1) You are visiting at the height of summer. Expect HOT weather. Use sun protection (hat, long sleeves, sunscreen, etc) and stay out of the midday sun.

2) Australia is a BIG country. While we only have a small population, the land mass is huge. You could easily spend all your holiday travelling from place to place so plan your itinerary wisely.

I hope this helps! :cool:

Personally, I would choose the NZ cruise.

Did the Hobart - Adelaide on Ovation earlier this year and as nice as it was, the scenery in NZ is more outstanding.

The Radiance is older but cruises very smoothly and usually has a very happy group of cruisers and crew. We found quite a few whingers on Ovation - new ship to the area and a lot making comparisons.

But I really enjoyed Ovation very much. Just make all your reservations online before you go onboard should you choose Ovation.

Currently booked on a 9 day Cruise on Radiance of the Seas departing 13th December 2017 visiting Tasmainia, Adelaide & Melbourne. . Original plan was to spend the week over xmas with Dearest Daughter who moved over there in January.

Now that she has returned home to Blighty, we have no reason why we can't change to the Ovation of the Seas 12 night New Zealand cruise departing 17th December 2017, which means we will be on a cruise for Xmas day.

Just looking for advice on which would be the better cruise.

I doubt if we will travel this far again so this will be a once in a lifetime opportunity to Visit Sydney & New Zealand.

Just a few things to be mindul about....

1 - it will be school holidays at the time of the Ovation - whilst at the time, Radiance will not be.

2 - KIDS !! Then again, we did the Ovation around NZ in early January (it's 3rd trip out of Sydney) - and we were not bombarded with kids on board. But it REALLY is a kids ship. There aren't that many daytime activities except for kids type activities.

3 - the number of people on board - whilst you may never see the same person twice on Ovation - leaving the ship can sometimes be painful.

The NZ trip that you are considering - Bay of Islands and Auckland will require tenders - Tauranga doesn't - and Dunedin's port is a long way from the town which requires transport (sadly this cruise misses out on the ports we did last year - Wellington and Picton = beautiful ports to visit). Whilst it might be summer in Australia (though it really doesn't kick off to later Jan these days,) it may be cooler in those NZ ports - so be prepared.

I've done the Voyager late last year - somewhat close to the Radiance - but whilst Ovation is a great ship, and they harp on about the 'technology' - it's what you care to do onboard that makes the difference - there are stacks of places to eat, plenty of pools, places to relax (although there are many inconsiderate whom think they can reserve spots all day long) but little else during the daytime.

You will need to 'pre-book' specific shows before boarding otherwise you may miss out.

I think it comes down to what you prefer to see and do onboard.

I like both itineraries; NZ probably slightly better, but that's also because you get and take more time with it. It's disappointing you miss Wellington and Akaroa (Christchurch) region though, which are both top destinations for cruises in NZ.

So neither is a clear winner there, which is why it comes down to onboard. For me, I love Quantum class for a number of reasons, which would win it for me. And it does have a lot more onboard than Radiance. But if many of those items don't appeal than Radiance may be preferable.

• 4 weeks later...
Price has now dropped another AUS $ 900, looks like WE may be switching.

On the Australian RCI site this cruise is now priced from:

Interior $1,819

Oceanview $2,031

Balcony $2,059

Suite $4,939

Great prices for this ship especially over Christmas.

On the Australian RCI site this cruise is now priced from:

Interior $1,819

Oceanview $2,031

Balcony $2,059

Suite $4,939

Great prices for this ship especially over Christmas.

For the Balcony room it is about $400 pp more for this cruise, but will save me 3 nights hotel costs, (approx $500). So only about $300 more for the Xmas cruise, I was going to spend that on a Xmas day dinner cruise.

I will be charged $450 for the change, but worth it in my opinion.