opinions about delta

musicmansmom

I have printouts from lowestfare, where we booked through, and also confirmation printouts from Delta complete with my skymiles # and also credit card statement showing each ticket purchased and showing each ticket number,departure date,date purchased, I am hoping that is enough proof without worrying about spending more for paper tickets.

Your proof although excellent means nothing to another carrier. A paper ticket is the only tangible instrument another carrier will except.

Chances are you will be just fine with what you have. Keep an eye on the situation. If things escalate as it gets closer to your flight you can always convert your tickets to paper. ;)

Bequia, you can bet your life that I will be watching this situation very, very closely! And if someone who has been following this thread even gets a wink of info on anything concerning Delta, would they please post the info here as soon as they can, so that those of us holding e-tickets with them can convert them to paper ASAP! By the way, how would one do that? Do you call the airline directly and have them issued? And does anyone have any other links that we might be watching as to getting info on this situation very quickly? Would so appreciate all the help here! Thanks again! Jaxson:)

The union is now discussing the possibility of getting a strike vote. Ok, so that will take a day or two. Then, if they get it, it will take time to get the votes and count them.

Here's a paste of something posted on yahoo a few hours ago about it:

"The Delta pilot union's master executive council — 13 union representatives throughout the country — is slated to meet on Thursday. Culp said the union pilot representatives may consider giving the union's chairman the ability to call for a strike ballot. It could take weeks from the launch of a ballot to a strike vote tally, said Culp."

At the very least, if Delta were to strike, I doubt it would occur in Dec or even early jan.

And we are flying in March, I am just hoping for the best at this point and trying to find out how to go about getting the paper tickets instead of my eticket. Would really appreciate it if anyone finds anything out if you would post please. Thanks

Cori

i started this post to get a general idea about delta. i never realized i would get so much helpful feedback. thanks everyone for the great help good and bad. it is great to see both sides of what others feel is going on with an issue such as this. thanks gang :)

This obviously has been a very helpful thread for those of us holding Delta tickets. Cori, I also would like to know how to convert my e-tickets to paper tickets. Do we call the airline directly? According to ALPA's website, the next important deadline will be Dec. 16th, as that would be the 30 day deadline imposed by the bankruptcy statute.If the court has not ruled by then, then management may start imposing the terms in it's request. Again, i will be watching this closely, but would still love some advice on how to change to paper tickets, and wonder, if they go on strike, would Delta advise us where to book alternate flights? Or do we just take our paper tickets to the airline that will honor them and rebook? Thanks, Jaxson:)

The general thought is this strike is just a threat and a bargaining tool. Delta pilots are still the highest paid pilots in the business. They are not stupid enough to strike as they know this would put Delta out of business and them out of a job. They would be cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Now this would be a good thing for other airlines- if the pilots had a strike-as it would put Delta out of the running-some of the airlines will have to survive-because people will still need to fly.

A few years ago another airline's pilots had a strike against the orders of the judge. You know what happened? Most of these guys were replaced and guess what -many of these guys still do not have pilot jobs. Many of them are doing things like used car salesmen or whatever they could get. I think even Delta's pilots realize $140,000 a year pays more then a used car saleman gets.

This is much ado about nothing. Yes, Delta is in trouble. But this dangerous game of chicken they are playing is just that -- when push comes to shove, there will be concessions on both sides and Delta will continue on. Those pilots aren't going to push their company out of business (After all, where would they work? There are only so many pilots needed in the world!).

Think positive, and don't let Delta's situation ruin your cruise plans.

I vote we shut down this thread -- it's just making people nervous! :)

I agree with you. I know both union and non union Delta employees. It is funny how differant jobs with Delta are union and nonunion (depending which department a person works in) and how the thinking is so different with the thinking of union employees versus non-union.I keep hearing from the union guys that Delta is trying to "union bust" that Delta is really not bankrupt etc.

I have a hard time believing that-after all Delta STILL pays their employees much better then companies like Airtran. That is the real problem guys- with the airlines-the "ecomony airlines" do not pay their employess worth a cr^&p-and the other airlines have to compete with that. Before we know all airlines wil be the no frills airlines-that will mean the end of first class flying-as that is a "frill".

Maybe some of these "economy airlines" need to be unionized.

I watch Bert Mutzabaugh's column in USA Today Travel (online) for up-to-date info. He covers the Delta situation almost daily. Wall Street Journal published this week that they will likely liquidate. I, too, hold tickets for both Feb (cruise out of Tampa) and March (international to Barcelona). AND am holding my breath. I've about decided that there's nothing I can do about it -- short of cancelling with penalty and looking for other flights and I'm not about to do that. So....joining you in the waiting game. Good luck to all of us.

I watch Bert Mutzabaugh's column in USA Today Travel (online) for up-to-date info. He covers the Delta situation almost daily. Wall Street Journal published this week that they will likely liquidate. I, too, hold tickets for both Feb (cruise out of Tampa) and March (international to Barcelona). AND am holding my breath. I've about decided that there's nothing I can do about it -- short of cancelling with penalty and looking for other flights and I'm not about to do that. So....joining you in the waiting game. Good luck to all of us.

I suppose they could liquidate-there is always that chance but they are hoping to merge with another airline that is also in trouble and the two will "boost" each other. ofcourse there will still be lay offs-so I guess either choice does not bold well for employees.

i wish all of you good luck with your delta tickets. i found a great price on northwest ( they came down ) with the times i wanted. they are who i wanted to fly with to begin with. i have miles built up with them and they leave from my airport close to home. and this trip will give me a free one way flight for my next trip.. so i am very happy

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL AND A SAFE AND FUN NEW YEAR

I don't know if this is any help, but I called Priceline customer service a few minutes ago, trying to find out if I could get paper tickets instead of e-tickets, ( I purchased them directly,I did not bid for them) And she assured me that the voucher I am holding for my flights will be honored no matter what. They are protected and I am assured a flight either way this goes, so I am going to relax and pray for the best outcome for all of us, no matter what happens! Have a Happy Holiday season!Jaxson p.s. Please post any info you might get on this matter, as I will still check on it from time to time, hopefully it will keep us all updated on the final outcome.

I have Delta Skymiles tickets Jan 6th-15th for the Golden Princess out of San Juan Jan7-14th. Just keeping my fingers crossed, as a non revenue ticket I'm not sure how much weight they will have with other carriers.

I understood at one time that Congress had passed legislation that other airlines had to accept Strike/out of business airlines tickets with a small fee. But I've not found anything in print about that in regards to frequent flyer tickets.

As long as I get to SJU and the cruise I'll worry about getting home afterward.

I took out travel insurance throught Travel Guard but they don't cover Delta, Northwest, United amoung others, for financial default.

Martini Cruiser

MomofMeg. Southwest, a low cost carrier, I think is the most unionized of all domestic airlines. I also believe that the Delta pilots are the only unionized work group at Delta. In spite of being in bankruptcy, Delta pilots are still the second highest paid pilots in the industry. In 2000 (I think) the Delta pilots threatened to strike if they were not given a contract giving them the highest pay of the airline industry. I'm not sure if Delta has been really profitable since. Sometimes, unions are the problem, not a solution. I might add that I see a 28 BILLION DOLLAR DEBT as possibly unmanageable.

I suppose they could liquidate-there is always that chance but they are hoping to merge with another airline that is also in trouble and the two will "boost" each other. ofcourse there will still be lay offs-so I guess either choice does not bold well for employees.

Not in a million years. No one wants Delta routes. Besides, merging with Delta could burden you with half of their 28 billion dollar debt.This is one fat goose that is about to be cooked.

From Forbes: (click on skip intro at the top, very annoying)

http://www.forbes.com/business/energy/feeds/ap/2005/12/09/ap2381854.html

Anyway, I am watching this whole thing very closely too. 12/16 is the day before I am supposed to fly to SJ for my cruise - next week! I am very nervous, I hope the pilots are smart enough to only use this as a bargaining tool and not actually go through with a strike.

Maybe it'll snow some more in NY and they can't get the ballots out :D .

I don't know if this is any help, but I called Priceline customer service a few minutes ago, trying to find out if I could get paper tickets instead of e-tickets, ( I purchased them directly,I did not bid for them) And she assured me that the voucher I am holding for my flights will be honored no matter what. They are protected and I am assured a flight either way this goes, so I am going to relax and pray for the best outcome for all of us, no matter what happens! Have a Happy Holiday season!Jaxson p.s. Please post any info you might get on this matter, as I will still check on it from time to time, hopefully it will keep us all updated on the final outcome.

Jaxsonbrownie: The voucher you have , is it from Delta/Song ? It isn't a paper ticket , right ? My voucher was mailed to me by Delta/Song confirming my reservation , but it isn't a paper ticket , so will that work for me , do you think ? I just wish they would make a decision , one way or another , so I can either keep my booking or try to get another booking. AAARRRRGGG.

Thanks to everyone for the information you are posting on this board. Do appreciate it.

Cori

If my trip to the Delta counter at Tulsa International yesterday means anything, I somewhat disagree that no one would want Delta routes. Lots of people flying Delta out of Tulsa...

We have travel vouchers that had to be redeemed at the ticket counter upon making reservations, and the counter was busy enough that I was there for 3 hours while the agent trying to help me was constantly interrupted. I finally made the reservation through the Delta Direct phone, then redeemed my vouchers with the agent.

We got our vouchers after a bump from Delta at Salt Lake City to Anchorage...very busy Delta terminal there, also.

Now that we have our tickets for our May cruise, we'll say a prayer and hope for the best!

MomofMeg. Southwest, a low cost carrier, I think is the most unionized of all domestic airlines. I also believe that the Delta pilots are the only unionized work group at Delta. In spite of being in bankruptcy, Delta pilots are still the second highest paid pilots in the industry. In 2000 (I think) the Delta pilots threatened to strike if they were not given a contract giving them the highest pay of the airline industry. I'm not sure if Delta has been really profitable since. Sometimes, unions are the problem, not a solution. I might add that I see a 28 BILLION DOLLAR DEBT as possibly unmanageable.

\

You believe WRONG. Mechanics are also unionized-and I am not sure of the job title but those that clean up the planes are also.

There are actually two types of Delta employees- those that work for Delta and those that work for Delta Technology-Delta Technology is actually a separate company and is not unionized.

I should know- I have friends and family both- that work in different areas of Delta. I live in the Atlanta, Ga area-a big Delta hub-and so it is a big discussion and even on the local news every night-if Delta goes out of business-it will really hurt the Atlanta Ga area- as a good percentage of people living in the Atlanta area work for Delta.

Not in a million years. No one wants Delta routes. Besides, merging with Delta could burden you with half of their 28 billion dollar debt.This is one fat goose that is about to be cooked.

Delta's biggest routes are the over seas ones-they are dropping alot of the US routes-as those are the ones that do not make money-plenty of people fly Delta to Europe.

There are 5 MAJOR airlines in trouble-some of them will survive and how- by MERGING-the only way they can keep companies like Airtran running them out of business.

Maybe Delta will not survive but some have to unless you only want to fly Southwest or Airtran.

Archived