opinions about delta

musicmansmom

to get a departure time i need, ''at a price i can afford'', i am left with delta airlines. should i choose them or plan to pay more for a flight on another airline because of their current situation. it would be for this march if that makes a difference.

thanks for any honest tips about them.

I just posted an article that updates Deltas situation. It is in the Delta Pilot Strike thread. Any future travel on Delta is questionable. Especially if the strike is deemed illegal. Which means that Delta has little or no responsibility for the passengers displaced. Good luck

I bought my tickets through Lowestfare.com's website. This is what their website says as far as a strike goes.Should I be able to count on this?

Contact Us

Airline Tickets: My Existing Reservation

What if the airline I am ticketed on goes on strike?

You have the same rights as any other passenger in the event of a work stoppage. Your airline is obligated to make alternative arrangements for you to travel at no additional cost in the event your flight is delayed or cancelled - whether you're holding paper tickets or electronic reservations.

If the airline you're ticketed on goes on strike, please call their customer service department to make alternate flight arrangements. Click here for a complete list of airline customer service numbers.

sp.gifPrivacy Policy | Advertise with Us | Customer Support | Our Company | Join our Affiliate ProgramAll material herein © 2005 Lowestfare.com Incorporated, all rights reserved.

LOWESTFARE.COM is a registered trademark of Lowestfare.com Incorporated.

(CST 2066882-50)

''at a price i can afford''
If you really mean this, and you cannot afford anything else, then you have no choice. Your question suggests that you can actually afford more, and you're just looking for the balance between cost and security. Ultimately, that's your call. How much is it worth to you not to be worrying about it every day between now and then? And how much is the fare difference between DL and a more secure airline?

I bought my tickets through Lowestfare.com's website. This is what their website says as far as a strike goes.Should I be able to count on this?

Contact Us

Airline Tickets: My Existing Reservation

What if the airline I am ticketed on goes on strike?

You have the same rights as any other passenger in the event of a work stoppage. Your airline is obligated to make alternative arrangements for you to travel at no additional cost in the event your flight is delayed or cancelled - whether you're holding paper tickets or electronic reservations.

If the airline you're ticketed on goes on strike, please call their customer service department to make alternate flight arrangements.

(CST 2066882-50)

[/color][/size][/font]

However, if the pilots strike and it is an illegal strike (meaning if they strike and the pilots contracts have been voided by the courts) Delta, according to their website, does not have to do much of anything for the passengers.

There were some confusions for a few days and of course inconveniences.

For ordinary travel, I wouldn't worry about it. For catching a cruise, may be you ought to look for alternatives and balance the cost and potential problems in case you get stuck and miss your boat (which would be a much higher price to pay.)

thanks everybody for your input. delta had the times that were best for me but the '' questionalble '' things about delta have made up my mind too not choose them. so now i will be looking into other airlines for my trip and hope i can find flight times that are good for me.

all of the honest post here helped me alot.

I have a flight with Delta in February to catch a cruise. We have a group of about 20 flying all on the same flight. My question is some of us purchased travel insurance, others did not, would the insurance help in any way? I guess I am asking this to pass along the information to the ones who did not purchase the insurance and have them get it.

Thanks, Bequia, I heard that before, right now we all have e-tickets. Can you explain to me what the benefit is of paper tickets vs. e-tickets??

If something happens, a paper ticket is all the proof that other carriers need that you did indeed have flights booked through another carrier. If an airline shuts down, typically other airlines will accommodate travelers with reservations from that airline if they have available seat. With an e-ticket, the other airlines can't check and see if that reservation is still valid because they don't have access to the other carriers system. If your airline looks like it will have problems, it is better to go ahead and get the paper tickets now (even though they might cost extra), then to try and get them when the problems start occurring. If you wait, you will be standing in line with all the other people traveling on e-tickets trying to get proof of your reservation - and there may not be anybody who can accommodate you.

Delta is $28 billion in debt. If they don't get the pay cuts from the pilots, the lenders will walk and the airline is toast. I am flying them in a few weeks, but I wouldn't book anything with them again. Even if they get the concessions, the future is not good. According to experts, they have mortgaged everything they have to stay above hot water.

This is much ado about nothing. Yes, Delta is in trouble. But this dangerous game of chicken they are playing is just that -- when push comes to shove, there will be concessions on both sides and Delta will continue on. Those pilots aren't going to push their company out of business (After all, where would they work? There are only so many pilots needed in the world!).

Think positive, and don't let Delta's situation ruin your cruise plans.

I vote we shut down this thread -- it's just making people nervous! :)

Celmed, thanks for your opinion and I sure do hope you are correct. I purchased these tickets back in April before I was aware of Delta's situation with their pilots. This is a family cruise before my nephew joins the Navy, so we are sure hoping that nothing happens to prevent us from getting to the ship. Thanks everyone, you have been extremely helpful.

like Celmed said, bottom line is, Delta isn't going anywhere, everyone was sure about the iminent demise of US Airways not too long ago, and look, they're still hanging around. Delta pilots aren't stupid, they know they'll lose their job if they strike, but its a good way of scaring the execs into giving in a little in the negotiations. Delta isn't going anywhere, at least for a while. As far as flying with Delta goes, I flew them back at the end of October PVD-CVG-JAX-ATL-PVD and had no issues whatsoever, crew was friendly on all the flights, everything was on-time (an amazing feat for ATL), only complaint I had was the lack of leg-room for someone of 6' 0", but I survived. I say go for it, if your really worried, book a refundable ticket, but it will be more expensive.

I have to agree with Celmed, This is just making me absolutely crazy worrying about it. I also booked these back before there was any indication of any problems, trying to get a great price before the prices went up with the soaring gas prices at the time.We are traveling in April, so keeping fingers crossed it all works out. I have printouts from lowestfare, where we booked through, and also confirmation printouts from Delta complete with my skymiles # and also credit card statement showing each ticket purchased and showing each ticket number,departure date,date purchased, I am hoping that is enough proof without worrying about spending more for paper tickets. But if you all think it would be better to buy the paper tickets, I guess I will, to make sure we have the proof that we need.

I have to agree with Celmed, This is just making me absolutely crazy worrying about it. I also booked these back before there was any indication of any problems, trying to get a great price before the prices went up with the soaring gas prices at the time.We are traveling in April, so keeping fingers crossed it all works out. I have printouts from lowestfare, where we booked through, and also confirmation printouts from Delta complete with my skymiles # and also credit card statement showing each ticket purchased and showing each ticket number,departure date,date purchased, I am hoping that is enough proof without worrying about spending more for paper tickets. But if you all think it would be better to buy the paper tickets, I guess I will, to make sure we have the proof that we need.

dont waste your money, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

When you look back historically at large airlines in the US that have gone out of business, they first sell off their routes and fleet and dwindle to nothing before finally closing their doors. Delta is still a giant, practically owning air travel in the south (well sorta, LCCs to Florida have a bit of advantage, but more than likely, if your going to fly anywhere within the southeastern US, it will probably be Delta. PanAm sold off its international routes to other airlines before it went out, TWA was bought out by American. Most of the time, an airline won't go out of business unless another airline can cover the gap they leave behind.

Just got back from flying Delta to Fll for a cruise and there was no problems at all. We requested an upgrade to first and received it on the flight down but not on the return.The flights were full and the service at the airport as well as onboard were great.

We also have tickets for March to LAX and we are not worried about Delta, we just booked our tickets to Venice Italy for next November as well.

If people stop flying Delta because they are worried then yes they will go under....

Just got back from flying Delta to Fll for a cruise and there was no problems at all. We requested an upgrade to first and received it on the flight down but not on the return.The flights were full and the service at the airport as well as onboard were great.

We also have tickets for March to LAX and we are not worried about Delta, we just booked our tickets to Venice Italy for next November as well.

If people stop flying Delta because they are worried then yes they will go under....

thanks alot rwdtgb. your post is very encouraging. i did not mean too sound like a worry-wart with my post but i just wanted to make sure there would be a '' delta airline '' when it came time for my trip in march. there have been so many negative things posted on the boards about them as far as the bancruptcy, pilot strike and delays/ flight changes that i got a little worried about using them. i am so glad to get so many positive replys about them. thanks again.

thanks alot rwdtgb. your post is very encouraging. i did not mean too sound like a worry-wart with my post but i just wanted to make sure there would be a '' delta airline '' when it came time for my trip in march. there have been so many negative things posted on the boards about them as far as the bancruptcy, pilot strike and delays/ flight changes that i got a little worried about using them. i am so glad to get so many positive replys about them. thanks again.

not to worry, with all the negative mis-information going around, its quite a valid question.

Archived