opinions about delta

musicmansmom

Not in a million years. No one wants Delta routes. Besides, merging with Delta could burden you with half of their 28 billion dollar debt.This is one fat goose that is about to be cooked.

Delta's biggest routes are the over seas ones-they are dropping alot of the US routes-as those are the ones that do not make money-plenty of people fly Delta to Europe.

There are 5 MAJOR airlines in trouble-some of them will survive and how- by MERGING-the only way they can keep companies like Airtran running them out of business.

Maybe Delta will not survive but some have to unless you only want to fly Southwest or Airtran.

MomofMeg. In spite of being in bankruptcy, Delta pilots are still the second highest paid pilots in the industry. In 2000 (I think) the Delta pilots threatened to strike if they were not given a contract giving them the highest pay of the airline industry. I'm not sure if Delta has been really profitable since. Sometimes, unions are the problem, not a solution. I might add that I see a 28 BILLION DOLLAR DEBT as possibly unmanageable.

You are mostly correct here. The pilots threatening to strike in spring 2001 BEFORE Sept. 11 is what hurt Delta- that is when they forced Delta to pay them $250,000 a year-great salary when pilots are only allowed to fly 20 hours a week or something like that( for safety reasons- can't have exhausted pilots) huh?

Before that even the lowest of employees were getting yearly raises and bonuses-the last time Delta employees got a cost of living raise was 2000.That means while the pilots were living in the lap of luxury and claiming they could not take a cut in pay- could not live on less the $250.000 a year -the little guys-like the poor guy that cleans the planes -and make only a small fraction of whatt the pilots made -to began with- have received no cost of living raises since 2000.

Cori, I do not have paper tickets,that is what I called for to see if I could get them.I just have voucher from priceline,where I bought them through,and also an itinerary and confirmation from Delta themselves confirming my reservation.Plus credit card statement showing each ticket bought, from who,and each ticket # .I believe after speaking to the representative,we really have nothing to worry about,we are guaranteed a flight either way.Relax,I know I am going to!

You are mostly correct here. The pilots threatening to strike in spring 2001 BEFORE Sept. 11 is what hurt Delta- that is when they forced Delta to pay them $250,000 a year-great salary when pilots are only allowed to fly 20 hours a week or something like that( for safety reasons- can't have exhausted pilots) huh?

Before that even the lowest of employees were getting yearly raises and bonuses-the last time Delta employees got a cost of living raise was 2000.That means while the pilots were living in the lap of luxury and claiming they could not take a cut in pay- could not live on less the $250.000 a year -the little guys-like the poor guy that cleans the planes -and make only a small fraction of whatt the pilots made -to began with- have received no cost of living raises since 2000.

I was just going to add-that ofcourse the pilots should make more then the little guy-after all their expertise-our LIVES depend on it-I just feel they have been unreasonable in their demands-they still at Delta are among the best paid pilots in the business-but they are not content-they want more-and because of this they- as another post said-are playing a dangerous game-as many livilihoods are effected-and not just Delta employees-like I said Atlanta is a major hub and there will be the trickle down effect-for everyone living in the Atlanta area- alot of people's livilihoods will be effected if Delta goes out of business.

Here's a paste:

" You can breathe easier if you’re flying this holiday season on Delta

Officials at the airline’s pilots union have “all but ruled out a walkout over the holiday travel season,” writes The Cincinnati Enquirer. But, the strike threat remains for next month. Union leaders authorized their chairman to call for a strike vote by the full membership, but that process could take nearly a month to complete. "The balloting process of the strike authorization makes it unlikely that a strike could be called before Christmas," says John Culp, spokesman for the airline's branch of the Air Line Pilots Association.

As for the timing of such a vote, Culp told The Atlanta Journal Constitution (free registration) that the group "will not send a ballot out as long as we feel a consensual agreement is possible." Delta is calling for $325 million in cost cuts from pilots, including a 19.5% pay cut. Pilots have resisted after already accepting $1 billion in concessions last year, and Delta has asked its bankruptcy court judge to give it permission to void the pilots’ current contract and impose new terms if a consensual agreement can’t be reached. The court faces a Dec. 16 deadline to rule on Delta’s request."

The Atlanta area would surely be effected if Delta was to fold. I don't think that is likely anytime soon since they do have bankruptcy protection, as long as the creditors are on board. My guess is that Delta will become a dominate international carrier and foresake most if not all their domestic routes. The economic impact on the Atlanta area will be short lived since other carriers will move to replace the Delta service. Certainly AirTran will increase service as well as Southwest and JetBlue. Both AirTran and JetBlue are currently accepting delivery of over 100 brand new aircraft and expanding service and also AirTran is the second largest carrier in Atlanta. Those two lines also fly the youngest fleets in the industry. The low cost carriers are not in fiancial distress and generally are profitable.

Aside from the financial problems of Delta and most other legacy airlines is the percieved level of service of the different airlines. The highest level of service for 2004 in a study contracted to the University of Nebrask by DOT ranked JetBlue, AirTran and Southwest in the top positions and in that order.

FAA ranked AirTran as best in the industry for baggage handling. Delta ranked ELEVENTH, for service, a few positions ahead of their Delta owned ComAir.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/aqr.html

Cori, I do not have paper tickets,that is what I called for to see if I could get them.I just have voucher from priceline,where I bought them through,and also an itinerary and confirmation from Delta themselves confirming my reservation.Plus credit card statement showing each ticket bought, from who,and each ticket # .I believe after speaking to the representative,we really have nothing to worry about,we are guaranteed a flight either way.Relax,I know I am going to!

Thanks

Cori

Let's face it. On the East coast, Delta will get you almost anywhere, and mostly non-stop, too. And if you book the earliest flight, there are at least 3 more the same day that will get you to your destination, so if they combine flights, you're still okay.

Look up your route and see what is available on another airline. Some of the carriers take 7-12 hours to get from say Atlanta to Ft Lauderdale, so are not useful for getting to a cruise! Air Tran is the only one with non-stop flights mentioned above. the others go to Dallas, Dulles or Chicago to get there~ One even went to NYC.

So besides knowing what other airlines' schedules to check, check alternate airports. Like if you are trying to get to ft Lauderdale, try West palm Beach or Miami and take a limo from there. Or be prepared to drive if the strike occurs right as you are ready to fly and can't fly.

The Atlanta area would surely be effected if Delta was to fold. I don't think that is likely anytime soon since they do have bankruptcy protection, as long as the creditors are on board. My guess is that Delta will become a dominate international carrier and foresake most if not all their domestic routes. The economic impact on the Atlanta area will be short lived since other carriers will move to replace the Delta service. Certainly AirTran will increase service as well as Southwest and JetBlue. Both AirTran and JetBlue are currently accepting delivery of over 100 brand new aircraft and expanding service and also AirTran is the second largest carrier in Atlanta. Those two lines also fly the youngest fleets in the industry. The low cost carriers are not in fiancial distress and generally are profitable.

Aside from the financial problems of Delta and most other legacy airlines is the percieved level of service of the different airlines. The highest level of service for 2004 in a study contracted to the University of Nebrask by DOT ranked JetBlue, AirTran and Southwest in the top positions and in that order.

FAA ranked AirTran as best in the industry for baggage handling. Delta ranked ELEVENTH, for service, a few positions ahead of their Delta owned ComAir.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/aqr.html

Well you and I do not see things the same-but I can see why-you live in North Carolina and not Atlanta. So I am more effected by things then you so my slant on things is differant form yours.

As far as Delta being 11th in service so it is not a good airline in your and other's estimate-to me that just shows again the pilots do not have a leg to stand on by threatening to strike- a strike WOULD put Delta out of business-bankruptcy protection or not- all they were doing was hurting their livilihood by threatening to strike (and guys it was only a threat).

But anyway for now as jame g has posted- it is no longer a worry-for the next few months at least-Delta will still be flying.

Delta and the pilots have reached a tentative agreement so there will be no strike. So, they are good for at least six months. Then, we'll have to see if there business plan works and hope they can keep operating.

Hi, dsclark. Thanks for the info. I read the same thing in the Wall Street Journal this morning, and I read the links on this thread posted, but where did you find the Six months , you mentioned . Only thing I see is the December ratifacation dates and March 1st and 22nd dates mentioned, am I missing something somewhere ? Perhaps I mis read it .

Cori

You haven't missed anything. Right now, Delta is losing $5 million a day. Even with the new contract with the pilots (or, actually what they are doing is tossing out the contract and replacing with their own ), Delta is still in hot water.

They do have a bankruptcy plan, but if that doesn't help them in the next six months, many feel that they will run out of cash and liquididate. If oil drops and business increases, hey, they might make it.

dsclark: OOOhhh I see, I though I had mis read the information. Our tickets aren't until end of March , so I guess I need to keep hoping all goes well. But don't you think they will cut back and consolidate some of the flights and try to eliminate some cities that arn't profitable before the six months , a bit a restructuring.

Cori

Delta has already made some cutbacks, plus they are folding Song back into Delta. I really doubt that they will cut any more. To date, they have gotten out of some leases on planes, using bankruptcy.

If they cut more flights and/or routes, they will also have to scale back elsewhere. I think they will work with what they have and try to make a go of it.

I haven't flown Delta since my trip to HI last June. Despite a red eye, going there and back was on full planes.I don't think their problem is flying empty planes; it is salaries and fuel prices.

FWIW, I flew to SoCal last month on the profitable Southwest and both legs had planes that were less than half full!

I wouldn't sweat them in March.

I am flying Song in two weeks- now I feel ready to order my bbq chicken salad!

Archived