Will Carnival follow now!

beerman2

From Carnival:

We have been closely monitoring Hurricane Irma, which is now a category 5 storm in the Caribbean. Since the safety and security of our guests and crew are our primary concern, it will be necessary to cancel the following cruises given the projected path of the storm:

Carnival Liberty – September 7

Carnival Victory – September 8

We sincerely apologize for the disruption to your vacation plans. We will automatically process a full refund, including any pre-purchased Carnival Adventures, Fun Shop purchases and beverage packages. The refund will be processed to your original form of payment within three week:

Thank you for your patience as we continue to work on our plans for our other sailings departing from Central and South Florida this weekend. We will provide another update by 1:00 PM tomorrow.

From Carnival:

We have been closely monitoring Hurricane Irma, which is now a category 5 storm in the Caribbean. Since the safety and security of our guests and crew are our primary concern, it will be necessary to cancel the following cruises given the projected path of the storm:

Carnival Liberty – September 7

Carnival Victory – September 8

We sincerely apologize for the disruption to your vacation plans. We will automatically process a full refund, including any pre-purchased Carnival Adventures, Fun Shop purchases and beverage packages. The refund will be processed to your original form of payment within three week:

Thank you for your patience as we continue to work on our plans for our other sailings departing from Central and South Florida this weekend. We will provide another update by 1:00 PM tomorrow.

Just saw your other thread, TY for posting here.

The big ? is why are they waiting so long to make a decision after last weeks problems in Texas. .... Pro-active, not reactive!

Totally different set of circumstances logistics. Harvey/Galveston affected 3 ships. Irma/PortMiami is affecting 7 ships - 3 Carnival (Victory / Glory / Vista) 2 Norwegian (Sky / Escape) 1 RCL (Enchantment) 1 MSC (Divina)

The Gov has issued a state of emergency, the Mayor of Miami is majorly concerned.

This is what they are paid to do. Show concern. They are not meteorologists and neither have a days experience running the marine operations department of a major cruise line or the logistics of the largest cruise ship port in the world.

NCL is bring a ship back in Thursday to allow passengers to get home, then taking those that don't want to disembark to stay on and go back to sea until they are allowed back into port.

They are also bringing in the Sky for a Thursday turnaround. So they will have 2 ships and 3000 passengers in port if half get off.

And you are saying Carnival should bring in the Victory, Glory and Vista on Thursday and MSC should follow NCL and bring in the Divina adding another 6000 or so if only half get off?

Now you have 9000 people disembarking. Where are you getting an adequate number of part-time weekend Customs Agents, Baggage Handlers, Stevedores, MiamiDade Police and Terminal Support people from?

You need to take a deep breath and consider that maybe there is a bigger picture.

Perhaps Carnival and MSC will pull their ships in early like NCL, or maybe they won't. Maybe they will be doing some on Thursday and some on Friday. Maybe they might opt to keep the Vista or Glory out at Sea until early next week.

The tracking and spaghetti models currently are not all in agreement with some showing a track between Cuba and the Keys and into the Gulf, some showing a direct hit on South Florida and some showing a turn north and up the east coast to the Carolinas. It's still too early to tell. Each scenario would have a different effect on operations at the Port Of Miami.

It's ultimately up to the cruise line to take responsibility for the safety of their passengers and crew and their ships. The Governor and the Mayor of Miami do not make that call.

And I highly doubt that Carnival will make any decision based on a cruise message board post from someone named Beer Man. It would not help their reputation.

Neither has Disney.

From DCL's site...

"

Tropical Weather Update

September 5, 2017 – 7:30 p.m.

Based on the projected path of Hurricane Irma, including its expected impact on the Caribbean and Bahamas, Disney Cruise Line is making the following adjustments to itineraries:

Disney Fantasy

The September 2 cruise of the Disney Fantasy is currently sailing a modified Western Caribbean itinerary and is expected to return to Port Canaveral two days earlier than planned on Thursday, September 7. Guests on this sailing will be refunded two nights of their voyage fare and provided a 25 percent discount on a future cruise, which may be booked by calling 1-855-347-2784 or 407-566-7054 from September 18, 2017, through October 18, 2017.

The September 9 sailing of the Disney Fantasy is cancelled. Refunds will automatically be processed back to the original form of payment used for the cruise booking. Guests are invited to book a future cruise at a 25 percent discount by calling us at 1-855-347-2784 or 407-566-7054 from September 18, 2017, through October 18, 2017.

While we always strive to deliver magical cruise vacations, nothing is more important to us than providing a safe experience for our guests and crew. We will continue to closely monitor Hurricane Irma and provide updates as necessary.

Disney Dream

The September 4 cruise of the Disney Dream is sailing a modified Bahamian cruise itinerary and will return to Port Canaveral one day earlier than planned on Thursday, September 7. Guests on this sailing will be refunded one night of their voyage fare and provided a 25 percent discount on a future cruise, which may be booked by calling 1-855-347-2784 or 407-566-7054 from September 18, 2017, through October 18, 2017.

The September 8 and September 11 sailings of the Disney Dream are cancelled. Refunds will automatically be processed back to the original form of payment used for the cruise booking. Guests are invited to book a future cruise at a 25 percent discount by calling us at 1-855-347-2784 or 407-566-7054 from September 18, 2017, through October 18, 2017.

While we always strive to deliver magical cruise vacations, nothing is more important to us than providing a safe experience for our guests and crew. We will continue to closely monitor Hurricane Irma and provide updates as necessary."

I was following both Carnival and RCCL leading up to and through the week. Carnival did an amazing job making timely decisions and keeping their customers well informed. The folks over on the RC board were without info and fuming mad. I would expect Carnival to handle this hurricane with the same protocol.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

Sounds like Carnival is slow man on the totem pole this week.

You need to take a deep breath and consider that maybe there is a bigger picture.

Perhaps Carnival and MSC will pull their ships in early like NCL, or maybe they won't. Maybe they will be doing some on Thursday and some on Friday. Maybe they might opt to keep the Vista or Glory out at Sea until early next week.

The tracking and spaghetti models currently are not all in agreement with some showing a track between Cuba and the Keys and into the Gulf, some showing a direct hit on South Florida and some showing a turn north and up the east coast to the Carolinas. It's still too early to tell. Each scenario would have a different effect on operations at the Port Of Miami.

It's ultimately up to the cruise line to take responsibility for the safety of their passengers and crew and their ships. The Governor and the Mayor of Miami do not make that call.

And I highly doubt that Carnival will make any decision based on a cruise message board post from someone named Beer Man. It would not help their reputation.

Deep breath No Thanks and where did I say Carnival should take advice from me? Right I didn't.

Nice try though! I commend you for that!

Sounds like Carnival is slow man on the totem pole this week.

Still four days until sat cruises and five for sun. Carnival didn't announce Harvey decisions this far out. As long as they announce the weekend decisions by 7-8am Thursday morning they are giving everyone two full day, some three on notice. There is still a good chance this misses the ports or they get little action and could easily sail one day later. Trust me they won't turn this into a bad situation as they saw all the bad with RC during Harvey.

According to bUU , they must be overacting! SMH
No, bUU has already said that civil authorities taking precautions makes sense. That's their job. Their job is also to declare when an area should be closed to non-essential travel. That's the signal to business owners to shut down and cease their operations. Responding to media- and social media-inspired panicked mob mentality isn't a sound way to run a business.

From DCL's site...
Yup I saw that update when it was finally released. Now the question is whether DCL jumped the gun on their seven night cruise. The three night cruises makes sense; Royal Caribbean and Carnival have already canceled theirs. There is no way to substitute ports with such a short cruise. But with one model showing Irma changing course and another showing Irma slowing so much that Saturday embarkations from Port Canaveral could actually be okay, DCL may have messed up a lot of people's vacations without good cause. Only time will tell, not media- and social media-inspired panicked mob mentality.

Still four days until sat cruises and five for sun. Carnival didn't announce Harvey decisions this far out. As long as they announce the weekend decisions by 7-8am Thursday morning they are giving everyone two full day, some three on notice. There is still a good chance this misses the ports or they get little action and could easily sail one day later.
Precisely.

And what about the people who have plans to fly in 2-3 days before. However many that may be.

Heck people have been worried about these cruises for a week or better.

NCL made a quick decision to allow people to cancel/ change flights.

By waiting Carnival was adding to the stress people were having. Can you picture had Carnival waited until last minute and possibly putting more people in south Fla. and the consequences.

It's nothing more than using Common Sense which is a thing of the past I guess.

It's nothing more than using Common Sense which is a thing of the past I guess.
No: That's your sense, not common sense. Common sense would dictate waiting until it is clear that the cruise ship won't be able to disembark its current passengers and embark new passengers. That is still not clear from the latest worst-case projections for when storm-force winds may reach Port Canaveral, despite all the media- and social media-driven irrationally-panicked mob mentality.

No: That's your sense, not common sense. Common sense would dictate waiting until it is clear that the cruise ship won't be able to disembark its current passengers and embark new passengers. That is still not clear from the latest worst-case projections for when storm-force winds may reach Port Canaveral, despite all the media- and social media-driven irrationally-panicked mob mentality.

This.

Yesterday the spaghetti models had Irma as far west as to be possibly going into the Gulf, this morning most have her off the east coast of FL. so had the Tampa cruises been canceled based on yesterdays projections folks on those cruises would be upset if they were cancelled for nothing. Making informed decisions is what it's all about.

As for people flying in two or three days early, I don't believe an cruise line makes a decision based on that. Travel to the port is on the customer. If you're concerned and think you shouldn't go, don't. Unless you purchased flights thru the cruise line, or travel insurance, I'm doubtful that will be reimbursed even if the cruise gets cancelled.

JMHO

Okay, I'm booked on the 09/09 Magic sailing, so I have skin in this game.

When I looked at the storm track last night before I went to bed, I was pretty convinced we'd get cancelled completely and I'll end up re-booking this. When I checked the models this morning, the conditions looked a LOT better, and now I'm quite hopeful we'll get to sail. Am I thrilled that I'll probably spend another 24 hours wondering what's going on? No. But I'd be a whole lot more upset if Carnival had made the cancellation based on information that meteorologists say is not reliable because the time line is too far out, and then conditions changed.

Cruising in September is "risky" and we know it. It's a chance we're willing to take because the prices are lower and the crowds smaller. So we buy travel insurance and we understand that things can and do happen. And we wait and see. Patiently as we can.

When I looked at the storm track last night before I went to bed, I was pretty convinced we'd get cancelled completely and I'll end up re-booking this. When I checked the models this morning, the conditions looked a LOT better, and now I'm quite hopeful we'll get to sail. Am I thrilled that I'll probably spend another 24 hours wondering what's going on? No. But I'd be a whole lot more upset if Carnival had made the cancellation based on information that meteorologists say is not reliable because the time line is too far out, and then conditions changed.

Cruising in September is "risky" and we know it. It's a chance we're willing to take because the prices are lower and the crowds smaller. So we buy travel insurance and we understand that things can and do happen. And we wait and see. Patiently as we can.

Interested in what makes you believe they will sail? I have serious skin in the game as my wedding is on that cruise and I have a bride that has been hysterical for days now. We are looking for anything positive at this point. We are still preparing as if it is going to sail but we are not optimistic

This.

Yesterday the spaghetti models had Irma as far west as to be possibly going into the Gulf, this morning most have her off the east coast of FL. so had the Tampa cruises been canceled based on yesterdays projections folks on those cruises would be upset if they were cancelled for nothing. Making informed decisions is what it's all about.

As for people flying in two or three days early, I don't believe an cruise line makes a decision based on that. Travel to the port is on the customer. If you're concerned and think you shouldn't go, don't. Unless you purchased flights thru the cruise line, or travel insurance, I'm doubtful that will be reimbursed even if the cruise gets cancelled.

JMHO

You can't base your opinion on model outliers. US models generally show Irma hitting miami directly and traveling up through the peninsula, engulfing the entire peninsula. Euro models, typically more accurate, show it brushing south florida and hitting the western part of the state hardest. Both models show outliers, that happens, but you can't see the outlier and say here here, this is the one path of the storm.

Do you really feel that warning people of a category 5 hurricane, with 185 mph winds, that has a diameter of 400 miles (and growing) is being irrational? Come on now. Regardless of where the storm makes landfall, the entire peninsula will be affected.

Interested in what makes you believe they will sail? I have serious skin in the game as my wedding is on that cruise and I have a bride that has been hysterical for days now. We are looking for anything positive at this point. We are still preparing as if it is going to sail but we are not optimistic

Oh, please don't put too much faith in my opinion! It's just that the National Hurricane Center forecast track now shows Irma slowing down and not pushing into the Straits of Florida (between Florida and Cuba) as early as previously predicted. My completely unprofessional opinion is that IF THEY CAN SAFELY GET US ABOARD and through those straits without danger to the ship, passengers, crew, and the "ground personnel" in Florida, then we should be okay. But I'm not a meteorologist, a maritime expert, or anything other than an optimistic vacationer who is hoping for the best.

I hope your wedding can proceed as planned, and that you'll have a wonderful day. And if things don't go as planned, try to focus on the marriage ahead, rather than the specific day. I know it's hard - I've been a bride and I have a daughter planning a wedding right now, too. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I sure hope you get to sail. Good luck.

Do you really feel that warning people of a category 5 hurricane, with 185 mph winds, that has a diameter of 400 miles (and growing) is being irrational?
Please read the messages to which you reply for understanding rather than just to post random emotive responses.

Let's try this again.

Common sense would dictate waiting until it is clear that the cruise ship won't be able to disembark its current passengers and embark new passengers. That is still not clear from the latest worst-case projections for when storm-force winds may reach Port Canaveral, despite all the media- and social media-driven irrationally-panicked mob mentality.

Now, do you have a response to what I actually posted?

My completely unprofessional opinion is that IF THEY CAN SAFELY GET US ABOARD and through those straits without danger to the ship, passengers, crew, and the "ground personnel" in Florida, then we should be okay. But I'm not a meteorologist, a maritime expert, or anything other than an optimistic vacationer who is hoping for the best.

I hope your wedding can proceed as planned, and that you'll have a wonderful day. And if things don't go as planned, try to focus on the marriage ahead, rather than the specific day. I know it's hard - I've been a bride and I have a daughter planning a wedding right now, too. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

As will I. And y'know who has professional meteorologists and maritime experts? The cruise line. And they're waiting and seeing rather than giving into the irrational, media- and social media-driven panicked mob mentality.

I sure hope you get to sail. Good luck.

Please read the messages to which you reply for understanding rather than just to post random emotive responses.

Let's try this again.

Now, do you have a response to what I actually posted?

As will I. And y'know who has professional meteorologists and maritime experts? The cruise line. And they're waiting and seeing rather than giving into the irrational, media- and social media-driven panicked mob mentality.

You did write, they are waiting and seeing rather than giving into the irrational, media yada yada yada, correct? I stand by what I wrote. It seems that you feel the media is making people panic. That is not the case, they are reporting the news of the historic storm. Does carnival, a company out to make money for its shareholders, need to cancel any cruises when they don't know exactly where the storm will travel (even though the entire state will probably be affected)? No, of course not. They can wait to cancel the day of if they would like. Should they make a decision before that? Of course! For the safety of their customers they should try to make a decision on sailings by thursday. Why would they want to put thousands of people in the potential path of the storm. Is it those customers decision? Of course, they could always not go. But wouldn't you have to think that the company would have peoples best interest at heart.

I stand by what I wrote.
As do I. People seem to be bewildered by why the cruise lines don't make the decisions that those people want the cruise lines to make, and bewildered by why the cruise line don't make the decisions that they make when those people want the cruise lines make those decisions. This is why.

It seems that you feel the media is making people panic. That is not the case, they are reporting the news of the historic storm.
Someone pointed out earlier that the media, in reporting the storm this morning, reported sensationalist speculation about what could happen in Florida days from now, and then reported sensationalist speculation about what could happen in Puerto Rico (where many American have family) in the days to come, and totally ignored the disaster that was happening and affecting people in the Leeward Islands at that very moment. Covering actual news rather than spewing speculation wouldn't foster high enough ratings. The media is horribly tainted by the need to draw ratings and advertising revenues, and social media is driven by the media and the same taint as well.

What's interesting is how many people denying that today have said effectively the same thing about the media in the recent past and will say it again in the not-to-distant future. That's an effect of the panic; setting aside long-held beliefs and presenting the opposite argument for the short period of time it fits with the panic that has been fostered in those people. I sure hope you aren't one of those people, and that your defense of the media, today, fits with everything you've ever said about the media in the past.

For the safety of their customers they should try to make a decision on sailings by thursday.
That's what I said. Glad you've come around to my perspective.

As do I. People seem to be bewildered by why the cruise lines don't make the decisions that those people want the cruise lines to make, and bewildered by why the cruise line don't make the decisions that they make when those people want the cruise lines make those decisions. This is why.

Someone pointed out earlier that the media, in reporting the storm this morning, reported sensationalist speculation about what could happen in Florida days from now, and then reported sensationalist speculation about what could happen in Puerto Rico (where many American have family) in the days to come, and totally ignored the disaster that was happening and affecting people in the Leeward Islands at that very moment. Covering actual news rather than spewing speculation wouldn't foster high enough ratings. The media is horribly tainted by the need to draw ratings and advertising revenues, and social media is driven by the media and the same taint as well.

What's interesting is how many people denying that today have said effectively the same thing about the media in the recent past and will say it again in the not-to-distant future. That's an effect of the panic; setting aside long-held beliefs and presenting the opposite argument for the short period of time it fits with the panic that has been fostered in those people. I sure hope you aren't one of those people, and that your defense of the media, today, fits with everything you've ever said about the media in the past.

That's what I said. Glad you've come around to my perspective.

Not sure what news you watch, but what i was watching today, they were reporting on St. Maarten and the devastation there. Of course they also were reporting on its future path through the US virgin islands and PR. It is still expected to be a Cat 5 hurricane at that time, not sure how they are sensationalizing it. News is news.

Carnival is supposed to do it's next update at 1pm EST. I'm hoping to hear about the Vista scheduled for 9/9. It appears MSC just canceled their Divina sailing that was set for 9/9 out of Miami. I just can't see Carnival expecting guest to travel into an active hurricane zone to catch a ship. If some want to take the cruise fine, but offer customers who don't another option.

Interesting post on the Carnival Travel Alert page. Early this morning, the announcement of the two cancelled sailings was there, with a "wait and see" about the Saturday itineraries - that was dated last night at 5:00 p.m. Then I saw a different announcement, containing essentially saying the same thing with the addition that there would be a new update "by 1:00 p.m. tomorrow". Since I saw that later this morning, I assumed it was written/posted this morning, and there would not be another update until Thursday. Now that I look at that posting again (based on mstlovee's post), it has today's date on it. Does that mean we'll get another update in a few hours, or does it mean someone needs to check the calendar when they edit messages?

Interesting post on the Carnival Travel Alert page. Early this morning, the announcement of the two cancelled sailings was there, with a "wait and see" about the Saturday itineraries - that was dated last night at 5:00 p.m. Then I saw a different announcement, containing essentially saying the same thing with the addition that there would be a new update "by 1:00 p.m. tomorrow". Since I saw that later this morning, I assumed it was written/posted this morning, and there would not be another update until Thursday. Now that I look at that posting again (based on mstlovee's post), it has today's date on it. Does that mean we'll get another update in a few hours, or does it mean someone needs to check the calendar when they edit messages?

John said they would update by 1pm today.