Renting a jeep ??

Papakogal

Need some help here will be taking our first cruise in Oct . on the breeze ... Were wanting to rent a jeep of some sort to explore cozumel on our own ?

1 is it safe

2 what car rental company to use?

3 how much is it ?

Any info would be great for any of you that had rented before ...

Thanks

Sent from my LGL83BL using Forums mobile app

People will tell you not to rent a vehicle because being a tourist in an accident has horror stories. That being said we rent a car every year and have no issues. We feel very safe in Cozumel walking around or renting a car. Also make sure you get the insurance. Jeep's have the drive line that works the 4wd removed so you can't take it off road. We rent from Isis but I'm not sure the have Jeep's. There is a Hertz rental there

I wouldn't rent a jeep for the day when on a cruise. Too many things can go wrong, like a flat tire or hitting a pothole and you are liable for damages and also may not make it back to ship on time. It is just too risky to ruin your trip. Also, there are some shady rental car agencies on the island who have been know to claim damages to vehicle when it was turned back in. I just hate to see that happen to anyone.

If you want to do a tour of the island, either book an excursion, OR pay a taxi driver to take you for an island tour. Prices are very reasonable.

robin

I wouldn't rent a jeep for the day when on a cruise. Too many things can go wrong, like a flat tire or hitting a pothole and you are liable for damages and also may not make it back to ship on time. It is just too risky to ruin your trip. Also, there are some shady rental car agencies on the island who have been know to claim damages to vehicle when it was turned back in. I just hate to see that happen to anyone.

If you want to do a tour of the island, either book an excursion, OR pay a taxi driver to take you for an island tour. Prices are very reasonable.

robin

Thank you so much I will definitely keep that in mind ... I think we're going with the taxi way , just to be safe thanks again

Sent from my LGL83BL using Forums mobile app

Second the idea of a taxi, or if you decide to drive yourself, be sure to do lots of research of pros and cons and have access to plenty of cash in case of an accident. Not worth the hassle to us either, especially on a cruise ship day where time is of the essence and you want to catch the ship at the end of the day.

Another good way to see the island, if you are all adults, is the Bar Hop. Lots of good reviews on this board, just use the search engine.

I think a good option is doing a jeep tour. We have been several times in Cozumel but we wanted something different. We booked through shore excursioneer https://www.shoreexcursioneer.com/cozumel/combo-catamaran-sail-snorkel-private-jeep.html and this is one of the best excursions ever! The meeting point was super easy to find and our guide was just amazing. We did first the catamaran portion, the snorkel was incredible, we were lucky to see a lot of fish and even a spotted eagle ray!! Then we went for our jeeps! We enjoyed a beautiful day and the tour was customized around how we wanted to spend the day. We see some places we haven't and learned a little bit more about the island.