Adverse currents affect Sunshine docking Sept 9 ?

Here4Beer

Just got this email. I have never heard of such a situation. Leaving from New York. Anyone know what is happening?

CARNIVAL SUNSHINE

SEPTEMBER 9, 2017

September 6, 2017

Dear Guests,

We have an important update regarding our embarkation plans for Saturday. Due to adverse currents that would make earlier docking unsafe, Carnival Sunshine will be alongside in New York later than our scheduled time.

Since we will be busy saying good-bye to our guests on the previous cruise, we kindly ask that you add two hours to your pre-selected Arrival Appointment and plan to arrive at the terminal no earlier than the new time. Guests who arrive outside of their Arrival Appointment can expect longer wait times in line.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding. Most importantly, we can't wait to welcome you aboard!

Sincerely,

Denese+Waiters+Signature.jpg

Denese Waiters

Sr. Director, Guest services

Adverse currents made it impossible for us to dock in St Marteen in August one year. Cause: hurricane 400 miles out to sea. The captain tried to come along side multiple times but they could never secure the ship. Ended up with a sea day (and a stop at Grand Turk on the way back).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You have a full moon on the 7th, along with the closeness of the Autumn equinox, the 22nd, you have significantly higher tides, and hence higher tidal currents in the East River than in just a couple of weeks earlier or later. Also, on the week in question, the maximum ebb tide is at 0317, running at 5 knots, just when the ship would be transiting through NY harbor. Not surprising that they are delaying arrival for a couple of hours, to allow this neap tide to abate somewhat.

We are on the Sunshine out of NYC on the 9th also. We got this notification as well. We sail out of NYC often and I'm always up at the crack of dawn to experience that early morning entrance into the harbor. There are some wicked currents in the Hudson and as chengkp75 pointed out some combinations of circumstances can make them worse.

We came in from a Caribbean cruise in 2013 and the tugs were churning up the water something fierce trying to keep the Splendor from hitting the pier. The seagulls were quite happy with all the fish that were stirred up!

Many a ship has hit those piers - which have been there for ages. The insides have been renovated and accommodations were made for the Breakaway, but the piers are in the same place as they were when ships were a lot smaller.

These are some pics I took on that cruise of the effort on the part of the tugs and the ship's engines to keep from hitting the pier. It was a close call

623687666b68bacd2432b227ad6025fa.jpg

7d38df20cfabf773ea4d9c5855e16f22.jpg

73c01f0ad3ceef3e9d7da387f20677bc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You have a full moon on the 7th, along with the closeness of the Autumn equinox, the 22nd, you have significantly higher tides, and hence higher tidal currents in the East River than in just a couple of weeks earlier or later. Also, on the week in question, the maximum ebb tide is at 0317, running at 5 knots, just when the ship would be transiting through NY harbor. Not surprising that they are delaying arrival for a couple of hours, to allow this neap tide to abate somewhat.

I know the Hudson has some wicked currents so I wasn't surprised when we got the alert. The ship is coming back from Canada so I knew it wasn't directly related to the hurricanes. I figured some combination of Moon phase and tides were the reason. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So are you saying it's not hurricane related at all?

We are going on Sunday, and we have done this cruise for the past 5 years (maybe longer). This is the first time we are "leaving late".

So are you saying it's not hurricane related at all?

We are going on Sunday, and we have done this cruise for the past 5 years (maybe longer). This is the first time we are "leaving late".

Considering that on Sunday, Irma is predicted to be off the Keys, almost 1500 miles from NYC, no, I don't think this has anything to do with the hurricane. The tides and currents are predicted months in advance based on the phase of the moon and the earth's orbit. I just happens that the tides, which happen twice a day, but vary the times of high and low tides a few minutes each day, have aligned with the projected arrival time of the ship, along with the mentioned celestial events.