Eastern Caribbean cruises switched to Western - Escape

sid_9169

Hurricane Irma

Update #5

September 9, 2017 12:30 PM

Norwegian Cruise Line is continuing to closely watch the forecasted path of major Hurricane Irma and respond as necessary to ensure the safety of our guests and crew. We have cancelled this week’s scheduled sailings aboard our two ships that depart from Miami, Norwegian Sky and Norwegian Escape and both ships are currently navigating a safe course around the path of Hurricane Irma. Norwegian Escape is sailing at full capacity with approximately 4,000 displaced guests from both ships that were unable to secure flights back home. The ship is currently alongside in Cozumel, Mexico and will remain there until 7 a.m. Sunday, September 10. Guests who have secured flights home may disembark the ship in Mexico if they wish. Due to the devastation in the Caribbean caused by Hurricane Irma, all of Norwegian Escape’s upcoming Eastern Caribbean sailings will be altered to a Western Caribbean itinerary until November. All guests scheduled to sail on any affected cruises will be notified of the change.

Acting as a responsible corporate citizen and supporting the destinations that our ships operate in is a core value of Norwegian Cruise Line. In the wake of this devastating storm, we will be deploying Norwegian Sky from her current position off the coast of Cancun to St. Thomas, USVI to retrieve approximately 2,000 travelers who were unable to evacuate the island prior to the storm. The ship is departing immediately and will arrive in St. Thomas in the late evening hours on Monday, September 11. Norwegian Cruise Line is working closely with the Florida-Caribbean Cruise Association and the Governor of St. Thomas to execute this rescue mission. When all designated vacation guests have boarded the ship, Norwegian Sky will sail back to her homeport of Miami and is expected to arrive on Thursday, September 14.

[Just to preface, whatever Norwegian plans to do with my vacation I'll be happy, I know the main issue right now is the safety of those who are suffering from Irma's destruction)

My cruise begins November 25th and I'm wondering how I should read Norwegian's update?

Either:

"Until November" [meaning starting in November] cruises will go back to the Eastern Caribbean

OR

"Until November" [meaning until November is over] cruises originally routed to the Eastern Caribbean will instead to the Western Caribbean.

I'm also curious that if we do end up getting rerouted to the Western Caribbean, will our port still be the same? We were supposed to start our journey from Miami. Either way we will be fine and I'm so glad to read of the nice things Norwegian is doing for the people suffering from Irma.

[Just to preface, whatever Norwegian plans to do with my vacation I'll be happy, I know the main issue right now is the safety of those who are suffering from Irma's destruction)

My cruise begins November 25th and I'm wondering how I should read Norwegian's update?

Either:

"Until November" [meaning starting in November] cruises will go back to the Eastern Caribbean

OR

"Until November" [meaning until November is over] cruises originally routed to the Eastern Caribbean will instead to the Western Caribbean.

I'm also curious that if we do end up getting rerouted to the Western Caribbean, will our port still be the same? We were supposed to start our journey from Miami. Either way we will be fine and I'm so glad to read of the nice things Norwegian is doing for the people suffering from Irma.

I think I would read it this way:

NCL is not doing any Eastern Caribbean cruises at least until sometime in November. As soon as things become clearer they will make additional decisions.

Truthfully I do not expect any cruise line to do any Eastern Caribbean cruises at least until next summer. Totrtola has been destroyed. St. Thomas is almost as bad and St. Maarten is totally devastated. San Juan was not hit as bad, but why would you want to do a one port cruise.

We have a B2B in mid October.....the first one is the Western Caribbean and the next was supposed to be the Eastern Caribbean....just wondering what you all think will be the policy of NCL if we decide to cancel the Eastern portion? As we have done the Western one so many times....and were really looking forward to the "second" cruise.

And before you SLAM me....I am of course more interested in the people suffering so.....have relatives that are still reeling from Harvey.....just wondered what our options might be since we really are not into doing the same Western itinerary twice in two weeks.

We have a B2B in mid October.....the first one is the Western Caribbean and the next was supposed to be the Eastern Caribbean....just wondering what you all think will be the policy of NCL if we decide to cancel the Eastern portion? As we have done the Western one so many times....and were really looking forward to the "second" cruise.

And before you SLAM me....I am of course more interested in the people suffering so.....have relatives that are still reeling from Harvey.....just wondered what our options might be since we really are not into doing the same Western itinerary twice in two weeks.

I expect them to enforce the normal penalties. You will end up doing two western cruises.

It's great Norwegian has made definite decisions regarding future sailings and that they are sending the Sky to rescue people. I does show great concern and class. We were scheduled for an Eastern in October with NCL and just happy to be able to cruise anywhere. Too bad that Carnival can't make decisions and still has persons wondering what to do in such an emergency. We have been Carnival cruisers for years and so disappointed with how they have handled things. NCL has been very pro-active.

We love ports both Eastern and Western. Just so sad to think of our favorite islands and how long it might take for them to recover. There are some wonderful people there and they depend on our tourism to make a living.

Tortola has been a favorite with us since our first cruise there over 20 years ago on a Windjammer 'Barefoot' cruise. We were so happy when NCL added this beautiful island to their itineraries. Now just praying they can recover.