John Heald statement about what Carnival is doing to help

bunchesofun

I think Carnival's approach, making last minute decisions regarding Irma, has negatively impacted their ability to provide support. Royal Caribbean was much quicker to make decisions before Irma, and because they chose to cancel cruises earlier, they were much better positioned and prepared to assist storm-related efforts. RCCL has already been picking up people stranded on islands heavily damaged and taking them to safe places where they can safely get on with their lives. RCCL stressed these were their own decisions and that they are not part of government efforts. While Carnival delayed decisions, RCCL was already busy using their ships to evacuate their Miami-based staff and their families to safety, and then picking up people stranded on the islands and taking them to places where they could escape the devastation.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article172281352.html

RCI was still smarting from the bad optics of their handling of hurricane Harvey in Texas a couple of weeks ago. I think they had to get out in front of this storm to salvage some dignity. I think they did well. Carnival handled Harvey pretty well in comparison, but it didn't work so well with Irma. Different storms, different outcomes. Not everyone can be the hero everytime. When the entire population of a state is leaving for higher ground, it's just ludicrous to expect 20,000 people to make their way into the jaws of the apocalypse to board a damn ship. Keeping their customers hopeful but totally in the dark for as long as they did is unconscionable. Even if Carnival could pull it off logistically, it's devoid of good sense and I expect it will cost them goodwill for some time.

RCI was still smarting from the bad optics of their handling of hurricane Harvey in Texas a couple of weeks ago. I think they had to get out in front of this storm to salvage some dignity. I think they did well. Carnival handled Harvey pretty well in comparison, but it didn't work so well with Irma. Different storms, different outcomes. Not everyone can be the hero everytime. When the entire population of a state is leaving for higher ground, it's just ludicrous to expect 20,000 people to make their way into the jaws of the apocalypse to board a damn ship. Keeping their customers hopeful but totally in the dark for as long as they did is unconscionable. Even if Carnival could pull it off logistically, it's devoid of good sense and I expect it will cost them goodwill for some time.

I am sure it is a juggling act at best for all of the cruise lines. Much easier to cherry pick the decisions after the fact. Without knowing all of the specifics (for any of them) it makes looking at those decisions (let me see, how was it phrased to me)......looking at it through rose colored glasses).

Their biggest challenge (Carnival to the greatest degree) will be where to send the ships depending on the damage they received and if they cant go there, then to where?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This!

We've only been a member of these forums for a short time but I am constantly astounded by the negativity of some. Why do some of you have to make this a competition between cruise lines and whose opinions are the right ones? Isn't it enough to say that we are glad that CCL, RCCL and NCL are doing something to help, as we all should if we are able?

nit pickers are going to nit pick. I'm glad all the lines are pitching in, everyone has a vested interest in those islands and the more help they get the better for the lines/residents/economy/cruisers.

Once again Carnival is late to the game with this reactionary response. After about 10 ,000 people posted that they were upset that Carnival dropped the ball and handle cancellations poorly.... and now that the competition had been all over the news doing this humanitarian work... Then another 10,000 people started posting that they were going to NCL and RCL because they are were also good corporate citizens... NOW and ONLY now... AFTER the fact they ere trying to act like leaders? LOL thats not how it works, You cannot be a leader when you are just a 2nd rate follower. They dropped one too many balls and lost many thousands of loyal customers. Too late Carnival. Live and learn... better sell your stock

Once again Carnival is late to the game with this reactionary response. After about 10 ,000 people posted that they were upset that Carnival dropped the ball and handle cancellations poorly.... and now that the competition had been all over the news doing this humanitarian work... Then another 10,000 people started posting that they were going to NCL and RCL because they are were also good corporate citizens... NOW and ONLY now... AFTER the fact they ere trying to act like leaders? LOL thats not how it works, You cannot be a leader when you are just a 2nd rate follower. They dropped one too many balls and lost many thousands of loyal customers. Too late Carnival. Live and learn... better sell your stock

Yeah, they are send going under, you scooped it. This is comedy hour right?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yeah, they are send going under, you scooped it. This is comedy hour right?

amateur hour auditions.

i can see it now, sell, sell, sell all your CCL stock being yelled on Wall Street.

hacktivists; give em a keyboard, internet and computer and they rule the world in their underwear in some basement apartment.

It was a bad look for Carnival. Not unlike how RCI looked during Harvey. They're taking turns being the putz. One of these days they'll both get it right together. LOL

As I mentioned it is a dynamic situation requiring decisions that can easily be second guessed. Despite words to the contrary by the op, they have nothing to be ashamed of. At the end of the day, they are much more often industry leaders in treatment of clients in harsh times.

It also doesn't make sense to overwhelm the island with support ships. We don't know what the infrastructure looks like, but we do know there was severe damage. It does not make sense for every line to send a ship - the island likely could not support the help provided. I also imagine there is some coordinating going on behind the scenes as well.

What matters is a long, sustained effort by all the lines. St. Maarten is going to need help for a long time. They were about to enter their peak season, and with the destruction, will likely miss out in millions in tourism revenue.

I'm hoping to find a sailing to get back to SXM as soon as I can, or possible even schedule a land vacation there. I want to help put money back in to the economy. Even when they aren't at 100%. As a Tennessean who has watched Gatlinburg take a hit this year because it was perceived that they weren't ready (they absolutely are!), I know how important it is to get the money flowing again.