Next cruise? Give me some direction please!

Nanarrow

Our next cruise is in April '18. We are empty nesters, but not retired. We want to cruise again somewhere betweeen the dates of Oct18-Feb19. We are torn between New England, the Caribbean, Bermuda, etc.

Everyone here seems so knowledgeable...Give me some input on your favorite cruise itinerary, ship... what did you like about it? Why this ship? Etc.

I am daily reading reviews, but I really need someone to sway (sell) me!

New England and the Caribbean (Bermuda isn't "Caribbean, you know)...are 2 totally different "feels". Not even sure there ARE NE cruises past late October or Nov.....

What sort of things do you like? Like I said...2 different animals here....

Are you fans of winter? Or summer? Do you like being "on the go" or having time to relax.....honestly...we need more info!

New England and the Caribbean (Bermuda isn't "Caribbean, you know)...are 2 totally different "feels". Not even sure there ARE NE cruises past late October or Nov.....

What sort of things do you like? Like I said...2 different animals here....

We are also flexible on dates...but thought those were a good range. I have been to all of the areas I've mentioned. The only place we are not interested in is the Bahamas- as I grew up on the east coast of Florida and went to the Bahamas so often?

I haven't been to Bermuda since I was in my later teens.

We are very low key. We aren't overly social, and prefer to spend our time together. We like good food! Exploring different areas- but nothing adventurous.

We are really open to any suggestions! And thank you!

Never been to Bermuda, but all our friends who have love it. Seems NE might be to cool that time of year, but that's just my thoughts (never done it). Personally, I like the deep southern Caribbean.

We are about in your same boat (no pun, OK maybe a little) and just enjoy the down time and time together. The last couple of cruises we haven't even gotten off the ship, so we make the ship the destination. Last three trips have been Carnival Magic, Oasis and Allure with another Oasis next month. Magic we never got off the ship, Oasis got off at Labadee, and Allure never got off the ship.

I am going to share with you my favourite ships / itineraries.

Favourite ship class for me is Oasis (Harmony, Allure, Oasis etc.) They seem to do the Caribbean itineraries, as it is about the ship I don't care too much about which islands they stop at but do like Labadee.

Not on your list but if I was to pick an itinerary for its port stops then it would have to be a Med cruise with embarkation at Barcelona, Venice or Rome. Barcelona is most convenient for a pre-cruise stay, lots to do and easy to get to port and airport. With these itineraries I tend to pick the itinerary and not the ship. October Med cruise is fine IMO.

Symphony is sailing from Barcelona next year but I tend to be cautious about sailing on a new ship.

This one is easy. The direction for your next cruise is, TO SEA.

The best cruise is the one you are ON.

To me, the ship, itinerary, etc are minor points. I am on the ship, relaxing, enjoying whatever, and not sweating what is not or might have been.

If you haven't been to the destinations, you will find something to interest you. Even if it is just walking around looking. If you haven't been on that ship (or class) before, you will have fun finding out what there is and where it is.

And on any cruise, you will find the obnoxious idiots, and will likely find some people you like and want to spend time with.

To me, it is the cruise, not the minor details.

Cruising preferences are so individual that I think just doing a lot of reading on this board is the best way to learn what would suit you. We are like a previous poster who said they don't get off the ship. We don't like the Caribbean islands, find them all pretty much alike and aren't interested in the stuff they sell. Others love the beaches and hot weather. We liked Alaska and (briefly) enjoyed the ports on the way to Quebec; after a bit, they were remarkably similar. We do enjoy the Med., and we go to the ports and avidly sightsee. When we book a Caribbean cruise, we are just going for the ship experience--We like Oasis class, Freedom class and Radiance class...but we're happy on any of them. In general, we think cruising doesn't really count for experiencing an area--for example, I've definitely toured the Acropolis (all day and very thoroughly), but I don't feel like I've been to Greece because the Acropolis is all I've ever seen of it.

Read, decide what your style is, and make a decision on what suits you best.

Are there even Bermuda or New England cruises after October? Just do a Caribbean cruise. Bermuda gets too cold. I would find a Caribbean port you really want to go to and locate a cruise ship that will take you there at the best price.

Edited by Host Clarea

Are there even Bermuda or New England cruises after October? Just do a Caribbean cruise. Bermuda gets too cold. I would find a Caribbean port you really want to go to and locate a cruise ship that will take you there at the best price.

Bermuda cruises usually stop in October and start back up in April.

Our next cruise is in April '18. We are empty nesters, but not retired. We want to cruise again somewhere betweeen the dates of Oct18-Feb19. We are torn between New England, the Caribbean, Bermuda, etc.

Everyone here seems so knowledgeable...Give me some input on your favorite cruise itinerary, ship... what did you like about it? Why this ship? Etc.

NE is pretty, but I would be concerned about Nor'easters during that time. I think you may also miss the peak leaf change by Oct. I'd save that for more of an Aug/Sept time if you could. Whenever you go, Acadia NP is amazing! you'll love it :-)

Early October New England cruises are amazing. The leaves are turning and it's beautiful. Choose an itinerary that has Quebec City. That's the #1 fan favorite for that area. Since you are empty nesters I'm thinking Celebrity and Princess would be really good options. Holland America is great too but definitely an older crowd.

If you choose the Caribbean, Celebrity Equinox is my fave ship for there. A southern itinerary is also my fave.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Forums mobile app