HAL and hurricane Irma

Kate45

Here's the text from Holland America's Facebook page from about an hour ago that specifically deals with HMC:

Hurricane Irma update 9/13/2017: All of us at Holland America Line are holding those close in our thoughts who have been impacted by the recent storms. As rebuilding efforts begin, we are assessing the best way to provide on-going support. Our parent company, Carnival Corporation, has already begun outreach and support for those islands impacted on behalf of the family of cruise lines. They have been in communication with officials in many of the Caribbean islands and have activated a plan to deliver supplies on both an immediate and sustained, longer-term basis. These deliveries will be worked into ships’ cruise itineraries as part of ongoing operations. We stand ready to provide support to affected ports and communities.

Holland America Line’s Caribbean cruise season begins in mid-October and we look forward to continuing to provide the great cruise experience our guests expect and the economic support that the region relies on, now more than ever. Only a few ports visited on Holland America Line itineraries this coming season were impacted by Hurricane Irma. Our private island, Half Moon Cay, was not damaged and is fully operational. No cruises will be cancelled and should any port substitutions need to be made in the future, booked guests and their travel agents will be notified.

We sincerely encourage booked guests and anyone considering a Caribbean cruise to move forward with their plans. There is no better show of support for the area and the people than to continue to visit.

My November Koningsdam cruise has HMC, St. Maarten and St. Thomas on the itinerary. Same here. No word yet on an itinerary change. I'm optimistic about HMC, but not so much on the other 2. Fortunately, the rest of the cruise is south.

Likewise with our Oosterdam cruise in November. We have San Juan, St Thomas, HMC and Amber Cove. I suspect Amber Cover and HMC will be fine as will San Juan. That leaves St Thomas which almost certainly will have to be swapped out. Maybe they'll slide in a new stop in place of St Thomas - St Croix maybe?

I can understand people being concerned about disruptions in their plans to some extent, but it would be wonderful if some of the cruises could take help to those islands that need it so badly. That help could be in many forms. I cannot imagine what it must be like for those who have lost everything. And here we are concerned about disruptions.

The cruiselines are helping. See the post from LordSpain. I've also read news articles about ships delivery supplies and picking up evacuees.

And we are concerned about the locals, which is why I hope the tourism resumes as quickly as possible.

I wouldn't mind either St Croix or San Juan as a substitute for St Thomas, if a substitution needs to be made. I had thought about going over to St John, as I haven't been there for over 10 years. That won't be happening this time.

Again, we'll just have to wait and see how things are in a couple of months.

Yes, they need tourism money but they may be actually too busy rebuilding than to welcome tourists. Unless the cruise passengers are going to go all Habitat for Humanity while in port.

If the port is that devastated, I suspect that it will be temporarily bypassed. If the port is not that devastated and can accommodate tourists, I suspect that the resident shop owners would welcome the tourists and their money with open arms so that they can afford to rebuild.

If the port is that devastated, I suspect that it will be temporarily bypassed. If the port is not that devastated and can accommodate tourists, I suspect that the resident shop owners would welcome the tourists and their money with open arms so that they can afford to rebuild.

Exactly. I know there are presently cruise lines doing what they can. People are usually wonderful in a crisis. Just know that even from afar we can all help, and especially if we can keep cruising the Caribbean .

Not specifically pertaining to HAL ,but Irma related.

My church 's denomination has 2 congregations on StJohn and 3 on St Thomas.

We received notification today that both churches on St John were severely damaged. One had the roof torn off and the other one had the sanctuary and personage destroyed.

We have not heard anything about St Thomas yet.

I ask for positive thoughts and prayers for these people .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Likewise with our Oosterdam cruise in November. We have San Juan, St Thomas, HMC and Amber Cove. I suspect Amber Cover and HMC will be fine as will San Juan. That leaves St Thomas which almost certainly will have to be swapped out. Maybe they'll slide in a new stop in place of St Thomas - St Croix maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm guessing St. Croix might substitute for St. That's and St. Kitt's for St. Maarten??? Even St. Vincent?

Stupid auto-correct! St. Thomas (not St. That's)

... We received notification today that both churches on St John were severely damaged. One had the roof torn off and the other one had the sanctuary and personage destroyed. We have not heard anything about St Thomas yet. I ask for positive thoughts and prayers for these people .

... to which I would add: Please send financial contributions to reputable charitable groups, churches and relief organizations who are providing aid and assistance to the affected islands.

We sail for two weeks in December on an itinerary which includes Tortola and St. Maartin. I hope we can make both of those ports. The people in the tourist industry there will need the business.

They have an incredible amount of very expensive rebuilding to do. Tourist dollars will help.

We sail for two weeks in December on an itinerary which includes Tortola and St. Maartin. I hope we can make both of those ports. The people in the tourist industry there will need the business.

They have an incredible amount of very expensive rebuilding to do. Tourist dollars will help.

Not looking good:

From USA Today (09/15/2017)

"Cruise lines haven't talked much in the past few days about how long they might have to divert ships from the affected islands. For now, they're focused on relief efforts. But in a research note sent to investors on Monday, Instinet analyst Harry Curtis estimated it could take "several quarters or more" to repair infrastructure on St. Martin and St. Thomas, suggesting it could be an extended period before ships return". One of the other Islands severely damaged was Tortola

And now they have another problem about to arrive:

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2017/tropical-storm-maria

bosco

Meet the Press's Chuck Todd today was televised in St. Thomas and St. Johns, showing the utter devastation of both islands. it was reported that St. Thomas can't even predict at this time when power will be restored. As Bosco noted: It doesn't look good! Not to mention the latest storms heading in that direction.