Cancelling a passenger

BenLiteral

Hello, all. I just recently posted a thread regarding whether or not a "no show" was a good idea for a non-paying travel companion. I'm back with a follow up question for you expert cruisers out there. Again, forgive me if this has been asked a million times before. I just want information that is current and relevant.

Just to rehash, I booked a cruise with a friend of mine who, as of now, has not put a dime towards it, in spite of the fact that I asked him to go with me in May. I have no problem with just paying the whole thing and going alone. However, as one member pointed out, since he's on the reservation and would therefore know if it's been paid off, he could just show up unannounced and get a free vacation off of me. I've asked other people to go in his place with no luck.

So, if I just have him taken off the reservation, what fees will be tossed at me? I've got no problem paying his part, but what else will Carnival charge me for? Oy. I will certainly be traveling solo from now on.

Hello, all. I just recently posted a thread regarding whether or not a "no show" was a good idea for a non-paying travel companion. I'm back with a follow up question for you expert cruisers out there. Again, forgive me if this has been asked a million times before. I just want information that is current and relevant.

Just to rehash, I booked a cruise with a friend of mine who, as of now, has not put a dime towards it, in spite of the fact that I asked him to go with me in May. I have no problem with just paying the whole thing and going alone. However, as one member pointed out, since he's on the reservation and would therefore know if it's been paid off, he could just show up unannounced and get a free vacation off of me. I've asked other people to go in his place with no luck.

So, if I just have him taken off the reservation, what fees will be tossed at me? I've got no problem paying his part, but what else will Carnival charge me for? Oy. I will certainly be traveling solo from now on.

The fees will depend on the fare type you booked. If you booked Early Saver, you will loose $50 of his deposit, the remainder being held as a future cruise credit. You will then have to pay the single supplement, which is equal to the 2nd passenger fare. You will not have to pay a second port fees or gratuities, though.

Whether you get to keep that FCC or it goes to him, really depends on who you speak with at Carnival. If you explain that you paid it and you want it to be in your name, then normally you would get it. Otherwise, it would be in your cancelled passenger's name, and you would totally be out that money.

If you go with him as a no-show, you would be refunded the port fees for the no-show and would not have to pay gratuities for the no-show, you would simply be out his fare.

My advice (FWIW)? If your friend asks about the cruise, just tell him that he didn't pay and he was cancelled from the reservation. Hopefully, you didn't share the booking information with him. Is he the type of person who would try to just show up after no paying? If so, you need better friends :)

If your friend asks about the cruise, just tell him that he didn't pay and he was cancelled from the reservation. Hopefully, you didn't share the booking information with him. Is he the type of person who would try to just show up after no paying? If so, you need better friends :)

He has the booking number. Crud.

I would be so annoyed that I would just cancel the entire cruise and eat the loss. Try to get everything credited in your name, but if he ends up with a credit of some kind i would not let him know about it. Just pretend like you got it refunded if he asks. I would just want closure.

I would be so annoyed that I would just cancel the entire cruise and eat the loss. Try to get everything credited in your name, but if he ends up with a credit of some kind i would not let him know about it. Just pretend like you got it refunded if he asks. I would just want closure.

Trust me, I've considered that several times. I've only been on two cruises before and each time, there was drama to deal with. This is the first one I've ever planned on my own and it's been an absolute nightmare. But considering I'm the one paying, there's still a possibility of any credits going to him instead of me? That doesn't sound at all fair!

Trust me, I've considered that several times. I've only been on two cruises before and each time, there was drama to deal with. This is the first one I've ever planned on my own and it's been an absolute nightmare. But considering I'm the one paying, there's still a possibility of any credits going to him instead of me? That doesn't sound at all fair!

I do not know. I think it is in his name if he is the passenger. But I would fight it if that is the case. Like just keep asking to speak to a supervisor, etc. Get it traced to your credit card. Did you put down a large deposit? If it is a small one, like the $50/ person, you will loose that anyway in fees. So you may not be out that much more?

We always try to do the $50/person deposits so if something happens we are not as worried. They offer that a lot. We find what we want and wait for that deposit offer to come up. I know you don't want advice for next time right now. Sorry.

I just recently had this conversation with Carnival about my DD's ex-boyfriend that is booked on an upcoming cruise with us. We are going to no-show him; it was best in the long run for the other passenger that he is booked in the room with him. Luckily for us he doesn't know anything about booking numbers and Carnival doesn't have his email or phone number, currently it is all mine. She is going to pay the remainder due (bad relationship tax) and we have told him he lost his deposit with the cancellation.

When we were weighing our options for changing his name to another guest I was told this. Keep in mind this booking is ES since neither guest could get past guest. If we needed to change his name to another guest under ES, Carnival will cancel his booking and rebook the new guest. New guest has to pay new deposit and full fare. He had given me $125.00 as a deposit so $50.00 would be gone to Carnival (ES Tax) and $75 would come to ME as a future cruise credit (future cruise, can't use it to rebook on this same cruise with the new guest). If he had paid anything in excess of the deposited it would have all been credited back to the original form of payment, which in this case was my AMEX. I would get the future cruise credit since Carnival sees that I paid the deposit and not him.

Only thing that really annoyed me is the future cruise portion. Would have preferred to be able to change the name for a nominal fee....but here we are.

Have you tried changing the name online? Just change 1 field at a time. First name, save, last name, save.

I tried that and it wouldn't let me. I booked the cruise with one friend who ended up flaking on me, so I had to call into Carnival for them to change it.

If anyone's interested, I spoke with a Carnival representative in the spirit of transparency and she informed me that if I go on and cancel him, I just have to pay another $50 + his share, which I'm totally fine with. I don't mind forking over $50 more than I planned to end this nightmare and go alone while not having to worry about him showing up and getting a free vacay (and me potentially having to "accidentally" toss him overboard).

Don't ever make travel plans with an ex. Ugh.

I just recently had this conversation with Carnival about my DD's ex-boyfriend that is booked on an upcoming cruise with us. We are going to no-show him; it was best in the long run for the other passenger that he is booked in the room with him. Luckily for us he doesn't know anything about booking numbers and Carnival doesn't have his email or phone number, currently it is all mine. She is going to pay the remainder due (bad relationship tax) and we have told him he lost his deposit with the cancellation.

When we were weighing our options for changing his name to another guest I was told this. Keep in mind this booking is ES since neither guest could get past guest. If we needed to change his name to another guest under ES, Carnival will cancel his booking and rebook the new guest. New guest has to pay new deposit and full fare. He had given me $125.00 as a deposit so $50.00 would be gone to Carnival (ES Tax) and $75 would come to ME as a future cruise credit (future cruise, can't use it to rebook on this same cruise with the new guest). If he had paid anything in excess of the deposited it would have all been credited back to the original form of payment, which in this case was my AMEX. I would get the future cruise credit since Carnival sees that I paid the deposit and not him.

Only thing that really annoyed me is the future cruise portion. Would have preferred to be able to change the name for a nominal fee....but here we are.

Thanks for this information. Crazy how relationships can fall apart in the time from booking to the cruise.

I tried that and it wouldn't let me. I booked the cruise with one friend who ended up flaking on me, so I had to call into Carnival for them to change it.

If anyone's interested, I spoke with a Carnival representative in the spirit of transparency and she informed me that if I go on and cancel him, I just have to pay another $50 + his share, which I'm totally fine with. I don't mind forking over $50 more than I planned to end this nightmare and go alone while not having to worry about him showing up and getting a free vacay (and me potentially having to "accidentally" toss him overboard).

Don't ever make travel plans with an ex. Ugh.

Ugh is right! But this happens to everyone at one time or another. Don't look back. Just enjoy your cruise. Just an aside: it has been my experience that if you call back and talk to someone else, you might get a different answer.

• 3 weeks later...

I am going though this with my husband right now. HE chose this cruise that is coming up in December and I paid the total cost. Now he says he will not be able to go. I have already been to this port 2 before and don't really care to see these places again. But I can just stay on board and visit the spa or something. I was told to just treat him as a no-show.

What a horrible situation to be in. I truly feel for you and hope you will let us know how it turned out.

If he shows up at the port, look him square in the eye and say "I will make you life miserable this week"

Afterall, he has to stay in the cabin with you, right?

Have you tried changing the name online? Just change 1 field at a time. First name, save, last name, save.

That no longer works, you can change other the first name or last name, it does not allow you to change both.

Crazy how relationships can fall apart in the time from booking to the cruise.

Yep, my wife's sister's husband, paid a cruise deposit for both of them and moved out 3 days later.

Ugh is right! it has been my experience that if you call back and talk to someone else, you might get a different answer.

I agree, I called my PVP and asked her to speak to her supervisor, she did and the supervisor approved a name change on the existing Early Saver reservation for a $50 fee (this was 6 months after he moved out)

A Win-Win for both Carnival and us !

Edited by lizardhowson

I have been able to change passenger name online in an ES booking. I booked and the other person was/is my sister. But the booking engine did not ask for her name, just listed my last name and TBA as the first. Since we haven't shared a last name for nearly 50 years... I went in to modify, changed the last name. Saved it, then went in again and changed the first name. Works every time for me. EM

I have been able to change passenger name online in an ES booking. I booked and the other person was/is my sister. But the booking engine did not ask for her name, just listed my last name and TBA as the first. Since we haven't shared a last name for nearly 50 years... I went in to modify, changed the last name. Saved it, then went in again and changed the first name. Works every time for me. EM

That only works if you book with a TBA as the second passenger. If you name the passenger, it won't work for ES bookings.

How far out is your cruise?

It sounds like you would just call carnival and rebook, pay the 50 fee and higher solo rate.

another thing you can do is click cancel cruise and see what the penalty is, just to see.

Another choice is pay what you need ($50?) to change the name to a better friend, even if they aren't going. If bad friend shows up, they won't have a booking, better friend will.

My sister was dying and we had a family cruise planned as her "last hurrah". In person in our party who was sharing s room with her couldn't go after we left the deposit (ES). I was on the phone with my PVP (who has booked everyone in my family for the last ten years), for over 4 hours, sobbing, trying to get them to let us change the name to a.friend of my dying sister. FINALLY, she got it approved, but I almost had a a better chance of meeting the Easter Bunny than getting the name changed. I don't see the big deal. Either way we had two people in the room. If I had known this trick I would have tried it first!

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app