Alaska Cell Service

HermmyGranger

I am heading out for my first Alaska cruise next week. My cellular service map shows full service in most of the areas we will be. Does this mean I can use their service while on the ship or will it only be available in port? Example: all around Juneau and that entire area shows service, but I'm curious if I can us it in my cabin and not get charged the ship rate?

Ships have a cell tower that captures all calls when turned ON which is the case until the ship is near dockside. You can use your cell in your cabin while in port as well as using it for tethering your laptop/tablet while in port.

Leaving your cell phone ON while at sea can be very expensive as the movement of the ship causes your cell phone to update its location which incurs charges through the ship's cell tower connection.

If your ship is docked in Skagway next to the large mountainside, cell service will be terrible. Leave the ship and walk toward town for better reception.

We just got back this past weekend from our HAL cruise. I brought both my personal Sprint iPhone 6S Plus with the Open World feature and my company Verizon iPhone 6S. My wife brought her personal Sprint iPhone 6S Plus without the Open World feature enabled.

I turned on my phone while sailing near what appeared to be populated areas while heading to port - was able to get a signal on both phones while my wife couldn't. In port, Verizon did much better than Sprint, although I could still get 3G or extended on it. As soon as Cellular at Sea appeared on my phone, I knew better than to roam with them and shut down.

If Verizon's website is to be believed, they deliberately left a dead zone in Ketchikan which includes the docks. And there also appears to be a small dead zone right by the docks themselves in Juneau. (Skagway seems golden.)

VerizonWirelessKetchikanDock620x280.jpg.ab754e68a53a1ae7248308dd16ee8811.jpg

VerizonWirelessJuneauDock620x280.jpg.85eca319219613ff0ee8584a6abb918d.jpg

VerizonWirelessSkagwayDock620x280.jpg.6fa3ff3f89cf43b3df953bb359158691.jpg

Edited by bUU

My cell phone carrier uses AT&T network I checked the maps and it looks completely thorough in all the areas we're going. That being said, it sounds like in port and off the ship I should be fine, but I should probably put it in airplane mode while on the ship itself. Does that sound right? I would normally not even worry, but I'm going with family and my husband and son are staying home. Husband is a bit nervous about being out of contact with me for an entire week.

I have Verizon, and I had LTE service in Ketchikan aboard the Amsterdam. I didn't expect to, but there it was.

And I'm typing this in my cabin while we're docked in Juneau, again LTE service on Verizon.

I've had to use the ship's paid internet connection everywhere else so far.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My cell phone carrier uses AT&T network I checked the maps and it looks completely thorough in all the areas we're going. That being said, it sounds like in port and off the ship I should be fine, but I should probably put it in airplane mode while on the ship itself. Does that sound right? I would normally not even worry, but I'm going with family and my husband and son are staying home. Husband is a bit nervous about being out of contact with me for an entire week.

I have airplane mode "off" AND wifi "off" -- otherwise, my iPhone and iPad try to use the ship's local wifi network, which isn't connected to the internet unless you specifically sign in on their paid internet service. Turning wifi off forces my devices to use LTE, which is what I want.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am a Consumer Cellular customer that somehow is connected to the AT&T system. No issues using my phone in Anchorage when I was off the ship. However, in Juneau while still in my stateroom, I tried to use the phone and received the message that my SIM Card was corrupted and the phone could not be used. My blood pressure rose! I disembarked and tried using the phone on the pier and it worked!

Airplane mode or OFF is a good idea to avoid some big charges on your bill. Some folks keep their cell phone in the room safe just to be sure.

I have Verizon, and I had LTE service in Ketchikan aboard the Amsterdam. I didn't expect to, but there it was.

And I'm typing this in my cabin while we're docked in Juneau, again LTE service on Verizon.

I've had to use the ship's paid internet connection everywhere else so far.

Ketchikan and Juneau are the first two ports out of Seattle, though. Right?

I didn't have reliable coverage (if any) on sea days.

Thankfully, T-Mobile doesn't do data on any shipboard cellphone system. Just WiFi for data. But T-Mobile charges $6/minute for voice calls.

Ketchikan and Juneau are the first two ports out of Seattle, though. Right?

I didn't have reliable coverage (if any) on sea days.

Thankfully, T-Mobile doesn't do data on any shipboard cellphone system. Just WiFi for data. But T-Mobile charges $6/minute for voice calls.

Right -- Ketchikan & Juneau are the first 2 ports.

I've used the onboard paid Internet to maintain contact w/ family & friends and upload photos for safekeeping, doing as much prep offline as I can, then connecting just long enough to upload whatever I have ready.

I told everyone that I would likely not have phone service except when we are in a port that is included in Verizon coverage, so the easiest way to contact me would be email or Facebook as I'll check in at least once a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums