Should I Go Ahead And Book Excursion

Tiggipaws

Hello

Before Irma I contacted a reputable company for a snorkeling trip. At the time they were very busy getting ready for Irma and said that they would get back to me once it was over.

Unfortunately they lost a boat but all there staff are safe. They have asked me do I now want to book, which I do. I am visiting Grand Turk on the 26th Dec. I have to give a 50% deposit which is refundable if the ship doesn't dock.

I know nobody has a crystal ball, but is it possible that Grand Turk will be a possibility in late December?

Thanksclear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Hello

Before Irma I contacted a reputable company for a snorkeling trip. At the time they were very busy getting ready for Irma and said that they would get back to me once it was over.

Unfortunately they lost a boat but all there staff are safe. They have asked me do I now want to book, which I do. I am visiting Grand Turk on the 26th Dec. I have to give a 50% deposit which is refundable if the ship doesn't dock.

I know nobody has a crystal ball, but is it possible that Grand Turk will be a possibility in late December?

Here's some info that might ease your mind (or not): https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2017/09/15/irma-update-grand-turk-island-not-quite-ready-cruise-ships/670678001/

One of the things they warn you about is buying cars after a very bad flood - concerned that many of the vehicles that suddenly go up for sale soon after have undisclosed flood damage. It pays to be extra vigilant and protect yourself. I feel the same way about cruise excursions. At this point, I wouldn't consider purchasing any excursions from anyone other than the cruise ship, who's reputation I can play off of if the excursion operator performs poorly.

If you pay with a major credit card, you have "No Fraud" protection, as well as the right to dispute charges for cause. That being said, you're going snorkeling 3.5 months from now, not buying a used car or renting a beach villa today. If they have gas for their boat, go and have a great time!

... At this point, I wouldn't consider purchasing any excursions from anyone other than the cruise ship, who's reputation I can play off of if the excursion operator performs poorly.

At this point, I would book only ship excursions...

I agree 100%.

Smooth sailing :ship: :ship: :ship:

Hello

I don't understand why some are pushing for ship's excursions. You are promised your $ back if you can't get there and, assuming you have checked the company out and they are reliable - you have nothing to lose.

But, if I may, I would check your credit card. Mine protects me 3 months out if things don't happen (it's Canadian) so just call your CC and make sure.

When I have had to do prepayments no tour operator has argued when I have said that I will make the deposit on x date to have the CC insurance (if I thought I needed it).

I'd go for it. Their excursion will give you more time and be much more personable I'm guessing.

Don't sweat the small stuff. As long as you CYA, you will be fine :)

At this point, I wouldn't consider purchasing any excursions from anyone other than the cruise ship, who's reputation I can play off of if the excursion operator performs poorly.

Could you elaborate on this please?

How the heck do you play off HAL's rep if the excursion operator performs poorly? I've been on some pretty expensive HAl tours that were not up to snuff and never got a dime back.

Didn't get what you were promised? Don't bother seeing shore excursions as they just sluff it off.

I do the odd HAL tour here and there, but if I can, and when I can, I will take a private tour any day of the week for a better quality tour, more time and more flexiblity.

Hello

I would wait to book. You probably be sorry you did. It is a catastrophe there

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello

Thank you for all the replies. The only reason I am bothered about booking the excursion is in case HAL decide not to go to Grand Turk because of the damage caused by hurricain Irma not beacause I think that the operator is untrustworthy.

Hello

Thank you for all the replies. The only reason I am bothered about booking the excursion is in case HAL decide not to go to Grand Turk because of the damage caused by hurricain Irma not beacause I think that the operator is untrustworthy.

Did I misunderstand your first post?? I understood your deposit was refundable if you didn''t get to Grand Turk?

If I misunderstood,, that puts a different light on things.. You could wait until HAL announces the new itineraries but that still does not guarantee you get there. Ship happens on any cruise..

Assuming you have cancellation insurance,, you can check to make sure that excursions are covered as well.

As well as your credit card policy for protection..

Did I misunderstand your first post?? I understood your deposit was refundable if you didn''t get to Grand Turk?

If I misunderstood,, that puts a different light on things.. You could wait until HAL announces the new itineraries but that still does not guarantee you get there. Ship happens on any cruise..

Assuming you have cancellation insurance,, you can check to make sure that excursions are covered as well.

As well as your credit card policy for protection..

oops, Just wanted to add that you might want to wait until the 3 current hurricanes are out of the Atlantic Basin. Hurricane Maria is tracking for that area currently. Too early to say for sure, so I would wait until it's impact is known.

... You are promised your $ back if you can't get there and, assuming you have checked the company out and they are reliable - you have nothing to lose...

But, if I may, I would check your credit card. Mine protects me 3 months out if things don't happen (it's Canadian) so just call your CC and make sure...

... As long as you CYA, you will be fine :)

... Assuming you have cancellation insurance,, you can check to make sure that excursions are covered as well...

And, if all these "protections" fail you, I'm certain the folks on your Roll Call will pitch in to make you whole in the event of a problem with a private shore excursion that the RC folks recommended and/or helped organize. :rolleyes: Let me know how that works out for you.

And, if all these "protections" fail you, I'm certain the folks on your Roll Call will pitch in to make you whole in the event of a problem with a private shore excursion that the RC folks recommended and/or helped organize. :rolleyes: Let me know how that works out for you.

Umm the OP is booking this themselves.

And, credit cards and cancellation insurance do honour their commitments.

I get it - you disapprove of private excursions - each to their own but no need for sarcasm nor the disdain for protections that are in place.

... I get it - you disapprove of private excursions - each to their own but no need for sarcasm nor the disdain for protections that are in place.

While some insurance policies and credit cards may cover some losses of this nature, many (if not most) do not!!! But, more to the point is that HAL will stand behind its shore excursion vendors in all instances.

Also, as a CCL shareholder, I would rather see HAL realize shore excursion revenue than some unknown (possibly fly-by-night) vendor. Loss of shore excursion revenue forces HAL to cut back on other services and/or to raise fares.

In my provincial way of seeing things, buying shore excursions from third party vendors is comparable to bringing one's own liquor to a bar - it is tacky and classless.

But to each her/his own ...

While some insurance policies and credit cards may cover some losses of this nature, many (if not most) do not!!! But, more to the point is that HAL will stand behind its shore excursion vendors in all instances.

Also, as a CCL shareholder, I would rather see HAL realize shore excursion revenue than some unknown (possibly fly-by-night) vendor. Loss of shore excursion revenue forces HAL to cut back on other services and/or to raise fares.

In my provincial way of seeing things, buying shore excursions from third party vendors is comparable to bringing one's own liquor to a bar - it is tacky and classless.

EXCUSE ME???

HAL does NOT stand behind it's shore excursions.

Only if they are cancelled.

I have had three very expensive tours that were a disaster and despite several of us going we got no consideration or refund. In fact, I was told bluntly that we were too knowledgeable and should have done a private tour.

I spend plenty of $ on the ships. Significantly. Just not on poor shore excursions. I do some of HAL's but frankly, I have been more disappointed than not.

So wanting a better quality tour with fewer people is tacky and classless?? Well you go ahead and be herded like cats. I'll do what I think is best and have more flexibility, less wait for washrooms, more enjoyment and no shopping stops. My choice.

But you have no right to call anyone who does this classless. You have gone beyond the line IMO.

By the way, it's a lot of work to plan a good private tour - and we don't do it to save $ we do it for a better experience.

You know, I used to think that booking with HAL gave me some sort of protection and support if I needed it. Not any more. The excursion staff on our last HAL cruise were useless. They may "stand behind their vendors" but they sure don't stand behind their passengers.

I fell off a dock on an excursion. My fault, I'm not blaming the vendor or the Exc people for that. I smacked my back as I fell and I was in a lot of pain. Fortunately, it was at the end of the tour and the vendor's van was headed back to this ship. I decided to go back to the ship rather than have the vendor call an ambulance. I figured if the ship felt my injuries were too serious, they would send me off to a hospital.

The vendor called ahead so that someone could met me when the van arrived. Someone from Exc was there, and she knew that someone had been injured, but there was no wheelchair waiting and she made no move to do anything to help me. A VERY nice woman from the tour said she would speak to someone at the gangway, and a wheelchair arrived shortly after that.

The Exc woman said to call and have the nurse come to my room. That sounded odd, but I figured it must be HA or Exc policy. But when the nurse arrived (with the big orange first aid backpack), she said she couldn't do anything for me in my room. So we went to the medical center. That "house call" which the Exc person told me to do cost me an extra $48.

The medical staff were great, and fortunately I hadn't broken any bones, just made some muscles extremely angry. When I got back to my cabin, I realized that I'd lost my glasses in the kerfuffle. I wanted to call the Exc people to ask them to get in touch with the vendor, but I could not find an extension for them anywhere. Not that it mattered, the office was closed. I should have called the concierge, but in my agitated state I didn't think of that. DH went down to the Exc office but they were closed. He asked the front desk, but they don't know who the vendors are, so all they could do was send a message to the Exc office. According to the When & Where, the Exc office opened at 6. I was hoping that they would call me to let me know if they'd had any luck. When it got close to their closing hours, I hobbled down to find out if they'd heard from the vendor. The less than pleasant woman said "They're closed, it's 8 o'clock." as if I was too stupid to tell time. I asked if anyone from Exc had called the vendor and was told they'd sent an email. If they had bothered to call the vendor at 6, they might have found someone in the office.

I didn't hear anything about my glasses for a few days, so I emailed the vendor directly. They hadn't found my glasses, but they would keep an eye out for them. Still nothing from Exc, not even a message that the glasses hadn't been found.

5 days later, a few days before the end of the cruise, the concierge called me to tell me the glasses had been found and Exc had contacted him to verify my mailing address. Why couldn't they just call me? Probably because it was easier to send an email to the Concierge than to bother speaking to a passenger. The concierge was almost more excited than I was that the glasses turned up. (Everyone else I dealt with was WONDERFUL, only the Exc were bad)

So now I'm home, a week went by and still no glasses. OK it's Alaska and longer distances mean slower mail. But I contacted the vendor to ask when they mailed the glasses so I could keep a look out for them. The vendor still had them because Exc hadn't given them my address! The concierge was efficient, and I'm sure he gave the info to Exc. He was so happy for me he would never have dropped the ball. Whether Exc lost it or forgot about it or just couldn't be bothered, I don't know.

What I do know is that they did NOTHING for me but print tickets and send them to my room.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

I would not book with them right now. Not because of any worry about a refund if the ship does not stop there.

The snorkeling may be crummy, because of the hurricane and that would not be a reason for you to cancel. Wait till November or so and see what feed back you get regarding the conditions.

I have been on many snorkeling tours.

I have an independent excursion booked in St Martin, sailing on 11/8. I fully expect the port to be removed or substituted. I also fully expect that if that happens, the vendor will refund my deposit. If they don't, I'll submit a claim to PayPal.

I do realize that HAL loyalists seem much more inclined to only book ship excursions than those on some other lines. I suspect that the fact that HAL's loyalty program gives you points makes a difference.

But I just much, much prefer to book independent tours. Smaller groups, less wasted time being herded on and off big buses and waiting for the inevitable few who refuse to return to the bus on time, better prices, better overall experience. Just took cruise #30 and since I discovered Cruise Critic, have almost always booked independent tours. The only time I book through the ship is when they offer an excursions I want and I cannot find something comparable independently. But that's rare.

If you find something you want to do, book it! I've never, ever had a problem with any independent vendor not refunding a deposit if I changed my mind. And if the itinerary changes while you're on the ship, the vendors will be well aware and will give a refund if the ship can't make their schedule stop.