Vacation rescheduled because of Irma. New to NCL. Questions.

grooveynurse

Hubby and I have been planning anniversary trip to Key West for a year now. Key West recieved lots of damage so we had to figure out a plan B. I'm a HUGE planner and have always cruised Carnival/Royal. Hubby and I have been wanting to cruise NCL so we are now going on Escape 9/30. We have visited all of the ports (with the exception of Harvest Caye). This trip for us will be for the Norwegian Experience in general.

This is so last minute for me. I usually know what to expect before a cruise. Though I am excited, I have some questions. I have read over the boards a bit but honestly don't have the time to study as normal since we only booked last night. If you have time/insight I'd be so grateful for any info you have concerning the following questions, or any other helpful hints for that matter. I am still researching on my own as well.

1.) Most dinning times seem to be booked. We only want to go to two restaurants and the only available time is 9:30pm...way too late for us. Do we have a chance of getting earlier times on board and if so what is the best way to do that.

2.) Is there a fee for room service breakfast...coffee/fruit? Carnival has a little hang tag menu to order light fare for the morning...we love our coffee in bed. Does the $7.95 fee apply for this? I'm not complaining at all, just want to be informed:)

3.) It had me select a check in time, how does this work? Can we not arrive earlier than our time? What about arriving later?

4.) There is NO option online this close to sailing to book entertainment. Can I book when I get onboard?

5.) Does anyone know the average price of Latte's/Cappucinos onboard?

6.) Is there a charge for bowling? Any fee for the ropes course?

7.) When boarding the ship or getting off, do you slide your card and hear a "bing"? Carnival is discontinueing this on their new ships, but that always sounds like my vacation has officially started.

8.) Will they offer a ship tour onboard? A behind the scenes tour? If so, what is the cost of that? Is it only offered on sea days?

Thanks so much in advance for any help with all of this. We are super excited to try NCL. SUPER excited.

Just got off breakaway

1. No charge for coffee and pastries not sure about fruit

2. Go to the right if guest services when you board so you can get dining. If it's Cagneys you are interested in you might want to book it if you can in line

3. You can arrive early and late just before last check in

4. Go to box office or kiosks to book on board when you get in ship

5. Can't help with this one

6.bowling is a charge I think it's $5 no charge for rope course

7. It bings!

8. Ship tour. It was either $79 or $99. We are platinum so get it free

Have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We sailed on the Escape this past May loved the ship

1.) Most dinning times seem to be booked. We only want to go to two restaurants and the only available time is 9:30pm...way too late for us. Do we have a chance of getting earlier times on board and if so what is the best way to do that. There will be other times available once you board the ship for the specialty restaurants you do not need to pick a dining time for the complimentary restaurants you just go when you want to eat you may have a short wait if you go at busy times

2.) Is there a fee for room service breakfast...coffee/fruit? Carnival has a little hang tag menu to order light fare for the morning...we love our coffee in bed. Does the $7.95 fee apply for this? I'm not complaining at all, just want to be informed:) If you have a balcony room there will be a coffee maker in the room but you can get a continental breakfast you don't pay the 7.95 fee

3.) It had me select a check in time, how does this work? Can we not arrive earlier than our time? What about arriving later? They did not uphold them when we went

4.) There is NO option online this close to sailing to book entertainment. Can I book when I get onboard? Yes you can book when you get on board and if the show is full you can get in the standby we had no trouble getting into the shows we wanted booking on the first day onboard

5.) Does anyone know the average price of Latte's/Cappucinos onboard? they were around 4.95 for a large

6.) Is there a charge for bowling? Any fee for the ropes course? it was 5 dollars a game in may

7.) When boarding the ship or getting off, do you slide your card and hear a "bing"? Carnival is discontinueing this on their new ships, but that always sounds like my vacation has officially started. Yes you slide cant say I always herd a ding

8.) Will they offer a ship tour onboard? A behind the scenes tour? If so, what is the cost of that? Is it only offered on sea days? Yes they do it was like 80 dollars a person and yes it was sea days

Thanks so much in advance for any help with all of this. We are super excited to try NCL. SUPER excited.

Just got off breakaway

1. No charge for coffee and pastries not sure about fruit

2. Go to the right if guest services when you board so you can get dining. If it's Cagneys you are interested in you might want to book it if you can in line

3. You can arrive early and late just before last check in

4. Go to box office or kiosks to book on board when you get in ship

5. Can't help with this one

6.bowling is a charge I think it's $5 no charge for rope course

7. It bings!

8. Ship tour. It was either $79 or $99. We are platinum so get it free

Have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for your answers. I'm glad to hear it Bings:) Cagneys is not offering any online bookings now. We want to try the Japanese Steakhouse too but all of their times are late.

Do they always have the white party onboard?

Book dining when you get onboard, book shows onboard or show up and wait on standby, charge for bowling, not for ropes, continental breakfast, no charge for room service, so far not enforcing check in times, lattes definitely cheaper than Starbucks.

Thank you.

1.) There are bookings reserved for those that are onboard. You can check onboard to see if there are any bookings left for the restaurants. Sometimes, people change their reservations.

2.) "Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 USD will be added to each order placed (Morning coffee, continental breakfast and orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will not attract a charge)*. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day."

3.) You can arrive early or later than the time chosen.

4.) You can book onboard through the box office as well as through the TV (newer cruise ships have this option).

5.) Check out this site: cruisewithgambee.com/norwegian-drink-lists/

6.) No charge for rope course, but there is for bowling.

7.) I think it does

8.) There's a behind the tour, but do not know the cost

Hubby and I have been planning anniversary trip to Key West for a year now. Key West recieved lots of damage so we had to figure out a plan B. I'm a HUGE planner and have always cruised Carnival/Royal. Hubby and I have been wanting to cruise NCL so we are now going on Escape 9/30. We have visited all of the ports (with the exception of Harvest Caye). This trip for us will be for the Norwegian Experience in general.

This is so last minute for me. I usually know what to expect before a cruise. Though I am excited, I have some questions. I have read over the boards a bit but honestly don't have the time to study as normal since we only booked last night. If you have time/insight I'd be so grateful for any info you have concerning the following questions, or any other helpful hints for that matter. I am still researching on my own as well.

1.) Most dinning times seem to be booked. We only want to go to two restaurants and the only available time is 9:30pm...way too late for us. Do we have a chance of getting earlier times on board and if so what is the best way to do that.

They only open up 30% of reservations for online booking. You can definitely book onboard. Time selection is better the earlier you do it. You can make reservations at Headliners on deck 6 or on the touch screens throughout the ship. You can also sometimes book from the terminal if your phone will pick up he ship's wi-fi through the iConcierge app.

2.) Is there a fee for room service breakfast...coffee/fruit? Carnival has a little hang tag menu to order light fare for the morning...we love our coffee in bed. Does the $7.95 fee apply for this? I'm not complaining at all, just want to be informed:)

Continental breakfast is free, and there is a hang tag for the door. Hot breakfast is available, but does have the $7.95 charge.

3.) It had me select a check in time, how does this work? Can we not arrive earlier than our time? What about arriving later?

They make you pick a time to try to stagger arrivals and help with crowding, but it isn't enforced. You can show up any time.

4.) There is NO option online this close to sailing to book entertainment. Can I book when I get onboard?

Yes. Again, from the touch screens or the iconcierge app.

It used to be in the $2-3 range. Now the atrium coffee bars have switched to Starbucks, so I have a feeling it's closer to typical Starbucks pricing, but I haven't sailed since the switch, so I'm not positive.

There is a slight charge for bowling as well as all the other arcade games at O'Sheehans. No charge for the ropes course.

7.) When boarding the ship or getting off, do you slide your card and hear a "bing"? Carnival is discontinueing this on their new ships, but that always sounds like my vacation has officially started.

Unless they've changed it very recently, yes, there's a bing :)

8.) Will they offer a ship tour onboard? A behind the scenes tour? If so, what is the cost of that? Is it only offered on sea days?

It's usually only on one sea day, and it's around $100 if I remember correctly.

Have a great trip! Escape is an amazing ship. I think you'll be very pleased with your NCL experience :)

NCL holds tables for on-board bookings. But, if you have specific times, please book on embarkation day. The easiest way is to use one of the touch screen kiosks in public areas. Pick your restaurant, time, number in party and scan your room key. Alternately, there will be a restaurant reservation area set up in the Headliners night club on the afternoon of embarkation. You can see all of the menus and [stand in line] to book your seats.

Cagneys Steak House and Teppanyaki are the most popular restaurants and will sell out of prime time reservation quickly.

You can get a continental breakfast for free. Use the hang tag to order your complementary continental breakfast.

Hot breakfast (eggs, omelets, etc.) or food any other time of the day will incur the delivery charge.

Right now, they are not enforcing the check-in times. The ship will start boarding around 11:30 am. If you want to beat the crowds and get your vacation started, show up at 10:30. The Garden Cafe Buffet will be open at 11:30 for lunch. The Taste and Savor main dining rooms will open at noon.

Similar to dining, you can book as soon as you embark at one of the Kiosks. Book times for For The Record: The Brat Pack (appearing on 2 nights) and After Midnight (appearing on 2 nights). You can also book complimentary dinner shows in the Supper Club. And you can book one of the Comedy shows in the Headliners cub (early shows are family oriented, late shows are 18+).

All shows allow you to attend stand-by. 10 minutes before show time, you will be allowed to take any open seats. If the main theater shows are not sold out, they will let you in when you show up.

There is a complementary Escape Room (called Escape the Big Top) that can be booked.

There are for fee activities like Canvas by U (group painting class) that can been booked.

Bowling is a mini bowling alley and comes with a fee (don't know how much). The Ropes Course and Water Park are all free.

More of a cash register sound.

Usually on sea days. It is about $80 per person. The Escape is one of the newer mega ships in the NCL fleet and getting behind the scenes is pretty impressive. (We are at the Platinum Plus level (i.e., Diamond Plus) and get a free abbreviate tour on all ships).

The Escape is a beautiful ship. Our favorite in the fleet.

Regarding the White Party...It's now called the Glow Party. Yes, they always have it. If its raining they will move it from Spice to the Atrium. It is a blast! Wear all white or white and neon colors. We wore white pants and neon colored shirts. I got us glow in the dark hats to match our shirts, brought different kinds of glow sticks along but they also hand stuff out. We also brought glow paint and my daughter painted our faces. They offered some face painting beforehand as well. It was tons of fun and I was there til they stopped the music. I'm sure it was after 1 am!

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

Thank you for your answers. I'm glad to hear it Bings:) Cagneys is not offering any online bookings now. We want to try the Japanese Steakhouse too but all of their times are late.

Do they always have the white party onboard?

NCL only prebooks about 30% of Specialty Dining Times. Just go to headliners (Deck 6) as soon as you board and make them

Or if you get the IConcierge app you can book on that.

I know how you feel trying out a new cruise line. They are all very similar but different! The nice thing about ncl is there are a lot of choices. You can enjoy your self for the cost of the cruise or you can step out and try some of the for fee restaurants and entertainment. Totally your choice!

Thank you all so much for the advice this far. You have given me hope. I went online to book things and feared we wouldn't get to eat dinner until 8:30pm every night...LOL, that's all that is left for MDR reservations. And many specialty places are not accepting reservations now....But it seems I will be able to book first day and that's totally cool with me.

We are looking forward to our trip....lets just hope no more crazy hurricanes come our way;p

Thank you all so much for the advice this far. You have given me hope. I went online to book things and feared we wouldn't get to eat dinner until 8:30pm every night...LOL, that's all that is left for MDR reservations. And many specialty places are not accepting reservations now....But it seems I will be able to book first day and that's totally cool with me.

We are looking forward to our trip....lets just hope no more crazy hurricanes come our way;p

Depends on how many in your party and when you want to dine. Keep your hope, but don't be disappointed if you can't get a desirable reservation. Book as soon as you get on the ship. The "30%" number has been tossed about, but that should not be interpreted to mean that the remaining 70% is available for booking by the masses - there are bookings that get higher priority either by reason of higher fare or affiliation. Have a good cruise!

In response to #1 - the newer ships have the option of booking restaurants and shows thru the TV in your stateroom.