Hurricane Maria Discussion Here

PelicanBill

Yes, strengthening again, will be cat 5 soon. But two small but important pieces of good news: The path shifted "left" again, placing the eyewall offshore and south of St. Croix, which could spare it the cat 5 or even cat 4 wind strength.

And the path over PR is a diagonal over the least populated areas - so the strongest winds would not hit the populated San Juan and Ponce areas. It's a minor consolation, but I'll take anything.

Yes, strengthening again, will be cat 5 soon. But two small but important pieces of good news: The path shifted "left" again, placing the eyewall offshore and south of St. Croix, which could spare it the cat 5 or even cat 4 wind strength.

And the path over PR is a diagonal over the least populated areas - so the strongest winds would not hit the populated San Juan and Ponce areas. It's a minor consolation, but I'll take anything.

I am watching both the San Jaun and St Croix radars to see what is happening. No path is a goog path. This eyewall replacement is not exactly clear. I hope it gets done before St Croix.

One path St Croix gets the full eye. The east-shift St Croix misses the current eye-wall, but if the replacement is complete it might catch the new NE quad of the wall. PR is going to drown in all the rain.

Hey Bill. Are you like me? 24/7 Maria TV and internet!

Hi

Welcome to Cruisecritic.
There are
many
of us sailing with you on the
on the following roll call thread, where considerations and issues to this cruise (including Hurricane Maria) are addressed specific to our group:

Please view this thread, post a hello, and express any thoughts and questions there!

---

---
(
)

We look forward to seeing you there!

- - -

Good links! Seems the Captain has things planned for whatever happens.

The impact on the islands looks devastating. I'm booked on a NE/Canada cruise on the 30th. I'm worried it might hit that area too. How far out do cruise lines usually cancel?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Generally right before the cruise. I know people were watching to see if their cruise was cancelled or delayed with Irma. You just have to check the website twice a day to get updates. They generally post what time the next update will come.

The Canada/NE cruise shouldn't be too affected. Jose is causing some stormy waves right now but will clear out of the area. With Irma, I didn't see any cancellations or alterations to the Canada itineraries.

I'm just wondering where I will be going in November. We were scheduled for Ponce, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, and St Kitts. Looks like St. Kitts will be able to take us. Celebrity cancelled our excursion in St. Thomas for Sapphire Beach. I saw a photo of it today and can see why. Was hoping for St. Croix as an alternate to St Thomas but with Maria rolling over the top of it, I doubt it. Ponce isn't looking too good right now as Maria is a Cat 5 set to hit PR tomorrow morning.

I just hope they don't sub Nassau for one of the ports!! :o

Hoping for the best for our cruise on the Carnival BreeE out of Galveston 9/24. Itinerary is Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan. Carnival to update website Wed at noon.

That's a Western Caribbean cruise. These hurricanes are in the Eastern Caribbean. Your route will be unaffected.

First and foremost my heart breaks for the people of the caribbean, florida and texas who have lost so much. I feel like a bit of jerk complaining about how my cruise is affected by all of this ... that said.... (and we donated money too!)

We are booked on the NCL Jade 10 day for Xmas 2017. This is our "do something different" trip as we lost my Mother this year and did not want to try to sit and have the usual xmas without her this year. Maria is up to a 4 now and is bearing down for a direct hit on Dominica and more beyond. See my itinerary below. Any idea what they will do? 10 days is long to switch to a western caribbean!! Sound like St Crox is now in Maria path too! What is left?

Mon Miami, Florida

Tue At Sea

Wed San Juan, Puerto Rico Irma Maria (worse)/

Thu St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands Irma Maria (worse)

Fri Roseau, Dominica Maria now as Cat 4 direct hit

Sat Bridgetown, Barbados Spared

Sun Castries, St. Lucia Maria

Mon Philipsburg, St. Maarten Irma Cat 5 GONE!!!!

Tue At Sea

Wed At Sea

Thu Miami, Florida (Flight Departure)

PS - I live in Boston and am awaiting Jose!!! LOL

I'm on the January 26th sailing of this itinerary... very interested in where we may end up being able to visit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Forecast shows possible hit to NYC area and NE area next week!

Didn’t hit my islands but is coming for my departure port. Ugh

As of now it looks like Maria MAY, MAY, pass very near to Cape Cod on Wednesday the 27th. By mid-day Thursday she will pass along the Nova Scotia coast off toward Newfoundland. Depending on your date of depature and which port it should be past you.

The NE/Canadian cruises leaving this coming weekend are going to potentially have a very rough cruise toward the end of their week. The cruises the weekend after should be Maria free.

As of now it looks like Maria MAY, MAY, pass very near to Cape Cod on Wednesday the 27th. By mid-day Thursday she will pass along the Nova Scotia coast off toward Newfoundland. Depending on your date of depature and which port it should be past you.

The NE/Canadian cruises leaving this coming weekend are going to potentially have a very rough cruise toward the end of their week. The cruises the weekend after should be Maria free.

Let’s hope you’re right!

Leaving from NYC 10/1

I'm on the January 26th sailing of this itinerary... very interested in where we may end up being able to visit.

Down here in Scituate the TV trucks line up waiting for the homes to float away. Jose is disappointing them.

Nice cruise, it was nice.;) I would look for you to head to the ABC's. St Lucia was not near the center of Maria so I think they were ok. San Juan will be fine by then but the rest of PR might be not ready. The flooding in PR is going to more of an issue than the wind.

I doubt there will be an island in the Leeward Islands visited for most of the next year. And, FWIW, This season is not over, We are just past the peak. From now through October there will be as many as 7 more storms.

Looks like PR is getting hammered by Maria. I was at my dentist yesterday afternoon and nearly all who work there have family in San Juan. No one could be reached.

Reports say the infrastructure in PR is very poor and vulnerable. Their electricity and cell service will be an issue for a time.