How do you handle charging your devices??

MichFish

My group travels with a bunch of devices. Tablets, phones, Apple Watches, etc.. How do you handle keeping things charged?

• How many plugs in a room are there that can be used for charging?
  • I've heard there is one in the bathroom - but it goes out when the light goes out - is that true?
  • Can you bring a power strip?
  • Can you bring a Surge Protector?
  • Has anybody tried the tower things that have a bunch of USB ports but only needs to be plugged into 1 outlet?

Help!!!

My group travels with a bunch of devices. Tablets, phones, Apple Watches, etc.. How do you handle keeping things charged?

• I've heard there is one in the bathroom - but it goes out when the light goes out - is that true?
  • Has anybody tried the tower things that have a bunch of USB ports but only needs to be plugged into 1 outlet?

Help!!!

Any charging device with a surge protector is prohibited and is a fire hazard. Most of the USB multi-port charger I've seen have a surge protector. Just bring one without and you'll have you USB devices covered.

Not sure how many plugs are in the room. The one in the bathroom on my cruise said "Shavers Only" so I never tried to use it. You can bring a power strip. You can't bring a surge protector. I use a PowerCube, it has 4 outlets, 2 USB ports, and 4 adapter plugs, so I used it in the EU socket, freeing up an extra US socket.

Any charging device with a surge protector is prohibited and is a fire hazard. Most of the USB multi-port charger I've seen have a surge protector. Just bring one without and you'll have you USB devices covered.

@johnamac - Thanks for the reply - I want to make sure I understand - the Surge Protector portion is the problem? So I can just bring a plain old power strip and that will be ok?

In my head - I thought surge protectors may be required or something........

I have never had a problem charging multiple items with the provided outlets.

Some people believe that anything not being used needs to be charging 24/7.

Which is not true. Most devices need little time to re-charge.

If you just take turns you can manage easily...

The stateroom has at least 2 US 110V outlets. Most ships also have one Euro 220V outlet that can also be used for charging with an adapter if your device can handle that voltage. One multi USB charger is all we need.

I have never had a problem charging multiple items with the provided outlets.

Some people believe that anything not being used needs to be charging 24/7.

Which is not true. Most devices need little time to re-charge.

If you just take turns you can manage easily...

Do people really think things need to charge 24/7? Is that why people keep asking this question? Well, yeah, I do believe people would think this: I'm remembering that one of my students recently asked me why her lipstick charger wasn't working -- she thought you were supposed to plug the two ends into one another to "recharge" the charger.

I'm with you: The outlets provided are ample-plenty for charging needs.

@johnamac - Thanks for the reply - I want to make sure I understand - the Surge Protector portion is the problem? So I can just bring a plain old power strip and that will be ok?

In my head - I thought surge protectors may be required or something........

That is my understanding, however, electrical extension cords (power strip?) is on the prohibited items list. Maritime vessels are wired completely differently than land electrical systems in terms of grounding.

We have a lot of devices and find it difficult to get everything fully charged with the number of outlets provided. This year I'm bringing one of those Mophie power chargers and that should be enough for me to keep my stuff charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how many plugs are in the room. The one in the bathroom on my cruise said "Shavers Only" so I never tried to use it. You can bring a power strip. You can't bring a surge protector. I use a PowerCube, it has 4 outlets, 2 USB ports, and 4 adapter plugs, so I used it in the EU socket, freeing up an extra US socket.

the power cube is not different from a power strip just compacted.... same needs and same risks. It is also not UL certified. and it IS a surge protector.....

I've used this on the recommendation of other cruisers, and not had an issue with it nor my cabin attendant questioning it. The reason I don't bring it more is it is heavier than a short (one foot) extension with three outlets I prefer, and sometimes on longer trips I'm operating close to airline free baggage limits.

There's an extent to which I prefer not to negotiate with myself over this sort of thing. I don't assume I know better than the cruise line. If my cabin attendant doesn't question it when it's lying out on the desk, I'm not going to overrule him. Items that have survived scrutiny on prior voyages are presumed acceptable on future ones.

Help!!!

the one in the bathroom is not usable.. it is only for razors. there will be 1-2 at the vanity. any others will require moving furniture

NO SURGE PROTECTORS

a power strip MIGHT be allowed. they tend to not like things they did not supply themselves in case of fire hazard form crap wiring. same with an extension cord, although if you ask they might have one you can borrow( they supply them for CPAP machines)

the plug in USB ports are fine.

Our plan is easy: we MINIMIZE the number of things that need plugging in. we bring portable batteries. those get charged overnight and we carry that with us during the day for on the go topping off so I don't have to miss out on the next chapter or the awesome sunset picture.

when in the room for more than ten minutes, something gets plugged in.

Ships have 4 power outlets usually. 2 are 110v USA flat blades, and 2 are 240v Euro 2 pin outlets. Most electronics today, including phones, cameras, ipads or tablets, and yes, even items like CPAP machines can be run on either voltage, or plug. Instead of overloading one plug, you have 4 plugs to use. For the 2 Euro plugs, all you need is an adapter plug. This is not a converter (runs around $30+) or any of the other fancy items, but a $2.00 adapter. I buy them in packs of 5 at Amazon, because I always seem to loose them. I don't travel with anything that can't be plugged into either one, including a CPAP machine. I honestly see no reason for extension cords, power strips or anything of that nature.

We've taken the Belkin mini extension strip on our last two cruises without any issue. But we really didn't need to, our iPhones and watches charge very quickly, and we only needed to charge our iPads every couple of days.

That caused DH' checked bag to go to the naughty room and it was held there until he went down and filled out the slip. He had to pick it up after we debarked.

I bought one of these, a Maketech extender, with power outlets and 3 USB ports. It is enough to charge our camera batteries, phones, and laptop. It does not contain a surge protector.

71XBeu2Oe4L._AC_UL115_.jpg

Are there just 2 outlets in the room? I can't sleep without a fan, and my husband has cpap machine. I didn't think we would need to ask for extension cord for that but maybe we should? Or does that just make the cord longer, not expand the number of plugs?

Contact special_needs@rccl.com about the CPAP. They will provide an extension cord and distilled water.

the power cube is not different from a power strip just compacted.... same needs and same risks. It is also not UL certified. and it IS a surge protector.....

According to the manufacturer the product I linked does not have surge protection, however maybe you're more informed about said product than the company that manufactured it.

This is from Royal Caribbean's website. It says no extension cords, which is pretty vague. I've heard many travelers say that they've had both surge protectors and regular power bars confiscated and others say you can bring a plain power strip. You may want to call to double check. I've always been fine with the outlets in the room, even with 3 people in one cabin. I keep my phone airplane mode with wifi on. It significantly prolongs battery life and charges faster.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums