Really bad experience booking a cruise onboard

Tony20

I got a quote one day and it was still good the next day, figured I might as well get $100 OBC to book then rather than do the same thing 2 days later when I got off the ship. I did my homework before I spoke to them, did not expect Nextcruise to give me info, just book what I wanted.

Can you still get Future Cruise Certificates? If so, still any perks with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used an old one for my upcoming Anthem cruise and all of the benefits seem to be grandfather/mother. Still have one in reserve for a special cruise.

It really depends on the next cruise counselor. Just like calling the 800 number. Some are good and knowledgeable, and some don't know fore or aft.

I wish that was my experience. I had the counselor, ass't supervisor, supervisor and Miami person all working to get the totals right. Another crazy aside, I just got an email to confirm the booking and it had yet ANOTHER total. smh

We booked onboard in late August (on Grandeur).

It went well. We knew what we wanted to book, so was not shopping around.

Benefits were marginal. For a GS on a 9 night cruise, got the BOGO50% off, $200 each discount and $100 OBC (I don't have the documents handy, so not sure if total or each).

We tried to go in last year, when we were on Indy. We had to wait forever, although no one seemed to be particularly busy. The woman who ended up serving us was very unhelpful, and seemed totally bored to be there. She did not do anything to try to "sell" us on the perks. It seemed as if she wanted us to leave, and we did. Booked with vacations to go afterwards for a better price.

The only reason I ever booked onboard was for the reduced deposit. So I doubt I'll ever do it again.

We booked onboard Indy this past February. I ended up getting what I want but the staff member annoyed me slightly. I told him I wanted to compare the price of 2 balconies vs a Family balcony ( we're a family of 5). The first price he quotes me was for a 2 bedroom suite and when I said I wasn't interested, he gave me all of the "selling points". Then he seemed annoyed when I said I wanted the OBC applied to the current sailing. He told me he had already applied it to the future sailing. I was already getting OBC for the future cruise and didn't want more. He eventually fixed it, but in the interim he had cancelled the kids room and rebooked it with a different reservation number. The only email I received had the original reservation number. I had to sit on the phone with CS for an hour while the tried to figure out what happened to their room since my reservation number said that I had canceled it.

Can you still get Future Cruise Certificates? If so, still any perks with them?

Yes, you can still get FCC while on board. I just got off Anthem on the 9th, and while I was on-board I stopped by Next Cruise and asked about them. She said yes they were available, but not many people buy them anymore because there is no real benefit. I commented that there really is no real benefit of booking any cruises on-board anymore. She really drank the cool-aid and said that it is the best it's ever been and how great it is. I then moved on.

Currently, I am cover through April 2020 with the hope they will make it worth while again by then.

We have been booking onboard for the OBC for the last 4-5 years. The reduced deposit was nice but not the main reason.

Over the years we have had varying degrees of success, and difficulties. Mostly good experiences.

1. Make sure they email or hand you the booking confirmation. Study it, twice.

2. They usually will quote the the old D1 prices. Always the highest prices.

3. Figure out what you want before you get there. Know what the prices are; you can use their PC's on the ship to get the current prices.

4. Have some idea where your favorite cabin/deck choices are on the ship.

5. Make them show you where your cabin is located and what class it is. Make sure it's not connecting, or if you need it, connecting. Obstructed view. Pullman, how many does it sleep? Port, starboard, which on some cruises actually makes a difference. (Alaska or Northern lights TA; sunset, sunrise)

6. It is VERY RARE you can get anything better, prices or otherwise, by booking onboard. If they start to tell you they will give you half off the second guest, subtlety remind them that's the same deal you get online. That's what travel agents tend to do.

7. Do make sure you get your dining preference stated, or get put on the waiting list.

8. Do make sure you tell them what size dining table you prefer.

9. Do make sure you C&A numbers are correct.

10. Do make sure you get your reservations linked BEFORE you leave the desk.

11. Do make sure your OBC and Balcony discounts are on the booking confirmation.

12. Don't think you have any chance to win the $300 OBC drawing. LOL

Probably more.

I would estimated that about 80 of our Royal Caribbean cruises were booked on board via "Next Cruise". However, with the almost complete reduction of benefits for doing so, we plan to never book on board again. We would be happy if they switched out the space for Next Cruise for another bar or shop.

We booked a new cruise last week by calling Crown and Anchor and immediately transferred it to a travel agent.

Absolutely! We always booked a Next Cruise back in the day...the last one we will ever book onboard was made last April. And yes, there was a huge mistake, so much so that the friend we cruise with complained bitterly as we never would've booked it otherwise...and it was just after they implemented the "no refund" policy so we were stuck! Finally we were told they would have a meeting with corporate and get back to us. The mistake was greatly in our favor so we were very adamant about it remaining what was quoted. The next day we went back in and low and behold, they said they would honor the quote! It is a very coveted cabin at an astonishing price...I don't want to say more because our cruise buds are so worried we will still get an "Oh we're sorry call" before Sept 2018 when it is scheduled.

When a company makes it difficult for customers to conduct business, it raises a red flag. The red flag has been waving for years.

There is a great opportunity for someone to swoop in and clean house. It's not rocket science. Being the best is often easier and cheaper than being good enough.

From the Frankenstein website and the flavor of the month pricing schemes, they are their own worst enemy. I would not be surprised if the on-board booking folks are as frustrated as the customers.

We have been booking onboard for the OBC for the last 4-5 years. The reduced deposit was nice but not the main reason.

Over the years we have had varying degrees of success, and difficulties. Mostly good experiences.

1. Make sure they email or hand you the booking confirmation. Study it, twice.

2. They usually will quote the the old D1 prices. Always the highest prices.

3. Figure out what you want before you get there. Know what the prices are; you can use their PC's on the ship to get the current prices.

4. Have some idea where your favorite cabin/deck choices are on the ship.

5. Make them show you where your cabin is located and what class it is. Make sure it's not connecting, or if you need it, connecting. Obstructed view. Pullman, how many does it sleep? Port, starboard, which on some cruises actually makes a difference. (Alaska or Northern lights TA; sunset, sunrise)

6. It is VERY RARE you can get anything better, prices or otherwise, by booking onboard. If they start to tell you they will give you half off the second guest, subtlety remind them that's the same deal you get online. That's what travel agents tend to do.

7. Do make sure you get your dining preference stated, or get put on the waiting list.

8. Do make sure you tell them what size dining table you prefer.

9. Do make sure you C&A numbers are correct.

10. Do make sure you get your reservations linked BEFORE you leave the desk.

11. Do make sure your OBC and Balcony discounts are on the booking confirmation.

12. Don't think you have any chance to win the $300 OBC drawing. LOL

Probably more.

Excellent points.

Before visiting future cruise desk we alway go online in our cabin or internet cafe and price everything out. Determining ship, sailing, cabin, price and included percs ahead of time streamlines the booking process and leaves less opportunity for error. Never leave the future cruise desk without ensuring all details on confirm are correct. Don't trust them if they say they'll correct an error and send a corrected confirm.

Quick question in line with booking while on the ship (which we did last November for our upcoming November 2017 cruise). We opened the RC Visa card and now have $100 OBC showing for our upcoming cruise. Will this just be used against any charges we incur while on board or do we need to prebook an excursion or dining package in advance? I'm pretty sure I know the answer but don't want to lose the OBC (I'm guessing it will be used against any charges).